New Vette C6 vs. 420 Modena | FerrariChat

New Vette C6 vs. 420 Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eilig, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Some actual pics of the new Vette C6 just appeared in the new issue of Autoweek:

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=&content_code=09200909

Sounds like the Vette is only a couple years away from a Z06 with 500 hp with 3 valves per cylinder. Plus some additional weight loss.

Considering this, plus the horsepower level in the new Gallardo, you gotta think the next generation 420 Modena (or whatever they end up calling it) MUST have at least 500 hp just to meet the benchmark being set by others out there....

2. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    vette looks great but im not worried about next 360's stats. porsche, vette, ferrari have kept steadily improving and getting more $ with each model since 1960's but the hierarchy will stay as its always been.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I really like what Ive seen of the C6. The C6 Z06 is supposed to have a CF body, 500 hp & be a Viper slayer. Cant wait. There is a rumor of a Super Vette above the Z06 called the Chaparal. Gossip claims some outrageous hp like 700+. But thats all pie in the sky for now

For the $ Ferrari will want for the 420 I'm 90% sure I'd rather have an F40

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    They might 550 it and go more lux. and less rare power. That would be painful.

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If they actually make it with a CF body, that will be a bad move. I know that would keep me away. I would not want to pay to fix carbon fiber if it gets hit. The current vette is has a fiberglass body, as it has had for the past 50 years. This is light enough and relatively cheaper to fix and paint thjan CF.

6. ART360

ART360 Guest

700HP and CF? Where do I put in my order? That would eat just about everything on the road today, legal or illegal. I want one.

Art

7. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    and gm's lawyers would allow this car to be made?

how much longer until carmakers are getting sued for making these insanely high hp cars?

8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Why 420 vs C6? Wouldn't front engine guys see this as 575/550 vs C6 vs Viper?

Ferrari 420 would be racing against "butt engine boys" :) Ford GT and Baby Lambo and GT3?

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    No, as long as Ferrari can sell each and every car they desire to make, Ferrari is only in competition with themselves.

10. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    almost any car looks the similar to another when placed side by side. These dont even look that similar either. the just have a profile that resembles each other.

11. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

I like the side by sides, it helps me find new details. I like what the C6 did with the new headlight and fender over the front wheel.
    I thought I'd share the photo in-case you guys picked up other details in either car.

But the main question in my post is.... do mid-engine guys even look at front engine cars? I think it would feel odd to change from a 420 to a C6?

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    The gossip was also saying that the 700 hp Chapparal would only be sold to drivers with a racing liscence. The ENZO has around 600 hp & I havent heard anything about lawsuits yet. Most of the drivers who can afford these cars are beyond adolescence so they May have better judgement although I'll never vouch for their driving ability

13. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

The new Car and Driver (or maybe Automobile - forget which) does a Ford GT and Viper comparrison and in the artcicle says that GM says the ZO6 will have 500 HP. Don't know where these 700HP rumors are coming from.

14. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    so its sort of like the viper Competition Coupe? If they do make that car, it will rape almost anything. I have no idea what im talking about, but i bet the enzo would more than hold its own. It makes all that downforce.

15. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    >>>No, as long as Ferrari can sell each and every car they desire to make, Ferrari is only in competition with themselves.<<<

Don't kid youself. The first rule of business is "be insecure".

There is a lot of and growing competition for Ferrari which should be great if Ferrari wakes up and responds. Look at Porche who almost went under in the early 90's. Ferrari can carry the cult image business plan just so far before they have to improve.

16. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Ferrari's been down this road before. When the NSX came out, a lot of people thought it would be the end of Ferrari. Have a little faith in those guys in Italy.

17. ART360

ART360 Guest

IF you think these are fast, try an 03 GSXR1000 Suzuki. Makes all of these cars look like a snail.

Art

18. vette79

vette79 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    im with art on this one. i only weight 135 lbs so on the hayabusa i feel like a rocket. 1/4 throttle in first gear will flip the bike right over on top of me, and if i lean and kiss the windshield i can barely keep the front end down at 1/4. snapping to half throttle or more will just absolutely roast the tire. in the first three gears, the engine's ignition is retarded to cut power since you cant use it anyway. 3rd gear, 130 mph, about half to three fourths throttle picks the front end right up. 0-60 is 3.1 or 2.1, cant remember. one of the two, its amazingly fast. bike runs quarter mile in the low ten high 9 second range.top speed is around 198 or so, however mine is electronically limited to about 180. the engine wraps up to about 11 grand and from idle to about six or eight, its a perfectly managable street bike. you pass that magic 6k mark and the tach need just becomes a blur. i literally cant follow the needle in second gear when i hammer it and it passes 6k.... it just pops up around the redline and i shift. at 75 mph in third gear im lugging the motor at about 3k rpms, and a flick of the throttle will still make the front end jerk up briskly, about a half foot or so, enough to pull out the suspension. surprises some people when i do that while they are passing me on the highway haha. and they make turbos for these things :D on the other hand its apples and oranges, bikes and cars. oh well.
    EDIT: the suzuki gsxr 1300 hayabusa is also referred to as just hayabusa