How Do People React to Your Ferrari...? | FerrariChat

How Do People React to Your Ferrari...?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 365boy, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Following on from the 'Unfriendly Ferrari Owners' thread, can I ask for thoughts on the following (sort-of related) question:

If someone were trading from a 1996 blue 911 Porsche Carrera to a 1972 blue Ferrari Daytona, how are people's day-to-day reactions likely to differ, if at all, between the two cars...?

Thanks, John

(PS - I like blue cars...)

2. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    Where I live people always say may I please look at your Ferrari, and want ask about it like how much horsepower, can I see engine, what year is it and when I tell them it is a 1984 they find it hard to believe.
    I would say most people I meet are very nice people.
    I most also say most people I meet who own a Ferrari are also very nice.
    I would say over all my 3 years of owning a Ferrari has been wonderful.

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Gearheads: Love it, want to see the engine, etc.

Teens: Jaws drop, thumbs up, etc. BLING BLING!

Z28/Camero Owners: Seem to want to street race (NEVER underestimate the STUPIDITY of the other guy so i NEVER street race)

Ricers: Love the car, thumbs up from them.

Soccer Moms: Hate me. Hate their husbands even making a positive comment on the car (seriously)

Male under 10: "Nice car"

Female under 10: "Horsey on car!"

Girlfriends: Beam and glow when in car with me (among other things)

Police: Dig the ride (generally).

These have been the general reaction to the car. Drive her quite a bit so have thousands of miles of noticing the OTHER people and their reactions. And soccer moms truly DO seem to hate EVERYTHING a Ferrari stands for (total disdain).

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

4. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I guess it depends on whether you're a wage slave or not. The people I work with, including my bosses, had a highly unfavorable reaction to my 328. I had to go into damage control mode and explain costs vs. SUVs, etc.

On the street it doesn't get much reaction, I think it's due to the color of the car. That's fine with me, as I really don't want to be high profile.

5. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    I have found that most John Q public have no clue as to what a Daytona is.

6. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    'that thing have a Hemi'?

7. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Thats a great color blue, I like blue a lot also. Thinking of repainting my road 512TR azzuro 1 day when I get bored w black

Between the 96 Porsche & the 365GTB4. Huge diff I should think. There are tons of 96 Porsches on the road, in the US at least. Apart from FCA or FOC events I have seen exactly 2 Daytonas in the last year vs about 3,000 96 Porsches.

I imagine a lot of the young guys wont even know what it is until they see the Horsey :)

I get a pretty good reaction from the 512TR. Only very rarely do you find some A hole who has a problem w people driving expensive cars. Becuase I am active in the spiritual community some people think driving a Ferrari is wrong or hypocritical. I just tell them, Look, Sidartha was a Prince before he became the Buddha, He owned Elephants which would be like owning a Ferrari or a private Jet today. I just tell them my Ferrari is my Elephant :)

8. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I second all of this, except for the girlfriend part & the girl under 10 part, with regard to my 550.

Oh, and Peters: LOL !!!!!!!!!! SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER

Ah, So that explains that nasty look I got in my 308 from a Mom w her kid. So many envious nasty people. its a shame they cant appreciate art

10. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    William,

Do not think it is the "art" aspect, it is what THEY FEEL Ferrari stands for. Perhaps their impression is of male freedom, enjoying the finer things in life, a nice home, success, and perhaps skirt chasing (to name a few).

(Some truth and humor here) Well... doing my best to keep this impression a reality, so it is probably just ALL my fault folks. Love my home, chasing skirts... and enjoying freedoms. Sorry, i have been VERY bad and it causes other Ferrari owners grief. Guess my "fun gal" will spank me for it... ;-)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

11. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I've never gotten any nasty responses. Once in awhile someone will yell out "mid-life crisis car! ". (I'm only 38, does that constitute mid-life?) One time I felt really bad though. One Sunday, I stopped by a buddy's house who is a car nut to show him my 355. His wife said he now works on Sundays and he is miserable about it because he hates his job, bills are piling up and things are miserable all the way around. Here I am sitting in my 355 while she gripes up a storm! Good thing the car moves because I high-tailed it out of there in 4.6 seconds!

12. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I would say 50% just don't care or pretend not to, many people are not into cars and could care less.

The rest range from snapping pics while driving and following the car to get a better look to ones that feel the need to prove something about their car to the occasional negative remark from a jealous jerk.

13. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    The worst reaction I experienced with my 360 Modena is this:

I was pumping my own gas in Long Island and some lowlifes drove by in their pick-up truck and stopped, then screamed...."What...you couldn't afford a Lamborghini?!?" and then peeled out. LOL

The best reaction I experienced (which happens all the time) is:

I get these BIG COLGATE SMILES from people as they pass my car!

14. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I'd say most people couldn't care less what the car is. But people I've met are generally positive. The soccer mom types are a menace around here.

When driving in a group on the freeways, we get huge thumbs up and kids plaster themselves against the windows of their parent's car.

15. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Steve I can relate as a fellow single Hedonist :)

16. shelbee

shelbee Guest

A bunch of teenagers on Friday night pulled up side by side and try to talk, admiring the car otherwise if I just look straight ahead, they will shout to get the attention. Mostly nice though,

17. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yesterday as I went through an underpass I floored it in second. Let's just say the 360 with no cats and a Tubi is LOUD, and as it approaches redeline in a tunnel it reall screams. As I slowed after exiting the underpass the guy behind me flloored it and comes along side in his high-lift 4x4 beater pickup. He has a beard,mullet, a pierced lip and, as I could see by the huge grin on his face, two missing front teeth. He gave me TWO thumbs up as he went by.

18. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Ah, a Kodak moment! Those are the memorable ones!

19. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

#19 maranelloman, Nov 30, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    The only negative response I have gotten is from my boss. He drives a Buick Park Avenue that retails for $42K, but he thinks I spent $100K plus for the car. I showed him how much I paid (less than his $42K), but he just cannot believe that even a used Ferrari costs under $100K. HE also makes 10 times more than me. Oh well.

The best responses I have I gotten are girls who flash their breast for me. This has happened a few times, and they all were really good looking. One even invited me to a party that night, but I politely declined (most for fear of my wife cutting off my manhood).

But the best response I have gotten was from a fellow student who saw me driving the Ferrari to school one day. She sent me a naked picture of herself with an invitation for a weekend of fun. Again, I had to politely decline for fear of my wife doing bodily harm to me.

Ken

21. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    of course we all get the teenagers in Mustangs or hopped up ricers who do the fly by. I just wave & let them go. No sense getting arrested for something so dumb as racing a ricer

22. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ken,

>>...The best responses I have I gotten are girls who flash their breast for me....<<<

Oh, forgot about those at the beach this past summer. Fortunately i am single so please feel free to pass party info and phone numbers my way. Am one of those guy who is always, eh hem, up for a good time :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

<insert M-Man's Flashing Boob Girl Here>

23. Those have to be the best reactions of owning a Ferrari.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Gee, I did not go to those schools. I may have to go back to the right school.

25. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I think Rob has had some breasts flashed at him as well. I must be driving in the wrong places.

I had a college kid come up to me last time I bought gas. He was stunned, said he'd never seen a Ferrari before. I let him sit in it, thought he was going to wet his pants. He asked if I'd mind if he asked much it cost, I told him less than my Suburban.