To all you ex-smokers... | FerrariChat

To all you ex-smokers...

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lesterm, Nov 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I quit smoking about two months ago. Since that time, I have had urges and cravings to light up again; however, I restrained myself. Today I was out and picked up a pack of Parliament Lights to see if I was actually missing anything. I light up the cigarette and took a few puffs; what the hell is that crap? It was totally repulsing. At any rate, I'm glad that I didn't find it enjoyable. I can't believe I used to smoke half a pack per day. Nuts.

Any ex-smokers out there who can't stand cigarettes?

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Congratulations that you quit smoking! Both of my grandparents died young (about 55) from lung cancer and it was very painful to watch. No smoking or drinking for me...

Out of curiosity, how did you manage to quit? I know a few people at school that are trying to stop smoking but are either too lazy to, or cant seem to find the right method. If the first is the case, then I cant imagine what will help them, but if not, what really works?

3. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Cold turkey. It's the only way in my opinion. I woke up and had enough of the smelly fingers, bland food, and sore throat. I took my full cigarette case and $700 Dupont light and threw them in the dumpster. I tried to quit in measures before; however, cutting the cigarette intake does not work.

4. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Congrats!!
    Cold Turkey works best. Take all that cigarette money an put it into a Ferrari! Certainly a better vice...

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i quit once for 4 days... i almost killed someone...

Congratulations on quitting, i know it's tough... Cold turkey's the only way to do it, in my opinion... Don't go out and buy another pack, either; that was a dangerous move... Glad you didn't like them...

6. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I don't recommend cold turkey, as it's just too painful and prone to failure (even though it does work for some). I tried cold turkey once and I was literally freaking out and climbing the walls after about 15 hours; was a really unpleasant experience. I remember "snapping" at about 2AM and running down the street to a 7-11 for my Marlboros.

Then I tried Zyban and the patch (not concurrently) - both unsuccessful.

Finally, what worked for me was Nicorette. Everytime I felt the urge, I would chew a piece and it really took the edge off and allowed me to calm down. In the early going, I was chewing about 6 pieces a day for about an hour each time, and eventually the day comes when you just don't need it anymore. Feels great, and it's so nice to not smell like smoke anymore. I'm actually embarrassed and pissed off at myself that I smoked a pack a day for 7 years.

By no means do I look down on smokers as weak or anything - I was there, I know how hard it is. I'm not sure if it's true, but I heard somewhere that nicotine is more chemically addictive than heroin (?).

BTW, two final issues put me over the top and prompted me to quit:

1) I resented the hell out of the fact that I had allowed myself to become addicted to something (control issues :)), and
    2) Obviously can't smoke inside anywhere anymore, and one day, during a vicious Ontario blizzard, I was standing out back at the office getting my post-lunch "fix" in a -40 windchill, with my fingers and ears frozen and my knees knocking from the cold, and I just thought, "This is bull****!!!"; I was so angry that my addiction had me standing in a *%$#ing snowdrift in the middle of a blizzard, and that was that.

7. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I know the feeling... I've been in my fair share of rainstorms and blizzards because of smoking.

It's good to know that Nicorette works. I've only heard one story about Nicorette and it was not successful. Essentially, my uncle's friend used to smoke about two packs a day. He decided to try Nicorette and after a week or so, he was addicted to both Nicorette and cigarettes.

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Lesterm, right on! My wife and I quit cold turkey about 6 months ago. We started smoking "socially" about 6 years ago, and that lead us down the usual path. After trying to quit a few times, this time it stuck. We've been out a lot, around all our smoking friends, and it's just not there any more. It's all between the ears. You know going into it if you're serious about quitting, and if you are, you don't need any aids. And I think the biggest part is the routine. There was a certain ritual to it that was hard to let go of. But we're definitely glad we did. Good job, and keep it up.

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    DAMN! I really admire thise that have quit. It's a *****! I'm a pack a day. I am not sure I can quit. During the work days that I visit my customers, I will not smoke because of the smell. I wear a patch during these times and while flying. I also do not smoke in any of my cars. I believe I do not have the will power to quit. Coupled with the fact that my two smokes in the AM with my coffee would be sorely missed.

10. atheyg

atheyg Guest

My dad smoked Viceroys for 25 years, he went to a hypnotist and never smoked again, it works but I think you really need to want to quit to be successful

11. detailman

detailman Formula Junior

May 26, 2002
    Indiana & South Caro
    Full Name:
    David
    I used to smoke cigars reguarly. I actually enjoyed them, what was I thinking,I finally got sick of the stinky fingers and bad breath and smoky clothes. I quit cold turky and maybe once a year I'll buy one and try to smoke it and even though I dont inhale it still stiffels me. I know several people that have used the "Smoke away system" and it dose actually work very shocked to find out that something on TV reallu does to the job.

12. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Sounds like you're not ready to quit smoking yet lesterm, if you're finding an excuse to go out an buy a pack of smokes.

I quit almost 2 years ago. I used the patch and thankfully it worked. I wouldn't mind having a cigarette at this very minute but I won't because I prefer knowing I'm not damaging my health anymore with those damn things.

Don't waste your time and $ on patches/gums/inhalors/hypnotists if you're not ready to quit-if you really don't want to quit.

Good luck to you, by the way. I hope you find a way to quit if that's what you want to do.

13. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    Not an ex-smoker (Heck I'm 15) but I admire the guts yall have to quit smoking! Keep at it, my uncle used to smoke and had two heart attacks, even after quiting, so I've learned a near hard way not to even start to think about smoking. Like said before, put the money towards a vice that's actually enjoyable and won't give you problems down the road.. wait.. Ferrari?! :D

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

I quit in August of 1986. Wife and I got into our plane, forgot the cigarettes, we wre on the way to Mexico. Since we had gone 4 hours without a cigarette, we decided to quit. It worked, haven't had a cigarette since, but I've got to tell you they still smell ok.

Art

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    I was a 2 pack-a-day smoker for ten years (Marlboro Red). It was to the point where I would go out in the rain after 9:00pm if I only had half a pack. Smoked in the shower every morning. BAD.

I quit with the patch 2-21-92. Three days in, I lit one up and puked my guts out! All I had to do was recollect that feeling and I overcame the urge to smoke.

Incidentally, I switched (by recommendation of another ex-smoker friend) to an ultra light brand 6 months before I quit for 2 reasons:

1. If you smoke any brand of ultra light long enough, they will taste strong after a while.

2. If I was going to smoke, I may as well limit the nicotine.

I was NOT a ritgheous non smoker simply because I hated them and it never made a difference to me what they said anyway.

The only brand I can tolerate as a second hand smoker is Marlboro.

DL

16. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    It took me twenty years out of THIRTY total to quit. I started 'quiting' about 10 years after I started.

Pack and a half to two a day. Lights and ultra lights, still deliver the same 17 toxic poisons as regular cigarettes.

I quit on Nicorette which is another form of nicotine, so is the patch (didn't work). I stayed off of cigarettes for 18 months this time.

I also quit cold turkey which is a good way to get it out of your system quickly to relieve the cravings but difficult under stressfull conditions.

I quit after using Zyban (NOT a nocotine substitute). It took away the nervous 'jonseing'. I didn't have a cigarette for two years after that. I started again because I quit caring weather I smoked or not.

I finally came to the realization that if I didn't get cancer I would die from Emphesyma, period!, guaranteed!. My lungs hurt, I couldn't wake up in the morning, felt like crap all day, couldn't go without a smoke for more than a half hour.

I was tired of being treated like a second class citizen. Incidentally, I haven't seen anybody in my club smoke either. Why crap up a nice Ferrari with cigarette burns and stench?

Because my insurance wouldn't cover Zyban or any other smoking cessation product (can you beleive that?!) my doctor wrote me a prescription for Wellbutrin for my 'depression'. Same exact drug as Zyban. Instead of taking it for just a month I took it for two months. I quit smoking completely after starting the Wellbutrin the week before. No cravings, No jonesing, No irratibility. It's been over 3 and a half years now.

I still like the smell of a freshly lit cigarette but I HATE the smell of second hand smoke. I still get an urge to smoke once in a while too but as long as I stay busy and continue to care I don't have a problem.

If I make it another 10 years with no cancer showing up in my lungs I will have it made.

I know I am not missing anything. If anybody out there wanting to quit but is unsure...........it can be done. If I can you can.

Good luck to you all, DJ

17. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I smoked a pack or two for 10 years. I look back and consider smoking cigs as one of the stupidist things I've ever done in my life... and quitting one of my great accomplishments. I see young people smoking today and just feel sorry for them. If they only understood what they were putting their lungs through...

Like most people it took me about 10-15 tries to actually quit. When you decide you're ready... really ready, you'll quit. I quit cold turkey and went through at least 150 packs of Trident sugarless gum (the Nicorette, etc. never worked). Who knows how that might effect me in the future but it worked... I've been off cigs for 15 years.

None of our friends or neighbors smoke cigs... I really don't know anyone who smokes anymore. It seems most educated people have figured out the fact that cigs absolutely, positively will kill you at a younger age. My 10 year habit will most likely knock a couple from me.

To anybody trying to quit, you can do it... be persistent! Good luck!!!

18. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I smoked 1 to 2 packs a day,for 17 years. Quit smoking cold turkey 12 years ago this December 10th. I can't believe what those things cost these days,and that people are willing to pay that much to go to an early grave! When I started in 1974. A pack was .50cents,and a carton (Marlboros) was under $5.00! When I quit in 1991,now smoking Kools. They were $1.50 a pack,and under $15.00 a carton. Now,almost $5.00 a PACK! I quit cold turkey one week when I had a really bad upper respiratory infection. I didn't,(couldn't) smoke for a week. I thought to myself,"If I can go a week without smoking,then I must not really be addicted and can quit". I kept the 1/2 pack of open Kools in the console of my car,thinking that they were stale,and if I ever did get an urge,I'd light it up,and it would really taste like Sh*t. (worse than they do already-?) And,I'd toss it out. But,I never got the urge. The big test was going out drinking. I stayed away from bars for a couple of weeks,(don't drink anymore,anyway) And,when I went to one,still no urge. Also,I had a few other good reasons to quit. I became a Father in June of '91,and I didn't smoke in the house,as I didn't want to ruin a new baby's perfect lungs. So,I had to always go outside. How Stupid is that! Second,I saw my (ex) wifes Father die a VERY painful,VERY slow,Death from lung cancer. He literally deteriorated before our eyes in about 6 months. That cancer is terrible sh*t. I saw ,not only what it did to this 54 year old man,but to his 2 kids,(my ex and ex brother-in-law) And,I vowed that I would NEVER do that to my kids.( who will never know that Grandpa because of that)

19. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Congratulations, all of you!

The stuff is actually more neuro-chemically addictive than Heroin. And they are so toxic, a normal landfill will not accept them.

They have to call Haz-Mat.

Best!
    Ben. (ritous ****** non-smoker who loves CA ;)

20. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    PS. When asked why I don't quit I would ALWAYS answer, "I just did. I quit 40 times per day!"

DL

21. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I tried Zyban and it gave me some hellacious dreams that bordered on nightmares. What's next to break the habit?

22. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Every time you have a craving, cut off a limb. You should be able to quit that night :)

23. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Jordan...WOW! Thanks! I'll try that!

24. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Peter,

The first and most important step is that mentally, a "switch" has to go off where you tell yourself, "enough".

When I tried Zyban and then the patch, I wasn't mentally ready to quit, so of course, I failed. I enjoyed that first smoke of the day (with my morning coffee) way too much. The best part of eating a nice meal was the post-meal smoke - pure nirvana!

Since the mind is so powerful, you can't fool yourself and you can't lie to yourself - if you don't want to stop smoking, you are not going to stop. Zyban, patch, Nicorette etc. are not magic - they will only help you if you're serious. Good luck.

Joe

25. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Joe V, bingo! You've got to be mentally prepared to quit. FWIW, when I quit, I broke everthing down to short term goals. I quit for an hour and made it. I quit for a day and made it. I quit for a week and made it. Make it day-to-day or even hour to hour. That way, you get to reward yourself more often. Quitting forever seems impossible, quitting for a couple of days is easier mentally. Smoking also requires physical actions so go buy some sugarless gum... a lot of it.