What to look for when inspecting/test driving 348? | FerrariChat

What to look for when inspecting/test driving 348?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Nov 28, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    What are some of the things I should look for specifically on a 348? Consider that I know my way around a 308 well and that I am used to them too. I know it will be more powerful, no power steering as that came with the 355, but like what to look for on the injection, ignition, does it have a high idle when cold like CIS or does it fire right up and idle around 1000rpm? It is shifted by a cable so how should this feel? My 308 moves side to side very easy would the cable make moving left to right more difficult? Should the clutch be light since it is hydraulic (right?)? (lighter than a 308?) Should the steering give just as much resistance as a 308 or more since it has wider tires on the front? What are some of the main common issues to look out for? Are there any items to look for in the engine or to test for? Where is the fuse panel located? I am scanning the archives but I want to be able to look at mechanically too and not just rely on PPIs info. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Don't do it - get a 355 instead.

3. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    First, I'm looking at getting on the waiting list for a US Lotus Elise. 355IGTB. How do you like yours? What version, any pics?

I have a 94 348 and a few things I was told to look at were the shock/suspension set up, and the doors/rockers for rust. 355 are the same as well. Service records and majore over 10years or 30K otherwise budget $4-6KUSD short term.

I have a generally stock spider with a Borla exhaust..which sounds great. Unlike earlier 348 by 94 the engine sounds even and not louder/rough at start -up. Older 80-92 cars start rough then smooth out and drop an octave after warm-up.

Try the climate control buttons its $900-1300 if they dont work (Freon conversion is 300 once its opened).

Look at the front airdam FROM underneth (Corners especially) for holes bondo skidplates and the like, look under the side rails as well for hard botteming out. Most cars have stick vents..adhesive remover and denentured alchol with patience in a turkey pan take care of the crappy coating.

Clutch should be mid throw, at the top it's thin, watch for too grabby.

Oil leaks near the 1 timing belt (355 has 2) skweeks from the belt ideler pully, rightside exhaust rattels, warped front roters ....

I love mine I'll skip the 355 and get a 360 in a few years ..or the Elise if it pans out as a fun car.

I know there is lots more to check so have a good shop go over it. I did after the fact and was still happy though. You have had these before, look hard and be sceptical

4. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr

I am too looking at a 348! not sure what to look for since I have a 308 and there is alot of changes between the two,
    I have drove a 348 and there is alot more room and power.
    Good luck in your pick.

5. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    Should the clutch be light since it is hydraulic (right?)?
    *Clutch still needs an affirmitive foot. but the release/engage is predicatble, while crisp.

Should the steering give just as much resistance as a 308 or more since it has wider tires on the front?
    *348's have NO power, needs muscles when slow. pre 92 cars have significant oversteer, later cars are Much better and with suspension changes can be a fun, quick ride. watch your tail though.

Where is the fuse panel located?
    *One is under the left fender well panel other is in the right foot well.

6. NYJETSFAN

NYJETSFAN Formula 3

May 11, 2001
    Kalifornia
    Full Name:
    Jr
    What is the best year for a 348? starting from first to the last.
    And what had the most power a spyder / tb / ts ?

THANKS

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    From what I have read and been told it is best to get a 93' or 94'. Check for all of the records, PPI. I have noticed that many say records or dealers serviced to find out they have 2 records and that is it.

8. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Thanks for the info SeaBayR. I appreciate it. I will keep you guys posted. They are some in FL that I am looking at.