Keys for you F-Car... | FerrariChat

Keys for you F-Car...

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Tod328gts, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Just to let everyone know, i finaly got a couple extra sets of keys for my 328. Rather than spend lots of $$$ for blanks on Ebay or lots of money at a Ferrari dealer to get extra keys, i went to a locksmith shop.

It took a few times for them to order the keys, but they finaly got them and they work great. I think they were only about $1.50 or so each. Both the ignition key and the door/glove box keys for my 1988 328...

The place is Palatine Locksmiths on Northwest Highway in Palatine. They ordered extra ones too... I would sugest driving the car there and try it there after they cut it. It took me about 3-4 trips till they got the correct keys, but they have them now....

They are located on Northwest Highway, about a block south of Palatine Rd.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Duplicating keys on the older cars is a lot easier than on the newer ones. I had an extra set made at a locksmith downtown. He did them immediately and had the blanks ready. He told me, they're the same as on the Yugo, which makes sense as the Yugo is made out of Fiat parts.

3. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I had a "Ferrari" key blank,which is Steel,made into a key for my car when I bought it. Also,got a couple copies at a local Locksmith that also had Blanks readily available,and made them right then and there.

4. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I don't get it. Why wouldn't you want to pay tons of money?

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL! Yes,the Northernmost "Authorized Ferrari Dealer" that I wanted to get a key blank from,wanted $50-$60.00 dolars for an "Official Ferrari Key Blank".(as a spare) I got some for a couple bucks from a Locksmith in Addison.

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think there is actually a difference between an official key and a copy from a Locksmith. They both work, but if you're serious about concours you better have the right set with you.

Not that it matters to me, but I believe there is a reason for the price difference.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yes,I agree. The Genuine "Ferrari key" is Steel,and,"Ferrari issue". So,I got one with my car when I bought it. But,do not use it. I use the "Other" genuine Ferrari key that ORIGINALLY came with the car,to start it,etc... And,the "spares" from the locksmith,as just that...spares.