rear mechanical parking brake help (brembo) | FerrariChat

rear mechanical parking brake help (brembo)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by atlantaman, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I need suggestions on mechanical rear parking brakes. I designed and made new front and rear brakes for my 308 and was intending to buy BREMBO mechanical parking brakes (like on 360's) but have had a falling out with them.
    I have a faxed written quote for the calipers at 100.00 /side from Eric Dahl, an engineer there. Eric has left and now BREMBO is refusing to honor the quote and asking over 250/side for the units.
    I have a set of wilwoods here but do not want to use a "floater".

Anyone know of any other mechanical parking brakes?? anyone have a friend at BREMBO that can restore their good name--If this is their idea of good business they should be flogged.

****DON'T BUY BREMBO*****

2. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Charles,this may not be as close to home as you like but may be of some help,
    www.ultimasports.co.uk
    they fit a mechanical park brake to the rear of there cars(vented and none vented)ive seen it at a show i went to this year the body was off the car,i asked how much they were and im sure they were £100 per side,with postage would still be a good saving,try the web site the calipers may be on there or ring them they are quite helpfull,
    cheers
    Dale.

3. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
  4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    What did you end up using for the rear parking brakes?

JD

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    ahhh--1st gear

as of yet no-one and been too much help and Brembo is still on my SH*% list
    Have a set of Wilwoods but it is going to be a real pain to install them

6. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    How bout using the rear brakes off of a 348? maybe the rotor will fit on a 308. If so you can get them used fairly cheap. I have an old set of rear rotors in my basement that I took off of my car. I had to replace them because they could not be turned. If you would like to try to see if they fit you are welcome to them. I live in towne lake not far from you. Just send me a private message and we can set up a time for you to come get them.

7. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Thanks for the offer but I have a custom rotors and calipers that are larger than 348's.

Actually on some 328 models there was a drumb style parking brake inside the rotor hat and that is nice but there again--i would have to go thru and design another set of rotors to fit and get new rear uprights and make new suspension arms to go with it...

The 360 has the perfect little Brembo mechanical calipers to fit but they (the company) is being a pain to work with

hoping to see the local 360 that got wiped out by the hockey player come up for sale sometime and get a crack at buying to ones from it.

8. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison

Would you happen to have the Brembo part numbers and contact info or the calipers? I'm doing up a system for a build I'm doing and decided to "bite the bullet" and put up with a bit of pain for the end result.

Thanks

Jeff

9. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Jeff---I made about 10 calle today and a few e-mails and finally located someone that might help us out. Will let you know if we can see a reasonable price soon

10. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Once again I have communicated with Brembo and again they are unwilling to meet the price that I was quoted (typed on company letter head) for the calipers--those guys do not reliable-and continue to be a pain.

IF you quote something in writing--then honor it!!!--even if you priced it too low--does not matter..

11. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    Hey Atlantaman,

did you make caliper spacers to enable the use of larger rotors with stock calipers?
    If you find a stuffed 360 I might go for the wheels/tires???

12. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    No--no stock calipers allowed---have 4-puck units all around---exactly 2x more braking force than original--and really smooth too.