My 1990 348 TS | FerrariChat

My 1990 348 TS

Discussion in 'Texas' started by ShanB, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Hey all: I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that listened to my numerous dumb questions and responded to my e-mails (special thanks to Kelly Hayes!). After trying to decide between a TR, F355 or 348, I decided on a 1990 348 TS w/ 32,000 miles and in great condition. The price was also right (thank you Chuck Ligon).

When is the next Moorespeed tech session????

My first tasks will be to take all the nasty melting parts out and refinish them (almost done), change out the battery (bough an Optima), and renew all the fluids. I've posted this before - I'm still looking for DIY'ers to get together with so I can learn more about the car, so if anybody in the San Antonio/Austin area needs an extra set of hands to help do a major, please e-mail me.

Thanks,

Shan

2. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    Congratulations on the new 348. I can't wait to get a ride in it. I saw one tonight at Moorespeed here in Austin and thought about you. I blew a coolant hose and had to get towed in this evening. Post some pictures Shan.

PS. I vote that you keep the red carpets.

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Thanks Kelly. Actually I like the red carpets too. The center console is done. I also finished stripping the goo and painted the window panels (plastic triangles at the front of the windows) as well as the side A/C vents. The center vent is prepped and is drying so I can paint it tomorrow night. Here are some pics I took tonight - not the best but it's late. I'll post more later.

Shan

4. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    another shot of the car in the garage

5. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Voodoo aluminum shift knob - I couldn't resist...

6. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    center A/C vent stripped, sanded, washed and drying - will be ready to paint tomorrow...

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Congrats!

8. alanmawong

alanmawong Rookie

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Shan,

Congratulations, the car looks great. I also just got a 348 and I'm having the sticky vent problem. Where can I find information on the R&R procedure? Are you using something special to remove the old coating?

Thanks,

Alan, 1995 348 Spider

9. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Alan - congrats to you too!

Check the archives and you'll find some good info, but basically...

I (carefully) popped out the vents and took the vanes apart, soaked everything in a good solvent for a while and then used a rag and some elbow grease to get the sticky coating off. I sprayed with satin black auto trim paint, although some folks apparently don't and leave the plastic as-is. I am very happy with the results. (see pic).

Keep in mind that the "0" and "1" graphics on the vents will be wiped away by doing this, but I would rather have non-sticky vents. I did the same on the other parts of the interior trim (side mirror panels, center console, steering column, etc) now my interior is pretty much free of the sticky coating. Hope that helps.

Shan

10. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    another shot:

11. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    driver side door (mirror) trim:

12. 348 spy

348 spy Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2002
    LEWISVILLE
    Full Name:
    JANO
    shan, congrats on the car.i wood like to see the car one day.i travel to san antonio 8 or 9 time's a year.

13. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Wow, good looking 348. I'm impressed how you worked on air vent, too. It turned out great. Looks new.
    Enjoy your car! (I guess no need for me to tell you that??)