Hello Everyone (Newbie, well sortof)... | FerrariChat

Hello Everyone (Newbie, well sortof)...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Wayne 962, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Hi folks. Just wanted to drop in and say hello. I have unofficially strayed from being a Porsche fanatic - I just got my 308GTS yesterday (sold my 911SC and 356 together last month to pay for it). I'm going to say I'm a newbie, but only to Ferraris. I've actually written quite a few How-To books on Porsches, the latest one on rebuilding Porsche 911 engines (http://www.101projects.com). I'm also working on "101 Projects for your BMW 3-Series" so I'm no stranger to working on cars.

Everyone (on the Porsche side - see forums.pelicanparts.com) - well almost everyone told me not to take the plunge into the 308 realm. I think I'm slightly conditioned to the cost of the parts due to the Porsche markup factor. Trouble is, the Ferrari markup factory is 3X the Porsche factor. I'm probably the only dude in the world who laughs at how cheap the BMW parts seem in comparison. I bought this car (had $25K worth of work done to it in the past 2-3 years, belts, interior, clutch, brakes/calipers,paint) to enjoy and not to work on - I'm hoping it doesn't break down. Two things that need attention are an oil leak from what appears to be the cam end plug, and a squeak from one of the bearings on one of the engine accessories. Hopefully it won't require too many parts.

The wife likes it - she says it's not as loud or fast as the 914-6 (2200 lbs on about 200 HP there) - it's more refined for her tastes. Besides, I made a deal - when the car comes home there would be diamond earings in the glove box. Ha, these cars don't have gloveboxes, but that argument didn't work on her (she's wearing the earings to sleep right now).

I've been an enthusiast for quite some time - hey if you haven't seen them, check out my 3000+ photos from Monterey over the past few years:

http://www.drivewerks.com/Photos/photos_main.htm

Cheers!

-Wayne

2. vanimal

vanimal Formula Junior

Mar 19, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Vaughan
    Welcome for Fchat, the best and only palce to be, great guys here and a ton of knowledge.

Post a pic of yoru new baby as soon as you can.

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    welcome to the the greatest ferrari family there is! i have a line on a " abused" porsche 930....... i may pick your brain in the next few days about it..... so i can fix it and sell it to get a 308!!!!!!! welcome to the board. michael

4. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    Welcome, Wayne! I know you'll enjoy the car and FerrariChat!

5. GuardsRed

GuardsRed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Wayne!

A familiar name on F-chat! So, I am not alone. AKA SRISER on Pelican. Welcome. I will tell you that this board has some good folks participating. Been great since I joined. Have a good time with your 308! Post pics of course...

6. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    Wayne, Welcome to the world of Ferrari and Ferrarichat. These are a great bunch of people. You made the right choice in getting a 308. Good luck!

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Congrats. I used to go on the boards there every so often.

8. Eric308gtsiqv

Eric308gtsiqv Formula 3

Nov 26, 2001
    Orange Park, Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric Eiland
    Welcome to F-Chat, Wayne...and congrats on your first Ferrari!! The 308 GTSi series are beautiful cars!

BTW, I've purchased several items from Pelican Parts for my 944, and always enjoy doing business with them.

9. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Hi all - just got back from vacation. Glad to see some friendly faces here. I haven't taken too many pics just yet - been working on some small minor repair issues on the car (loose headlamp, etc).

It does have a disturbing oil leak, I have started a new thread on this:

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2419

Thanks,

Wayne

10. LRPMAN

LRPMAN Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Aiken S.C. & FL.
    Full Name:
    George Pavlisko
    Welcome Wayne, I got a P-car also, 951 1986 Cup car. Hope to see you on the show circuit. You will enjoy this venue, great people!
    George P.

11. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Welcome to Ferrari Wayne,

I used to post frequently on PP 3-4 years ago when I had my 911SC until I purchased my 328 as jryerson.

In comparison I think you'll find Ferrari 308 parts about the same as 911 if you look, be sure and check out the Ferrariuk website they have decent prices, 308 engine rebuilds are also about the same as a 911.

Working on these cars is a different story though, something as simple as changing a A/C or alternator belt can take hours with the parts that need to be removed or limited access.

You had some excellent write-ups on your website for Porsche -very helpful.

12. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Glad to have been of some help. Your 951 is a fast car. They are very under-rated. Probably significantly faster than the 308...

-Wayne

13. Tennlee

Tennlee Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2002
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Welcome Wayne!

14. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Howdy Wayne!

Congrats on taking the plunge! I can't say enough about the fine folks here.