Little sisters boyfriend want's a new car ... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Little sisters boyfriend want's a new car ...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by twinturbo, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I understand the importance of connections, but going to a certain college only for that reason is, imo, wrong.

2. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Tim- I can see your point, but I wouldn't go that far.

Connections are NOT to be under-estimated, and can certinly be considered part of the educational expierence college may provide.

Sure academics *should* come first if everyone were being honest. However, if total honesty in reasons for being in college were the norm, most institutions would be listed under the "High Priced Day-Care and some smartening-up" section in the yellow pages...

And anyone who's lived for more than a few years who claims to have gotten there 'all on his own' withought relying on any connection of any kind, is a liar.

Best!
    Ben.

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I understand what you are saying. Heck, as for connections- i'd take any advantage i can get. some people just put to much emphisas on knowing the right people. Its like they just use people to get ahead, or it seems that way. Im not like that- needless to say i am not in business because i would not get ahead.

4. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Tim- I hear you, the world is full of people who will just use and use and use. That ain't me either.

Real 'connections' are not like that, I see it as more a group of people who get together to help each other out where possible. Maybe it'll come back and benefit you later, maybe not. But at least we're trying.

I belive it's possible to live your life and treat others well, while growing successful financially and in buisness at the same time.

Best!
    Ben.

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Exactly, some people only want to recieve help and not give it. They also want to step all over other people to get on top. I would rather pick someone up so we can help each other to the top but you and i both know the world doesnt always work that way.
    I dont much like the word "connection". It implies that their sole purpose is to advance yourself. Thats the case alot of the time, but not always. Its also too broad of a word since a "conection" could be a family member or a family members friend, or a alum, etc.

6. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    I mean this in the nicest way possible.

I don't know how pretentious Dallas is, but that is no excuse for the kid to be pretentious. And if he is going to play the spoiled brat game tell him to play it right and go to daddy and tell him that $50k won't buy you ****; surely nothing even close to a status symbol. Yes, even for college students.

Someone mentioned this earlier and I agree. I like the M3. Very capable car and most definitely more than adequate for a student. Sturdy, reliable, roomy inside, free maintenance, good warranty, parts and service are quick and readily available (so the car won't take time from classes).

Cheers

7. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Give that man a prize! Common sense run amok. Oh, and, "A GOOD fight is one you win."

As for the subject...My deal was that whatever I earned before the purhase of my first car, my father matched. I bought a '69 Z28 with 4 wheel disk and an M22 Muncie Rockcrusher. It was MINE.

Add to pitch......BUT DAAAAAD!!!!! (STOMP, STOMP, STOMP) Joey's dad is the president of Circuit City and HEEEEE got a Turbo Carrera!

DL

8. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    this is too true in that area. I've lived up in big D, actually Addison, and spent many times at SMU with a brother who went to school there and now, some 15 years later, works there.

the problem with the pretentious dallas comment is something you pointed out - how you don't want to explain it to the 18 year old kid why it is a good car, but still not a 911. the reason a car should be bought shouldn't be about the status symbol but because you actually enjoy it, have a passion for it, or well... just need it for X Y or Z purposes. I wouldn't suggest getting a high dollar car by any means, even if it is a lotus for 39K, while he's in college.

9. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Why is nobody suggesting an F-Car?

328!

10. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Phew... shaking my head here. I don't recall even a single student-owned Porsche where I went to school (Johns Hopkins). Most of us didn't even own cars.

Parents can do what they want but buying an 18 year old a $50k car sure does set up some expectations. Either daddy keeps supporting for a loooong time, or Jr's going to be in hock to his eyeballs keeping up appearances.