TV footage from older F1 races | FerrariChat

TV footage from older F1 races

Discussion in 'F1' started by tifosi12, Nov 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Remember this thread? Has been a while.

Well finally I made some nice progress and burnt the first DVD with footage from 1970-73. Thanks to JeffB. The quality of the footage isn't all that great, but hey, better than nothing. What an awesome sight of that Lauda vs. Hunt duell or see Emmo in his beautiful JPS Lotus. Memories...

2. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    I'm still in, let me know

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andreas, how's about a viewing party?

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Nice idea Jack, but think about it: It wouldn't be a party it would be a long weekend watching marathon. Some of the races are in full length, maybe more beer than we could handle.

However you and I need to get together. Got so many things for you.

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    More beer than we could handle, huh? Oooh, speak for yourself! I'll be out of town next week (after T-Giving), so maybe we can hook up when I get back.

6. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Andreas,

Any plans to make the DVD available?

Andy

7. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    MAKE COPIES I WILL TAKE ONE FOR SURE.

P.S. I have old tapes of late 80's early 90's F1. Senna, Rossberg, Piquet.ect how do I convert to DVD?

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Joeyy, in order to burn a DVD you need to digitize your tapes. There are several ways to do that. The most direct way would be to add an A/D card for that to your PC and connect your VCR to the PC. The software will save the footage to your drive from where the DVD ultimately will be burnt.

I'm actually following a different path: I connect the VCR via an external A/D box to my digital video camcorder, which tapes all digitally. In a second step I copy the DV tape to the PC and in a third step I burn the DVD.

Either way, this is a time consuming process (all done in real time, plus DVD rendering dependant on your PC speed, but always takes HOURS). Also you can only put about 2 hours of tape onto one DVD. So there is no such thing as a DVD of all F1 races. It all depends on how much footage you want to preserve. If done on a full length race level such a collection would take dozens of DVDs. If done on a season review level (as we intend to) it still takes many, many DVDs to cover the 50 years of F1 history.

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Note that many digital cameras support pass-thru now... so, you can skip the digital tape and one extra play of all the stuff.

But the killer is the MPEG encoding process... depending upon your computer and your software that can take all night. But you only have to do that once, for burning to as many DVDs as you want. Of course, if you have only a 2x DVD burner... its still an hour plus per DVD.

It can be quite daunting without professional equipment.

10. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    Andreas, I posted the tapes of 83, 85, 89, 92 on Friday. They should be with you by the end of the week.
    I forgot to put a Christmas card in there, so Merry Christmas!:)

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well, it ain't professional, but it still cost a ton of cash and I am quite proud of owning it. After all it also does PAL to NTSC conversion and other tricks...

Yes, the MPEG encoding is a handful. Normally a job I leave running over night. Requires some baby sitting though. Sometimes for no good reason it just doesn't work.

BTW: Alternatively one could buy one of these newfangled DVD recorders, that might shorten the process somewhat too, but might make editing thougher.

Anthony, many thanks and Merry X-mas to you and your family too.