Putin gets wise to a scam, too | FerrariChat

Putin gets wise to a scam, too

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by maranelloman, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Looks like Putin got wise to the scam nature of this just like Bush did. It will be interesting to see if the lefties lambast him as they did Bush. Somehow, methinks they will be strangely silent.

I am glad Putin is also smart enough to realize that this Kyoto scam gives the biggest polluters--China, India, and the rest of the "developing" world--a TOTAL exemption while penalizing the developed world.

I am all for sensible pollution controls: I like breathing just as much as the next person. But they have to apply to all. You can't give the worst offenders a total pass.

No wonder there is not a SINGLE country in the world who has actually implemented it. Yeah, all their bleaters, er, leaders, signed it for show...but no national legistalture anywhere has ratified & implemented it.

Good for you, Putin!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,104561,00.html

2. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    84 countries have ratified it. AND they are implementing it.

Bob

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Actually.....without Russia Kyoto is dead.....but I think that was going to happen anyways regardless of whether or not Russia signed on...which it appears that they will not do now. Good for you Putin !!

Kyoto is nothing more than wealth re-distribution to the third world disguised an environmentalism.

It's just an empty drum for the lefties to bang on.....that's all it is at this point. Even "Kanaduh" whose government voted for it and keeps saying that they will implement it, now has a change of government coming in 3-6 months that has a whole different set of priorities in front of it......the least of which is Kyoto.....as they have indicated.

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Environmental protection, growing countries & populations, dirty factories are all excellent reasons to accelerate a serious worldwide Space Program for acquiring raw materials & energy off of Earth. It will also cut down on warfare & has the potential to vastly increase everyones standard of living

5. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Not true. 84 presidents signed it...but, to the best of the data I can gather, Canada may be the ONLY country whose national legistalture has formally ratified it...and none are implementing it.

6. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Agreed.

7. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
  8. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Bob, sorry, but you are confusing apples & artichokes. Look at #143, Russian Federation, and #185, United States of America.

Neither has actually had its national legislature validate its president's signature (required for treaties)...the same with nearly all the other countries there. Remember, all these presidents signed it (and their signatures were validated, and the UN claimed the treaty was "in force"), but that is pure window dressing BS, until national legislatures give their approval.

'Nuff said. There are still NO countries in the world who are adhering to it...because it is bad news unless you are China or some other 3rd world ****hole who wants to suck the 1st & 2nd world dry.

IMO, of course.

9. rcallahan

rcallahan F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 15, 2002
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Bob Callahan
    maranellowman,

I think you were looking at the The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. That was the famous meeting in Rio on biodiversity. look to the link on kyoto.

bob

10. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    Anybody who has been to India & China knows that just controlling their pollution would fix much of the worlds problem. Just walking across the street in much of either country will cause your lungs to be on fire. The worst day in LA is better than the best day in either country.

The only way that any treaty makes sense it to bring other countries up to Western standards. Not to bankrupt the west by imposing standards that are so costly the are unenforceable.

11. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Sounds like a great idea, 1 that could make lots of $. Who builds chimney scrubbers ? WHat they really need in China is clean burn tech for coal, which they use a lot of

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Come on guys the reason the third world countries get a break is to give them a chance to catch us up. You cannot enforce costly environmental processes on the poor, while we drive around in Ferraris.

What we should be doing is suppling the technology at a discounted rate to these countries so the whole world benefits ... but no we all want to ignore or maintain our superiority, etc.

That is why developed countries like USA and Australia have it tougher, because we have the money and the technology and are doing a hell of a lot better than some poor chinese child chipping concrete with a nail.

Pete

13. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I agree with this but I cant agree with hobbling developed economies while China fuels its economy on dirty coal burning. We need incentives to make strong economies stronger, not weaker. We need to make weak economies stronger as well

14. ART360

ART360 Guest

I did it because everyone else was doing it. Good excuse for a 12 year old, not so good for an adult. If we don't do something about the pollution, our kids, and their kids will suffer. So what, we want everyone to conform, and if they don't neither will we. I did it because everyone else did it.

Bad air for everyone.

Thanks George.

15. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC

.....and I had a buyer for my CO2 allocation. Thanks indeed.

DL