How much money do you spend maintaining your Ferrari or other Exotic a year? | FerrariChat

How much money do you spend maintaining your Ferrari or other Exotic a year?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Ferruccio, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

1. under $1,000

2. $1000 to $2,000

3. $2000 to $3,000

4. $3,000 to $4,000

5. over $4,000

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon

2. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    On advarage of course. how much do you spend on advarage

3. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Do you mean 'AVERAGE'?

4. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    adverage why the hell do you think I meant that? LOL

5. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    For those who have answered the poll, it would be extremely useful to see which models and how many miles/year to go along with these costs.

Drive Ferrari x for y miles a year and you will expect z in costs on average is something a non-owner like myself who wants a Ferrari but fears the reaper on maintenance.

New or expanded poll?

A spreadsheet showing the various costs for the models and how often you drive them would be something incredibly useful for the FAQ. Just an idea, though it would take a lot of input to 'chart' true adverages and not just 1 person's experiences :)

6. riverflyer

riverflyer F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    Mendocino, Ca
    Full Name:
    John
    Jagxj6, very good idea and I too, as a wanna be buyer who will take my time, research, test and find the right car and right model would really appreciate such a worksheep on ownership costs.

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Better polls might be:
    On average, how much do you spend per year to maintain your 246.
    Under $1,000
    Between $1,000 and $2,000
    Between $2,000 and $3,000
    Between $3,000 and $4,000
    Over $4,000
    Create new polls for the following models, plus the ones I am sure I have left out (I have organized them by V8, V12, Limited edition/vintage)
    Mondial

F40
    F50
    Enzo

Collectibles...
    250 LM
    250 GTO (why not)
    250 SWB

DES, you fill in the rest...make us proud! :) You might want to differentiate between model years and/or F1 versus 6-speed too. Eventually we should get decent sample sizes.

Rob, or anyone else, can you set up a separate webpage with a sticky link, or at least leave it as a sticky poll in the general section (as opposed to tech section) to get max. eyeballs?

If it's a separate webpage, I would be happy to host it as long as someone else does the input and results page design and back-end work.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I bought a weekend home a few years ago and when I did it, my Dad told me to never calculate what it cost me on a 'per night' basis. Good advice. I apply that advice to my Ferrari. If I start looking at what it costs, it wouldn't take me long to find a better use for my money.

But if someone is planning to buy a car and is wondering what the maintenance costs are, I'd guess that my 328 eats between $1000 and $2000/year. That assumes that I don't need a major. It feels like it's in the shop every 3 or 4 months, and it costs $300-$400 every time it's there.

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I end up spending $1000 per "high performance driving" weekend {Gas, oil, tires, brake pads, brake rotors, 15K/year, 30K every other year, repaint front facia, food and lodging} and I went to the track 18 times this year.

10. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I think street F cars cost $2.5-$3.0 per mile all in.

11. AEHaas

AEHaas Formula 3

May 9, 2003
    Osprey, Florida
    Full Name:
    Ali E. Haas
    Service is fluids, battery and belts. Their cost is almost nothing. If you can even just change the fluids and the battery you will save thousands a year. I like to say that the cost is about the same as for your Toyota.

aehaas

12. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I am afraid that the answer is tricky. Too many factors, too many people doing their own service, using cars for track events, street only, or just trailering them to shows.
    I have an Alfa Spider that over 13 years of ownership cost me more than a brand new Buick, and I have done a lot of my own work. My Ferrari cost more to get through customs than a used Alfa GTV6 (love that car!).
    I think this is a "If you have to ask....." kind of question.
    Just try it and see what happens. It has been my life philosophy. So far, so good.

13. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    Basic service (ie, fluids, filters, etc) is not too bad, and a $250 oil change is not unheard off.

Again, maintaince is not too bad. Now, something breaks or goes South on you!! The last thing it will resemble in monetary terms is a Toyota.

14. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Fanatic: sure it does. You could buy a toyota for the cost of a service. :D

--Dan

15. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    LOL! And a small fleet of Toyotas if you had a major mechanical mishap!

16. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    My 360 has been around $1,000 per year for the past three years if you average in the 30K service i just did a few months ago. Before that, it was well under $1K per year.

Ernesto

17. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    So far my 355 has been the cost of an oil change, but ive only had it about 7 months. Lambo, trouble free for years, no maintenence needed, only oil changes. Lotus trouble free.

18. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    Allen, I presently looking to upgrade from my 355 to either a 99 roadster or 360. Most independent dealers & shops are telling me horror stories about Lambos, you don't seem have any problems and speak highly of the cars. Maybe you got lucky with your car, what is your opinion overall on 99 lambos mechanically? , including maintenance vs. a 360.

19. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Youve got a PM.