355 cambelt question | FerrariChat

355 cambelt question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by chaa, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I have been looking through search but cant find anything.So what is the general opinion regarding mileage between cambelt changes on a 355,please.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Factory says 30K miles or 5 years wich ever comes first. A lot of the time, its not a belt that is ready to die, but the belt tensioners that have already died. You can detect this situation by a loud squeeking noise that persists for several seconds after a cold start and then goes away.

Its your car, its your choice, but consider: cost of a 30K $5K-$7K; cost of rebuilt engine $25K+ (if a belt snaps.)

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    thanks mitch, just sold my TR and 328 to get a spider so i am reserching.

4. malibumk

malibumk Karting

May 14, 2002
    Malibu, CA
    Full Name:
    Mike Klein
    I've never seen any factory recommendations for the 355 beyond what is in the Warranty Service Book. And that says...."30k miles" "i" for inspect, and an asterisk foot note that says "recommend replacement if car driven in extremely hot or dusty conditions".

I've always taken the footnote to imply places like Saudi Arabia etc.

The factory workshop manual has the exact same verbage.

While the "time" limits are very frequently qouted by those selling service....few cars that I've ever heard of (any year or milage) have suffered cam belt failure.

Has anyone ever seen factory literature with times publised?? If so please post a picture of it here.

5. ART360

ART360 Guest

I'd be more concerned about the tensioners. When you start the car, do you hear a noise from the engine? If so, probably a tensioner going away. Certaintly within 30k, and I'd replace every 8 years even if I hadn't gotten 30k on the engine. I don't think that the books says the time limit, but it's a very good idea.

Art

6. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    I agree that the tensioners are of great concern during this service.

My opinion, 5 years or 30,000 miles whichever comes first.
    for a 348 or mondial t, 3 years or 30,000 miles.

The reason for the 3 year on the 348 engine is due the the extreme length of the belt which is more prone to stretch over time than the shorter 355 belt, not to mention a 3 year check on the condition of the water pump which if it seizes, will take out the timing belt.

best regards and good luck, Jim

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferrari "Workshop Manual" Section B page 54 paragraph 4

"-- Replace belts after 60.000 KM. Take engine out of car to perform this operation."

60.000 KM == 36,000 miles

8. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My owner's manual says 60,000km OR 4 years!