Taking the Koni out of the spring? | FerrariChat

Taking the Koni out of the spring?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Birdman, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hi Everyone,
    So I'm ordering up a new set of rear shocks (stock Konis) and I am wondering if anyone has any advice/tips for compressing the springs and getting the shocks out without removing any fingers, etc! Pictures would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has the part numbers for Polyurethane bushings, that would be helpful too.

Thanks!

Birdman

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Take the units (spring / shock) off the car and take them to a shop if you haven't done it before. You will also have to press in the new shock bushings.

3. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi birdman how are you,ok your springs if you are a little good with the spanners you shouldent find this to hard a task,just be dam carefull with compressed suspension springs they WILL hurt you,if you havent got the correct tool to compress the spring DONT attempt it,do as sparta said and take them in to be changed-shouldent take them long if the arnt busy,the poly bushes mainly come split overhere in uk some dont,
    you should be able to find a supplyer close to home or somone will post,

4. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    suspension restoration 1-800-291-5340 thay have the control arm bushings at $ 15 eash www.suspension.com

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I painted springs with Eastwoods Chassis Black and tried to mount them myself, ended up having to completely refinish them and took them to the local suspension shop take some flat cardboard so when they compress them wont mar the paint. Also get new bushings and boots!

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    What about the bushings for each end of the KONIs?
    Anyone have a p/n &/or source?

7. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    I got my shock bushings from Ferrari UK, around $18 each. After checking many places, could not find an alternate aftermarket bushing that would work

8. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I bought a set from Maranello (T Rutlands) and some from Superformance in the UK before Ferrari UK/owners site had achieved the prominence it has today.

All places have provided good service. As I recall, Superformance had some harder ones than stock as an upgrade.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  10. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Jonathan, there was a group buy fiasco involving, if I recall correctly, these same guys. Search the archives for details. I have no reason to believe anything other than good intent from the FCers, but several people got burned with incorrect product.

11. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Yes, I heard about the group buy fiasco but my take on that was that it was an accidental mistake with the wrong parts, not that the ES bushings were no good. My experience is that polyurethane bushings last longer and cost less than Ferrari original rubber bushings, plus they're easier to get. So I would like to use poly everything.

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The group buy was a problem with ES listing 2 part#s for 308s, only one of which was the right part# for all 16 inner A-frame bushings. Unfortunately Ferrari also listed different p/ns for the upper & lower inner a-frame bushings & the buy ended up buying sets of 8 each of the two ES p/ns. It got messy because the ES salesman who started the buy & said get 8 each of the 2 pns left ES before mfg started on the order.

I have the correct ES p/n at home.

Jonathan is looking for poly bushings to fit the KONIs.Which the group buy never got to.

13. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Verell,
    If you have the right ES P/N's please let me know what they are. I'm thinking about doing A arm bushings along with the shock bushings and shocks.

Jonathan