P Sales Up 58% Y/y | FerrariChat

P Sales Up 58% Y/y

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Napolis, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Due to very robust sales of the Cayenne P sales are up 58%. 911 and Boxter were down.

2. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    how are these numbers figured? meaning, are they talking sales to customers or sales to the dealers??? i see a gillion cayennes all over the place, i just find some of these reports hard to believe. b/c even if the dealer hasn't sold the car, it seems like it would still "count" towards porsches bottom line. yes? no?

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    As they also announced they are increasing C production I doubt they would be doing this if they couldn't sell them.

4. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ty, like it or not, the Pepper Car has been a life saver for Porsche because Porsche has really screwed up the branding of its Boxster and 911 franchises. The Boxster has gotten too expensive to be an entry-level sports car. At the same time, it doesn't have the go juice to complete against even sport sedans. And, of course, the reason Porsche keeps the ponies down is because it needs to protect the 911. Now with the better 911s crossing into 6-figure territory, the 911s are starting to come up short against the competition.

Hopefully, Porsche will use its Cayenne profits to do the right thing which is --

1. Put the twin turbo motor in the Boxster.
    2. Turn the 911 into a GT car, i.e., the C4, and
    3. Build either a front or mid-engined V10 for the masses.

But hey, I'm not a stockholder so the company can do whatever it wants.

DrTax

ps From talking to salespeople around the country, most Cayenne buyers are new Porsche buyers.

5. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    And it is going to increase as they are set to release a more affordable Cayenne (V6 model).

You have to give their execs credit....the company is making money (which is afterall the bottom line).

6. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    ... and its pretty much the only significant independent "small" sports car company.

Ferrari,Maserati - FIAT
    Lambo, Bugatti - V.A.G
    Aston Martin, Jag - Ford
    Lotus - various disgruntled owners

That leaves us with TVR which is joyously non-conformist, but not sold in the US. Morgan which is an anachronism, but very cool with it.

There are lots of very nichey players out there making 10s of cars, but its v impressive that Porsche is still mostly in private hands.

7. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Absolutely. They have been viciously true to their roots and have done what they can to keep it that way. That, and racing are the main reasons why Porsche is tied with Ferrari as my #2 favorite marque.

Those Boxsters are a bit underpowered, but they are an awful lot of fun.

JR just stuffed a 3.6 liter Carrera engine in a Boxster S for a customer. The thing hauls ass. So there is always the creative way to go. :)

Cheers