Khamsin 1234 | FerrariChat

Khamsin 1234

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Attitude928, Nov 13, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
  2. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Beautiful. It looks a lot like a front engined GT4. Not surprising since it was Gandini who designed both. I had a good look at photos of Khamsin recently. Seats, door trim style, trunk release handles all are same on the later 308GT4.

Was it is like to drive?

3. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I love old Maseratis! They are SO exotic....do you drive it everyday weather permitting? How does it run/handle? Cool, cool car!

4. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Oh yeah...

I think the Khammer (OK, I just made that up !) is my favourite non-Ferrari.

Fabulous looking, with that beautiful 'all engine' profile. A Daytona for the early 1980s..

I fondly remember a day out at Modena Concessionaires (not to be confused with Maranello Concessionaires), which 20 years ago was the Maserati & De Tomaso importer for Great Britain, in a charming place (not) called West Bromwich.

I still have the photos of three brand new Khamsins - plus a couple of Meraks - waiting for despatch to dealers. They must have been some of the very last built, as that was c.1982.

John

5. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Your right it's a Gandini (of Miura, Espada, Countach & Diablo fame). The Khamsin is the best Citroen ever built (better than the SM), since the hydraulics control the steering, brakes, clutch, seats & pop-up lights.

The 4.9L 315bhp Maserati V-8 engines roars (my car has Euro headers). When the Webers need tuning, one can drive all over Brooklyn setting off car alarms. The engine is very reliable and a torque monster (the Euro version puts out 354 lb-ft @ 4000rpm). It is derived from the Maserati 450S race car, whose engine was in turn derived from combining two I-4 Maser 200SI racecar engines.

The car is initially a challenge to drive. The steering is only 2.0 turns lock to lock, so if you think of changing lanes...you're there. It's a luxury GT with racecar characteristics. Weight distribution is 50%/50%, so the car is amazingly balanced. The Bora is a great mid-engined car with quicker accelleration. However, different Trident buffs have commented that the Khamsin not only looks better, but will even beat the Bora around the track. Either way, both cars are great deals.

The Khamsin has independent suspension with 4 springs in the rear. The suspension is very tight. My WRX serves as my daily warrior and is certainly faster off the line, but I've been giving the Khamsin a good workout both in Brooklyn & in the mountains and twisties Upstate NY. My car has alot of history and has travelled (without me) through the Rockies, much of Canada, Texas, the midwest, Florida, etc. I'm trying to take good care of her body, engine, hydraulics, etc. since there were only 421 built. Maserati's have both the heritage and the mystery.

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Very nice! I agree that the older Maseratis are very exotic and great looking cars. I saw a nice looking Bora this morning and while I love it and the Merak, the Khamsin is a great looking car :)

7. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
  8. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Thanks Thomas. I see that you've also owned a Citroen. Your Boxer looks great. If I took the Ferrari plunge I either get a Boxer or a 330GTC/365GTC. They both seem to give the "best ride for the money."
    It must be great to drive that Boxer through the French countryside!

9. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Here are two great images of this great car.

The first is from the recent Maserati Factory history book of the Coupes (very highly recommended if you haven't seen it) and the second from a c.1982 edition of 'Le Grandi Automobili' (similar to 'Style Auto' but produced in the 1980s).

John

10. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    Khamsin 2