360cs vs 360 spyder | FerrariChat

360cs vs 360 spyder

Discussion in '360/430' started by titanium360, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    what does everyone think about the resale value for the 360cs compared to spyder? my 04 spyder should be here by the end of feb 04 and i am thinking about getting a cs but am very shy about pulling the trigger. i love the open top and but want to have the performance. I know that the cs market has a very limited customer base and was wondering what kind of hit i will take within one year?

2. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    anyone has a picture of titanium 360cs?

3. shelbee

shelbee Guest

IMHO

I prefer spider over CS. Off course I am not a track kind of guy. I am pretty sure that although CS is slighty faster than the 360, it rides harder too, suspension and feeling to the road.

If you like convertible (I do) get the spider and have one V12 for a coupe, like 550 or 575M

It is just me though

4. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    if you cant afford to take the hit maybe you shouldnt own the car. if you lose you lose. who cares. drive it and enjoy it, drive them both and enjoy. if you lose, so what, go make more. if you cant afford to loose then dont buy it. seems like a very silly way to make a decision for a car that you should have passion for.

5. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Thank F**K i did not buy a 456,a loss of around £90K. I admire people who saw and took that hit, or do i???

6. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Or of course there may be certain on this thread who can.Titanium360 was only asking a question Tim.

7. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Tim maybe you want to loan the money? take it easy! this is forum to express your opinion and get intelligent replies back not to attack . maybe i should get in your line of business to be able to afford my passion and not to think about tomorrow. WOW this chat line is realy getting F--ked up!

8. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Shelbee:

Unfortunately i don't have the luxury to own both cars so the decision becomes alot more difficult. i drove my cousin's 04 575M F1 which he just picked up over the weekend and was extremely impressed with the ride and the power.

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    By that logic, someone who is passionate about the Ferrari 360 such that they could stretch to buy one should never do so... only people who could stretch to buy an Enzo should buy a 360.

Or consider the guy who can afford the cash assets tied up in a 456, can even afford that depreciation expense, but cannot *justify* to himself the depreciation expense... if he's on the fence between 360 CS and 360 Spyder, the level of depreciation may be the kicker.

And so on.

Tim, your comments are offensive to many, and very narrow-minded. You don't have to like wasting money in order to own a Ferrari.

10. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    This is my feeling. I just saw a CS, and I would take that car over a spyder every day of the week and twice on sunday. But shelton also had about five or six spyders on the floor, for no less than $225K. So I would buy the spyder sell it to a friend for $200K and get the CS, or the 550 Brachetta (sp?). The sticker on the CS was $195K, at that price I would be looking at a 575. But the CS, is just so nice.

11. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    To answer the original question...

The 360 spider resale should remain solid until the spider version of the 360 Modena replacement becomes available... and then it depends upon the differences and the pricing of that.

The 360 CS resale should remain solid unless a bunch of the buyers of it aren't really track-guys... and the loudness and roughness has them dropping them quickly... in which case there may be some severe depreciation.

Thus, if you're looking to flip it in a year, the spider is the safer bet; if you're looking to flip it in two, its a toss up. I suggest you just get what *you* want. (If its not clear how to minimize expense, then just focus on maximizing benefit.)

12. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Brian, have you driven a cs as of yet? how is the ride around town? My dealer should be getting one this week and hope to test drive it.

13. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    that attitude is how people go from rich to poor. i work too hard for my money, i will ALWAYS be concerned about losing money. and i do not see too many people who can afford the car having a 'who cares' attitude about the lost. most people who have made money have done so because they are shrewd with their finances.

14. Tim

Tim Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    get real. if you are buying a car based on the fact of "will I loose money" then plain and simple, you should NOT be buying it !! not trying to be offensive but still same reply, if you cant afford it DONT buy it. if it offends you my appologies but if the shoe fits....

narrow minded? give me a break. thats for the people that are buying a car based on "will I loose money"

15. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    No, I haven't and don't expect to be able to until mine arrives. Should be this month... such anticipation... like a 5 year old awaiting Santa... ;)

16. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Given that regular 360 prices are still high - I think the CS prices will hold firm for 2+ years at least. The limited production numbers (900) will keep them in demand (IMHO). They will always appeal to a certain set - so I think the risk of large depreciation is low.

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Geez, Tim. Time to back off from this one. Gauging potential depreciation is a legitimate exercise before buying any car, in fact you're just not doing your due diligence if you skip this step. Unless you're Bill Gates of course. And it's "lose" not "loose".

Gary

18. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    You're right... your thinking is not narrow-minded... its moronic. There is a big difference between being able to "afford" something and being "happy to spend money" on something.

I have billionaire friends who could easily "afford" an Enzo... but they would NOT have considered the depreciation on a 360 the last few years an acceptable cost for the value they got from driving it. Of course, they aren't car-nuts, so they simply don't value the car experience the way I do.

There's a whole spectrum of people. Some can easily afford to buy a 360 and give it away... but still would NOT buy one for themselves because they perceive the depreciation as more than the value received. For such people, the question asked in this thread is perfectly reasonable.

And as John points out, there are a *lot* of people that fit that... they may find all the cars discussed in the various threads parallel to this one as highly desirable... and they may choose based upon the one that will cost the least... not price tag, which is irrelevant to them... but depreciation expense.

You're the one who needs to "get real", Tim... and get a grip on on basic accounting and valuation.

19. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    Brian -

We're definitely in agreement on this issue, and I'm new to the whole Ferrari scene, but I thought the 360 had held its value pretty well the last few years. What is the price history?

Gary

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you want to drive the car buy the CS, if you want to be seen in the car, buy the Spider.

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    resale value aside...one car vs the other comes down to...

if you aren't going to track the car, you will probably not realize much of a difference in the cars driving around town. it might be a little more umph, but generally speaking, if the cs gives a little more on the g-meter, you won't see it on the streets. only the track. so the question comes down to sound. so you are looking at either a cs or a spyder with a tubi exhaust on it.

which one would you be more happy with? and which one will you be driving and saying to yourself, "I wish I had the cs, becaue it is that much faster, lighter, etc." or will you be saying, "this is too much and not enough, and I wish I could have a drop top in this exotic."

22. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    Gary, you crack me up! Allot.

No wait, I mean alot, no, uh,...a LOT!

Russ

PS:

TITANIUM 360 : Those two cars are SO night and day. I have owned a coupe AND a Spider. Consider the CS at one extreme, the coupe in the middle and the Spider at the other extreme. These cars are so different that I would seriously consider owning both at the same time. Problem is, however, my well is not that deep! (yet)

Buy what your heart tells you to buy. Buy what YOU want to DRIVE.

23. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Brian, I find your response right on in every way and also agree that the resale hit is a very valid part of the research for the purchase of any big ticket item. There are many enthusiasts that work for passion in fields that do not generate rewards in high monetary renumeration but in returns of the heart and soul. That does not mean that we(as I include myself in this category as a healer and teacher first and foremost) can not have a passion for fine automobiles, homes etc etc. We, may have to budget very carefully to indulge this passion, so resale becomes even more important. I like to trade in and out of cars and while I generally have more than one, I must be very careful and astute to allow this passion its freedom. I find Tims remarks offensive and for him to assume that every one who has a passions for nice cars can damn the costs is ridiculous.

24. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    I agree with Mitch,

I changed my Spider order to the Stradale for that exact reason. Although the Spider is a beautiful car, I want a Ferrari for what it is to me, a drivers car, not to what it is to most everyone else, a show piece. The Stradale is a drivers car.

Another consideration I had was that when the next gen. comes out in a few years; if I have the Stradale, I will be happy keeping it as it will continue to be unique. If I have the Spider, I may not be as content and want to trade it for the newer version, becuase to be seen in the older version is not quite like being seen in the newer version.

25. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Well, How about everybody agrees to be in the neutral zone.

Wait to get the car 2 years after it came out???

So the car is still good and fresh and it depreciated a little bit???