360 Stradale Vs Gallardo Auto und Motorsport | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 Stradale Vs Gallardo Auto und Motorsport

Discussion in '360/430' started by allanlambo, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    also allan, i think it's safe to say that anyone who owns a cl65 has multiple vehicles and probably more than a few exotics. my 03 cl55 IS faster than my 360 above about 50mph. i love having an everyday vehicle with huge hp and monster torque.

styling aside, i find it hard to believe that anybody here wouldn't want a 500 or 600 hp MB as a daily driver, with big time luxury and technology.

i dont think anybody who owns a cl65 is going to think he has a 'better' car than the f40 or any other exotic. but it's pretty nice knowing that you basically own the road, cuz NOTHING is going to smoke you from stop light to stop light.

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    John, isnt youre car 493hp vs the Cl65 is the same car but 612hp? Must be devestatingly fast. Also, since it is turbo, chip, exhaust turn up the boost, and nothing,.... no Murcielago, F40, f50 will come close. Change the Turbos, intercooler etc, and hello Enzo.

I myself love the Benz, but the biggest reason i would not buy one is because of how often they change, and the depreciation. Id go for the slower Bentley.

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Alan, I found that old photo we talked about here it is.

4. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    yes allan same car and it is FAST. i cant imagine what an additional 100HP+ is going to feel like. i prefer the bentley too. i'm looking forward to seeing it in person.

with this hp wars ferrari MUST do something special with the next 360

5. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    I don't care what car you're talking about, it's you method of comparison that's flawed, and one -dimensional. A car isn't fantatsic simply by going fast in a straight line.

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

same old discussion. Plus the CL65 isnt exactly a 4 doors and its a 220 000 $ car...i would expect a lot if i were paying. But it doesnt deliver..oh wait only in straight line.

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I must build on the previous comment of amenasce to respond to you and Allen. The CL65 cannot have an extra 100HP. The fact is that the CL65 engine is capable of much much more, but MB had to detune the engine because the chasis started to fall apart from all the extra power. So, I don't think it would be in any owner's best interest to fool around aftermarket with his CL65, because the fact is that the car cannot handle the power.

8. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    If i brought up the F40 it was to higlight how amazing this car is because its 16 years old , has "only" 478 hp and yet s still faster than most supercars available today.

9. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Incidentally, what's the proper pronunciation? I've heard Guy-ardo and Gah-lardo.

Gary

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Yup - same argument that we hear about the E55 - that it only offers straightline performance. There's more to a car than that. Wasn't there some thread somewhere in which a previous M5 owner seriously regretted his switch to the E55 for that very reason?

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Yeah - and you're probably one of a select number of people on this forum who have actually driven it, so I'd say you are qualified to discuss the driving sensation :)

12. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    The first is closer... its a Spanish word... the Lambo's are named after the famous bull-fighting bulls of Spain. So, the double-l is a "y" sound... but the first syllable may be a bit more of an "ah" than a long "i", depending upon how your US-accent pronounces "guy". FWIW.

13. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

:) Im afraid i didnt give the F40 a drive it deserves ! It was amazing but im just a noob when it comes to driving exceptional cars like that !

14. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Look, I am a strong Ferrari guy, own 3, have over 90000 seat miles, and love them all BUT I am tired of making and reading excuses why modern F cars of today are getting beat by "lesser' machines. I wouldn't like being out dragged by a E55 AMG with a back seat full of kids waving at me. That car is as fast in a straight line as a 575 for God sake. And for a LAMBO to kick the latest Stradale butt, well, enough said.

Yeah yeah, I know the story about "wait till the first curve' but I said those same words long ago about MG TC's being beat by Fords in a straight line but you know what, my 37 Ford was equal to or better than any MG on any road and I suspect these super sedans are not too shabby either. Besides, I suspect over 90% of non track "competative encounters" are at stop lights or in a straight line anyway.

Come on Ferrari, no excuses or stories. Your kicking butt in F1 and sports car racing (360GT, 550C etc) but are at risk of losing the street car war to "lesser" makes.

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Hubert, if its Lamborghini you are talking about, then its already definately been proven that Lambos are faster in a straightline than any competeing Ferrari, and on tracks such as the Nurburgring and Hockenheim, just as fast or faster.

As for the CL65, it absolutely does have over 100hp from the previous model, and can handle more power. There are already tuners with 700-800hp cars.

16. noony

noony F1 Veteran

Nov 25, 2003
    Seoul
    Full Name:
    Johnathan
    Slightly back on topic, I think it was CAR magazine who could barely get the stradale's 0-100kmh time under 6 secs, because it's so hard to get all that screaming power down through the RWD.

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Somehow i doubt that, not like it has tons of torque downlow like a Vette Z06 or Viper.

18. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    all what power?? it's not even 10% more than a standard modena

19. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    LouB<<<< i'm with you. i'm on my 3rd ferrari and love my 360 BUT there are just too many new cars out there and coming which will embarass the modena from stoplight to stoplight. what am i supposed to do? put a bumper sticker saying "i'll get you in the first turn" ??

it's not that i want to go out drag racing everybody, but i do want to know that i could be dominant if need be. After all it is a FERRARI !!!!

20. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "I think it was CAR magazine who could barely get the stradale's 0-100kmh time under 6 secs, because it's so hard to get all that screaming power down through the RWD"

January Car & Driver puts it at 4.0 - tell the boys at Car that it's the pedal on the right .... ;)

21. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    That's precisely WHY it is so hard to get a good launch from a 360. You need revs to break the tires loose or else it bogs down. And when you do get the tires loose it will bounce off the rev limiter for about 100 feet unless you back way off the gas pedal. There is no way the car can put all it's power down unless you are on a drag strip starting line coated with rubber.

I'll bet Car & Driver had several 0-60 runs in the 5 second range before they got that 4.0 time. A rear-engined Porsche is much easier to launch.

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL! Please, to launch the 6speed Modena, hold the revs at 5000rpm, drop the clutch, tires spin and grab, youre gone. Very easy car to launch. The Porsche on the other hand, is not. Suffers from way too much wheel-hop.

23. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    I'm talking real world experience with a 360 and a 911. You're talking out of your ass, as usual.

How many miles have you put on a 360? 10?

The 360 has a MUCH shorter first gear than a 355. Definitely more tricky to launch.

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Actually, dumbass, since ive driven quite a few 360's, sometimes for weeks at a time, and since ive owned several different iterations of the 911 series, i speak from experience. I will also have a 360 Spider in Miami now for 2 weeks.

25. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I played with a brand new S55 AMG with By Design plates on the 5 South this Sat afternoon for about 45 minutes. From a roll at 70-75mph, what a rocket ship! I'd be hesitant to throw that chassis around the canyons though. Rocketship it may be, I was struck at how tall, heavy, and floaty it was. Like the Supra, its made to be a highway monster. These cars will never see the track unless someone like me is holding the keys. :)