The New Maserati Quattroporte? Any Thoughts? | FerrariChat

The New Maserati Quattroporte? Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by notoboy, Nov 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. notoboy

notoboy F1 Rookie

Jul 8, 2003
    NYC
    Full Name:
    David
    I went to the showing of the new Maserati Quattroporte in NYC the other night. It looks much better in person than in pictures, but I question myself as to whether I'd ever buy one. The thought of having a 4 door Ferrari (of sorts) sounds like fun.

Looks nice, and has a Ferrari factory hand-built engine, but other than looks, I'm wondering about real life maintenance issues. My F-cars are awesome weekend cars, but they are definitely NOT reliable enough to use on a daily basis.

What are your thoughts on this, and/or on the car in general?

David

P.S. Because it has a Ferrari designed and built engine, I felt this question was OK to post here.

2. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    As soon as my dealer has one, I plan to run by my BMW dealer and do a side-by-side comparison of the M5 and the Quatraporte. As to your query, yes I would be giving up some reliability vs. a BMW M5. However, modern day Ferrari is much better than the old days in this respect. Contrary to your comment, my 360 has been plenty reliable for daily use. In fact, in my personal experience, its been more reliable than either my 911 or my Dodge van... and run 4x harder than either one of those. Thus, if the other positives of the Quatraporte over the M5 are much at all, they will outweigh the reliability issue.

Yes, Maserati is in 'the family'.

P.S. "notoboy"? Hmmm... I read it "not a boy"... but I just noticed that you signed "David", so I suppose that's not the reading you intended... or are you a girl whose name is "David"? (no offense intended either way... just trying to figure out who's who with all the new user names)

3. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    The roofline, and pretty much the whole car look like a daewoo.

4. India Whiskey Charlie

India Whiskey Charlie Formula Junior

May 24, 2001
    Way Out West
    I saw it last Saturday at the local dealer in Orange County, CA. A bit surprised at how big the car looks and is. Was expecting something in line with a BMW 5-series. Looks are unique the car is mostly elegant. Interior is the same. Long wheelbase contributes to lots of rear legroom. Engine behind the front axle must be good for handling. Engine sounds a lot like a 360. Sport package with uprated suspension and 19" wheels planned. Would consider one if car proves to be a better performer than the usual S-class, 7-series and A8.

5. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir

Seems like a nice cruiser. Myself I would rather have a 04 GT-3.

6. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I will save my comments until after I see it up close at Detroit Auto Show.

7. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    To me it would certainly make an attractive alternative to a "more common" 7 Series or S-class (I love both of those cars BTW) as long as reliability is there and maintenance isn't too out of the ballpark.....yeah I could drive one of those

8. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    If I'm lucky I may get to see it next month at the Orlando Auto show..

Can't wait.

9. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    only way it can compete with germans, etc is with clearly superior styling that makes you say i want that and only that. imho they missed the boat in that respect. new jag xkr is better looking and equal performance for 3/4 $. maser is off to weak start and will be lucky to make it to next round of product but i wish them luck

10. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    "ferraris are definately NOT reliable for everyday use"

This is a dead wrong myth. Most modern Ferraris are plently reliable for everyday use. My 355 is my daily driver and has run flawlessly for the last 6k hard miles

I also used my 328B as a daily transport for 15k miles, with nothing other than a 1,500 services, oil changes and tires.

Both cars have been more reliable than any P-car I've ever owned.

11. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Garage queen cars all have tons of trouble. Cars driven with high milage regardless of brand or age generally have no trouble. 95 percent of problems are related to corrosion from storage and inactivity. People just do not get this basic principal. Most Ferraris are underused and have a bad rep for this reason mainly.

Obviously new models will have some design quarks but nothing that we cannot handle.

I saw the new quattro and it looks good to me. I was especially intrigued by the engine design. It is evolutionary. I would not mind owning one.

aehaas

12. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How does Maserati get your car in and out of service if 30 ferrari's are waiting in the service bay?

BMW and MB can be slow, 2 weeks is a life-time... but how long would you wait for your Maserati to get fixed?

Ferrari's are weekend cars for most, and 30 days or 60 days to get a car fixed was not rare depending on time of year.

Maserati must have made some kind of deal to get cars in first?
    Is Maserati using FNA? Have they stocked parts so you don't have to wait for supply from over seas?

How does Maserati plan to win car customers

1. standout design? no
    2. best price in class? no
    3. record of service and quality? no
    4. love of old brand Italian cars? a few, but not many
    5. tie-in with Ferrari? why not buy a 612 or used 456

Are they still selling strong in Europe? Is there a back-lash against German luxury car domination?

I know Ferrari's way of thinking. Slap a wing on the Enzo, call it a Maser and win some GT races. Then we can sell these Maseratis like crazy

13. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I don't think that's a broad pattern, but my experience is the same as John's: my Ferrari has been more reliable than my Porsche.