Afternoon with a 312P | FerrariChat

Afternoon with a 312P

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by BillGammon, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillGammon

BillGammon Karting

Sep 30, 2002
    Was out of state this weekend delivering a racecar for some repair and the shop had an outstanding resident that I couldn't resist sharing with my friends.

A quite delicious 312P was vacationing at this location and getting some loving attention. Between this beauty and the other car in the shop it was nearly sensory overload.

I snapped a few pics and hope you guys enjoy them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I certainly was honored to see the car. Definitely a treat after a 600+ mile drive in some of the worst rain I have yet encountered.

Hope the pics are enjoyed.

***I previewed the post and the pics didn't appear. I can only get the URLs to appear. The page is showing me that the IMG code is OFF. I am sorry I couldn't get the images to work. I am sure I will figure it out right after posting this.

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    SWEET!!!! Thanks Bill :)

3. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    great pics - where did you see the car ?
    as far as i know there are only 2 cars left - one ownwed by peter sachs (0870) and beeing shown in perfect condition at the cavalliino classic 2003, and the other one in the mas du clos collection of bardinon in france (0872).
    both cars have a closed body - the car on the pictures shows a spider-body. is it a rebody ?
    so - what chassisnumber is it ?

4. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

That isn't a 312P. I "think" it's a 330P3 that was rebodied for NART to race in the American Can Am series but I don't have time to look into it further at the moment. No doubt someone else will suss it out before I get a chance to come back to it.

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I think it is a 312P, definately a 312P body, cant tell from the chassis though. Ive seen a 330P4 CanAm & it looks nothing like this.

Awesome pics, Thanks

6. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    well its not Sachs nor Bardinon 312P !

Couldnt it be a 312 PB with a different body ?

7. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    it really looks like a 312P but i thought only 2 reamined or were built ? and both have closed body ? What gives ?

Where is Wayne ?

8. BillGammon

BillGammon Karting

Sep 30, 2002
    Damn, even though I don't try to, it seems like every time I post something it causes a huge damn controversy.

I have already gotten two emails from people claiming that I stole those pics from someone else and the replies in this thread are nearly as bad.

I thought I learned my lesson when Fchat nearly crucified me a year ago for simply inquiring about selling a Fcar. For some reason I keep hanging around.

As for the pics, yes I did take them on Saturday. If anyone thinks differently I will give $5000.00 for proof.

As for the car, it is a 312P and I know who owns it. I didn't get into details about exactly why it is where it is, or what is being done to it, but given its stature, I am CONFIDENT that many on this board know every detail.

Jeesh, I just wanted to share a few pics.

9. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill my friend
    The car is a 312 PB
    Way cool.

10. BillGammon

BillGammon Karting

Sep 30, 2002
    See, there are nice people on here :)

But, it's not a "PB" is it?

Doesn't the "B" denote a Boxer engine?

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    OMG...! Very intimate pictures of a ridiculously awesome machine - Bill, this is so cool, thanks for posting...! Everyday, in my WinAmp selection, i have a clip of a 312PB that i play; i close my eyes while listening and, for that short amount of time, everything goes away... :)

Very, very cool pictures, thank you for sharing... Even more awesome that YOU took them which means you saw the car in person... Very, very cool...

Yes, the B in PB stands for Boxer... PB: Prototipo Boxer...

Thanks again for sharing, this definitely gets my vote on thread of the month...

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Bill
    Once again you are right.
    It's not a PB
    It's not really a 312 P either.
    It's one of two cars
    The "Chinetti Special/Flying Shingle which was built using some parts of
    0872 which was crashed and is being rebuilt with a new chassis.
    Or
    A special that was built using the non 0872 remains of the above car using a 330 motor and Lola uprights.
    Best

13. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mr. G., you ever drive one of those...? i'm trying to link grandprixsounds.com to show their 312PB clip, but they're site is not displaying for me... They might've changed their address... Awesome sound...!!! :)

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Not yet. They are pretty cool.

15. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #15 Boudewijn, Dec 1, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It is a 312 P engine I'm seeing. Compare the different engines. First the engine of 312 PB #0890, then 312 P #0870 and then the engine of this car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #16 Boudewijn, Dec 1, 2003
  17. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #17 Boudewijn, Dec 1, 2003
  18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Do you think it's the Chinetti Special/Flying Shingle as well?

19. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Bill,

Geez, you must be amused at the "expertise" in the answers you've received. You are absolutely correct -- it's a real 312 P, at "J.C.'s" shop.

The 312 P(B) used a flat 12 engine. This is a V-12.

The "Flying Shingle," and the special using a 330 motor and Lola uprights (and a Wayne Sparling body and chassis) are the same car. That car has none of the parts of the real 0872.

:)

20. BillGammon

BillGammon Karting

Sep 30, 2002
    J.C.'s shop :)

I knew someone would know the necessary stuff.

I was honored to even see the thing.

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Real means different things to different people.
    0878/80
    Those are the ones that mean real to me.
    How about you Old Guy?

22. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

May i ask why are you so aggressive ?

23. BillGammon

BillGammon Karting

Sep 30, 2002
    No agression, just exasperation.

I spent some time with a spectacular car, take some pictures and share them with the people on Fchat (some of which I consider friends)

The comments center mostly me not knowing what I am talking about and (through private messages) it is alleged that the photos are either faked or that I stole them from another site.

I shared photos of a car, nothing more, nothing less. I see others share pics all the time and rarely are they attacked and accused of being a fraud. I guess I should expect no less.

In the end, its been fun following the thread while toiling away at work today. I, for one, would really like to know more of the history of the car. The pics posted in the vintage section (mentioning this thread) were spectacular.

24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Well i dont see why you get so exasperated just because we, as ferrari enthusiasts , started wondering which car it was.I can understand you got pissed because someone said to you by pm that you stole those pics but why get so worked up because we are/were trying to figure out which car it is..its part of the fun of this forum !