Oil Changing Adventures | FerrariChat

Oil Changing Adventures

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by Ferrari Boy, Nov 27, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    A few weeks ago, my dad ran into oil pressure problems on his 1985 308 GTSi QV (see thread “308 Oil Pressure Problems”). When my dad bought his 308, it already had the FRAM PH2804-1 oil filter already attached to it. The previous owner said it had 20w 50 oil in the car but he did not say whether it was synthetic or regular. In the prior thread, it was suggested that the oil filter may have failed. Soon after we got this information, my dad and I set off to try and find a new filter & oil. One of the filters that Matt Lemus recommended was the Baldwin B253 which is what my dad bought. After a lot of research in the F-Chat archives, my dad picked up Mobil 1 15w 50 synthetic oil (expensive stuff... $5.25 per qt.)

Next we changed the oil using the LiquiVac oil changing system. This removes the oil directly from the dipstick tube (Next time we will drain the oil from the bottom to remove all the grime). After we pumped out all the oil, we packed the area around the old oil filter with towels so there wouldn’t be any mess. But when we unscrewed the FRAM, oil poured out everywhere! It just passed right through the paper towels, down the engine and formed a huge puddle on the ground. Then we cleaned up the oil the best we could both from on top and underneath the car and installed the Baldwin B253. After putting in just under 8 qts of oil, the car is running fine and the oil pressure is holding steady and it seems to warm up faster.

Can anyone please tell us for future reference how to keep from spilling all the oil from the filter? We may think it was because the old FRAM filter didn’t have a “back drain” tube in it.

Thanks
    David

PS: Some people may think that my dad is crazy for letting me to work his car, but I had a lot of fun. My dad says it is important to learn basic maintenance.

2. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Unscrewing FRAM oil filter.

3. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Packing towels

4. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Screwing in B253

5. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Pouring Mobil 1 15w 50 synthetic

6. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Also we are wondering whether this hose / pipe (circled) should be hanging down from the frame like this. Is it normal?

7. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    The key is to take a screwdriver and punch a hole through the filter. This will break the vacuum, and the oil will flow back down before you take it off.

Dom

8. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i don't think so; i think most of us here admire that... 13 years old and already working on Ferraris...? David, you're waaaay ahead of the game...! Good luck with your dad's car; keep us posted... :)

9. mikey

mikey Karting

Nov 8, 2003

I have a 85 qv. Can you take a better pic?

10. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    Mikey-This is the best one I could take from the angle I had. The pipe is closer to the rear wheels than the front wheels.

Dom-thanks for the info. Next time we change the filter, we'll be sure to do that.

DES-Thanks for the support. :)

11. mikey

mikey Karting

Nov 8, 2003

12. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is too cool - Working on a Ferrari at your age - Nice!

13. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Ferrari Boy,

Do not punch holes in the filter unless they are stuck because you can dislodge crap into the engine.

Also I see you are using the scissor jack but I see no jack stands but I do see you head under the car. USE JACK STANDS...BE SAFE.

14. Ferrari Boy

Ferrari Boy Formula 3

Oct 25, 2003
    Long Beach CA
    Full Name:
    David Couch
    My dad used the scissors jack to get the car high enough to use a hydrolic floor jack. Then he put wood blocks underneath the car just in case. Jack stands are on his Christmas list.

David

15. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    Dom is correct. Punch a hole in the top of the filter to break the vacuum. A sharp rap on a screwdriver with a mallet or hammer is all that's needed. Dislodging things into the engine is not something you need to worry about, but punch the hole in the top side, not directly over the hole in the bottom of the filter (in the middle).

If you want to be extra careful/paranoid, then use a screw and electric screwdriver, don't go in too deep, and back it out.

16. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Hey Fatbillybob,

So what do you do to prevent the oil from spilling out? The screwdriver trick is what others told me to do.

Dom

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    DOM,

I never spill more than a couple onces and a shop rag works better than paper towels because paper does not conform as well and is not as absorbant. It is an easy clean up with a wipe and some brake cleaner. You need to just be quick about it. Punching holes is best done when you don't have the O-filter wrench you need and you drive a screw driver through the can a use that as a lever to rip it off. This works when someone over tightends a can too. But you can get filings and junk into the engine which presumably will be taken out by the new filter. There is maybe 3000 miles worth of junk in those filters it is best not to disturb it.

18. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I've watched the guy at Norwoods change my oil and he does not punch a hole in the old filter. He puts a rag around the bottom of the filter and loosens it (leaves it on) which breaks the vacuum and allows the oil to drain out of the filter back into the engine.

I've also heard that if you punch a hole, you could possibly send a small metal fragment down into the engine. I'm sure this is very unlikely though.

19. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Guys,

Hammering or punching a hole on the filter puts extra stress on the oil mounting base, and you do not want to know what those cost. I drain all the oil from the bottom of the car slightly, lossen the filter, and crack the oil cap. It takes a good fifteen minutes to drain anyway, also make sure the car is level. By this time the filter has drained, except for the oil in the stand pipe of the filter. Put some rags around the filter base. The trick is to spin it off fast and I always have a small pie pan to place it over in my other hand. I have had my car 10 years now, changed the oil at least 20 times, and can do it without dripping a drop with this method. The Baldwin filter is the best, I am using Castrol 20/50. When you strip the oil threads let me know I know what to do here, ask me how I know.........

Rob

20. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Hey Rob -

Just curious what you do to fix stripped threads. Thanks

21. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks to all the people who have posted here. I think I will try the Norwood's drain and spin method. My 85 QV will be here Friday. Oil gets changed Friday. Putting in Royal Purple.

22. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002

I just changed the oil on my car last weekend, and used this method. Worked great.

Dom