Back Home from Italy - Maranello | FerrariChat

Back Home from Italy - Maranello

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lawwdog, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hello Ferrari Boys ...and Girls

Well I'm back on US ground again, settled back in the office, and have been getting familiar with the new web site.

As most of you know I went to Maranello among other places. Thank you's to all who posted and gave opinions reagarding going to the factory and staying at the Planet Hotel.

Impressions:

The feeling of being in Maranello was very exciting and at times unreal. I believe it started when I arrived at the Planet Hotel on a cold and late Sunday evening. I checked in at around 9:00 pm and starred out my balcony looking at the Ferrari Plant. I believe all of those questions came to my mind like: (wow...this place looks bigger than the pictures, wow....this factory is on the middle of no where..wow...I wonder if I can sneak in)

I went to sleep and woke up every hour because of the excitement.

Monday came along..and I awoke to the hussle and bussle outside the Factory. Plenty of red walking around the entrance and it struck me again that I was really there.

My tour started at 11:00 a.m. and prior to checking in I walked in front of the entrance, snapped some photo's, visited the Factory Store, and walked around.

The tour and observations:

I was greeted by the Ferrari Staff - most were smiling - and our tour guide - a young gentleman who seemed to be going through the motions. (disapointed but his attitude wasn't going to let me down)

We walked thorugh the assembly-line area for all models including the Enzo. Supossedly...I saw Enzo number 202 being completed and 203, 204, and 205 in process. All were Red! My impressions were that the line workers on the V-8, and 12 line were fairly young and very playfull for a Monday morning. (there was a lot of kocking around...laughing..typical monday morning B.S.) I watched one guy spend 7 -8 minutes adjusting the drivers door on a Red/Tan 360.

I walked around and listened to the tour guide only 25 -35% of the time. I stayed cllose to the 12 person heard but I usually stayed back, watched and observed. I gathered..rather solidified my realization that all Ferrari's have many imperfections about them - (invitation for everyone to insert comments here!) this obviously explains many of the things I find imperfect about my car. From iperfect welds, drips in the paint, to imperfect alignemnts....it was all there. Yes, they really are hand made and I appreciate it even more now.

Surprsingly I saw the first Scaglleti being built---geez that car has a long front end on it!

I saw a CS car with a 360 mirror on it waiting in the final stage for a new CS mirror..production couldn't send it out the door until manufacturing caught up.

From production we walked into the Engine build room where both Ferrari and Maserati engines were being assembled. I want to steal a valve as a souvenier but my wife said our next stop was the Vatican..not a good idea she said!)

The tour ended promptly at around 12:30...I felt short changed...and I wanted more..so I asked for another tour. After much persuasion they all said no!....too bad..but I was lucky enough to get in in the first place.

I walked around town and visited many of the shopes...I bought a suit case full of shirts, hats, jackets, and gifts. Martin was right...you end up spending more because you are there!

I also visited the museum which was exciting too. I love the F-50 and the Barchetta parked up stairs. I also thought the F-1 car and garage mock-up was nicely done too. I also liked the promisorry note that Enzo signed when he started the company. Talk about history in your face!

Most Memorable experience:

at around 3:45 p.m. My wife and I are walking near the factory and I hear that sound everyone one of us knows all too well..... a Ferrari at Red-line. I'm trying to place it and it is of-course coming from Fiorano. I heard earlier that the entrance is approximately a 15 - 20 minute walk but you can't see anything. However, I also heard that there is one street that dead ends into the track and sometimes you can catch good glimpses of the cars if any are out on track. Whatever it was I was game. So I convinced my wife to go walking and we followed the sound..(I was on a mission from god) My wife was excited too but also cold as hell - it was sub 30's and upper 20's - but we forged ahead.

I was amazed at how everyone in the town acted as though they didn't hear anything - although they hear it so often to them it's not a big deal.

I finally find the street to the entrance and all of a sudden...it goes silent. F _ _ K!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm deflated but not completely upset. So I catch a glimps of the F-1 R&D plant and start making my way back to the hotel. But wait! I hear something. Holy S_ _ t...it's them again. This time I run...and find the famous street with a glimps of the track...it's now 4:40, getting colder, and darker. Wooohooooo! I see it a 360 Challenge car track testing.

I trespassed an apartment complex, climbed the fence and watched in happy content. Sources say that it was Ferrari's new 04 Challenge car for next years season doing cold and wet weather testing. What ever it was it was awesome. I have a 22 second movie that I caught on my digital camera. If I can get some help I would love to post it. This was a true highlight!

This is getting long so I'll finish up.

The pilgrimage and tour to Maranello was well worth it. I will be back again and will experience Marseratti, Lamborghini, Bugatti and Mugello on my next trip. Ferrari has always sparked my passion and this trip captured it even more.

I would love to share my digital phot's of the trip....if anyone knows how to get them and the video of the track car testing send me an e-mail or personal message. I'm sure someone would like to see the pictures and hear the test car.

Mario
    AKA: Lawwdog

2. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Great story Mario! The day I get my Ferrari Im scheduling a factory tour :)

3. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think everyone would like the video and pictures..but I can't seem to figure this out yet!!!!

4. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well done Lawwdog!

What's the hold up?! Chop Chop let's go! We need pics and video asap. :)

5. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Joe..i'm slow as hell. I can't figure this out yet. The video is worth it and the pictures are good as well.

I'm trying to read the how to manual for F-chat.

6. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Too long? That was too short! Can't get enough of a story like that. Great Report, Mario. Thanks.

7. Chip D

Chip D Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2003
    Louisiana
    Enjoyed the write up.

Ready for the video and pics. :)

8. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Sorry for the misspellings in my post you guys. I thought I spell checked it.

I'm going to e-mail Rob and ask him the best way to post the video and the photo's.

Mario

9. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Mario,

Any spy photos?? could have placed your hidden camera in the back like one of those on dateline NBC

10. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Mario, I understand you completely!!
    I was there one year go with my girlfriend and another couple.
    We did the tour and the museam, and when we got out I just heard a big, screamy BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa!!
    Damn!! It was a F1 car in testing...
    I ran across the street to the Fiorano test center, and asked the guard to let me in (a big, large, bald guy, but surprisingly friendly!!)
    He couldn't, of course, but still showed me the surveillance cameras which point to the track and told me to go round the compound and I could see the track from the side.
    He told it was Burti testing the (then...) F1 car, and that Michael wasn't there...
    I was just stocked!!! All the Scuderia trucks, all that Red and yellow...
    So, I ran again leaving everybody behind (they ended up geting the car and joining me moments later.... But I just couldn't wait!).
    I finally got there (all sweaty and breathless) and there was a HUGE amount of people standing by the fence (this is where my experience differs from yours, 'cause when I was there everybody just gathered at the fence to see the F1 car, and later, in the local stores eevrybody was "parlando" of it).
    I was ther for about 10 minutes, It was getting dark (the security had already advised me to hurry up 'cause he should be ending the test soon) and soon after it all ended and everybody just went away...
    It was something that, like you, I'll never forget, plus the mystic of being there, in maranello, where everything just revolves around Ferrari...

I did managed to take some pictures, but, due to the darkness and crapyness of my camera all you can see is the fence and some ads around the track...

Congrats on your journey and man, do I understand how you feel... :)
    Completely!!

Miguel

11. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    told you it was worth it.

..and I understand your wife hates me now completely for ruining her vacation :)

12. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ok, you guys...I e-mailed rob 2 small videos of the Ferrari at Fiorano. 1 is 20 seconds long and the other is 12 seconds.

Yes, you can hear my wife laughing at me in the middle of the 20 second video and that is voice at the end.

Rob also mentioned I have to do one pic at a time on this post. I'll try to do it as time permits here at the office.

Miguel...the road to Fiorano is really hidden..but a find once you find it.

13. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Lawwdog...I'm headed there in October 2004. I've already turned in my visit request to FoW. I am itching just thinking about it. Any information you send me on the Plant (Planet) Hotel would be great.

Great writeup.

14. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario

Owens:

The Planet Hotel was well worth the 100 Euro's. It is a fairly new facility and the newest hotel in Maranello. There is a small grocery store beneath it (next to the Ferrari Factory Store) that has awesome food should you need snacks, breakfast, or lunch food.

Send me a pm or e-mail if you want specifics.

15. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Please be patient for the photo's everyone!!!! I have to down size them now....Geez this is some work!

Mario

16. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
  17. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Watching this still puts the biggest smile on face!

Turn up your speakers.....

Mario

18. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert

nice kicking exhaust and engine noise! wooohoo!

19. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I forgot to add that the Driver gave my wife and I a wave on his final cool down lap.... I was impressed that he saw us..although I was hanging on the fence sticking out like a sore thumb.

20. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I'll try this photo thing again:

Me at the entrance:

21. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    View from room at Planet Hotel

22. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    View of the bottom of hotel, Ferrari Factory Store and glimpse of Cavallino:

23. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Ferrari Store

24. lawwdog

lawwdog Formula 3

Dec 4, 2002
    Northern California
    Full Name: