Hardwiring V1 in a 550 | FerrariChat

Hardwiring V1 in a 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bobafett, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Anyone done it? Looked on the old board too, no word. If you have done it, which fuse did you connect it to (assuming in the passenger footwell flip-down fusebox, or did you find one in the side-panel box?), and where did you run the wire through?

I am debating on whether to pull the dash off/apart, or just run the wire from the fusebox up along the doorwell, and then tucking it into the a-pillar and rooflining.

Best,

--Dan

2. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

Dan:

It actually is really simple(easy for me to say as my friend did it for me!). Actually it really is. Valentine makes a kit for just this purpose. He wired it to the wiring for the overhead light above the rear view mirror. You need to get a meter to find the hot wire and the V1 kit provides the splicing piece which allows you to connect to it. You then attach a ground wire and hide the pieces within the light housing with only the cord to the detector(you will need an additional cord for each car as it stays in place even if the detector is taken out) coming out above the mirror. I am not particularly good in the engineering genre so if this makes no sense or if you would like a better descrption send me a private message and I will give you my friend's email. He can give you some help.

Regards,

Mark

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    you don't need a V1 dude - you drive like such a woosie-girl anyway ;)

sorry i can't help beyond those mounting pics i sent you a while back. i just "wrote the check". for all i know they wired it into a portable nuclear power plant in the trunk :).

doody!

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Mark:

Understand what you're saying, but from what I can tell, those wires are 'always on' as opposed to on with ignition.

Either way, I do appreciate your putting me in touch with your friend. I did this on an E39 M5 and it took all of 5 minutes.

--Dan

Doody: yes. This transexual experience has affected me in more ways than I had imagined. At least I can finally say I am a lesbian trapped in a man's body - and mean it! :D