What happened to the 500hp New Dodge Viper? Was it a flop? | FerrariChat

What happened to the 500hp New Dodge Viper? Was it a flop?

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Mark(study), Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What happened to the 500hp New Dodge Viper? Was it a flop? I haven't seen any, or heard anything in the mags since they changed the shape.

2. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I saw one on the road near my home about a month or so ago.

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    I live near the Motor City, the heart of Chrysler. I've only ever seen one on the road.

4. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Ive seen 1 red one driving around here in MA.

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    They are around, and with simple bolt ons have already run 10 second 1/4 miles. Lots of bang for the buck. I prefer the older GTS.

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    What's the buzz at Viper chat? Anyone know what the Viper guys are saying?

Just thought it might be interesting if the new look has slowed sales? Too classy? Viper like Ferrari seems to be trying to get away from the Boy-Racer look?

Or is it just the slow economy? I'm seeing everything on the roads except the new Viper??

7. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks Edward,
    I'll check it out. Here's what their saying so far-

Minus.....
    1. SRT rides like a truck. edit: On freeway type roads with cotinuous bumps/joints. (guess is that run-flat side walls are too stiff)
    2. Foot to gas pedal is very uncomfortable on a longer trip......pedal needs to extend farther down if possible...or maybe cruise control.
    3. The seat bolsters look nice but if your sides don't touch them they are usless except for getting in the way of my elbow when shifting.
    4. Can't comment on the heat yet....have to wait for warmer weather.

Plus....
    1. The top folds down.
    2. Feels stronger than the stock 2001 RT/10 did.
    3. Doesn't attract as much attention (plus and minus)

The worse thing is the gas pedal deal.....

8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    From Viper chat- "Just got the new Motor Trend today- Viper SRT-10 vs the Ford GT. The Viper SRT did loose in the slalom and 0 to 60, although it did win the braking contest 60-0, and it beat the GT in the quater mile."

If Dodge makes an SRT Coupe things should get quite interesting!

Did anyone see the new C&D?
    360 CS 0-60 in 4.0
    996 GT3 0-60 in 4.0
    Ford GT 0-60 in 3.3

9. luke9583

luke9583 Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Detroit Michigan
    Full Name:
    Luke Wells
    yeah you don't have to shift out of 1st to get to 60 in the GT. That's probably where most of the advantage is :)

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    They are selling as fast as they can be built. The first year goes to the loyal owners of existant Vipers.

There was a Valve issue with the first several hundred engines that are being repaired under warentee. Seems the factory tooling did not have the 3-angle cutter when the first engines were assembled.

All reports I have hears are that they are miles ahead of the old RT. Many GTS guys are waiting for the GTS version or a streetable competition coupe.

11. 150shot

150shot Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2003
    San Dimas, CA
    I agree with Mitch- they are still popular with the Viper crowd, and ALOT want GTS Style model. They are almost as rare as GTS Viper as a rarely see either unless cruising down the beach, but not in normal weekend traffic.

12. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I had a Viper GTS ACR before my C4 Cabriolet. The car was kind of scary to drive fast. I was looking forward to what the new ones were going to be like but they never did anything for me. I like the GTS more and now the can be had cheap!

Cheers