Going to London - Hotel Suggestions Needed | FerrariChat

Going to London - Hotel Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lesterm, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Hey all,

I'm planning a trip to London with my girlfriend in March. I need to know some good hotels in London that are in/near Mayfair. I am thinking about the Four Seasons; however, I have never been there and don't know if that particular hotel is any good. What are some other suggestions for hotels? I don't really want to spend more than $600 a night.

Also, I am in need of some good restaurants/clubs/pubs in London.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. FastTalk

FastTalk Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2002
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Adam Alexander
    I spent a week at the Four Seasons, in Mayfair, it was very nice, no complaints except I would rather be in the Picadilly/trafalgar/Covent Garden/Leister Square Area.

When I want a "more fun" time I stay at the St. Martins Lane Hotel http://www.Ianschrager.com/ it is small, contempory, & trendy. It has Asia de Cuba restaurant which is always great, and the Bar is an absolute blast on the weekends. It is a 2minute walk form everything (I will be there for New Years eve)

Adam

3. cairns

cairns Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    Potomac MD
    Full Name:
    George Williams
    There is the Hyatt Carlton Tower, the Connaught, the Sheraton Hyde Park and my personal favorite at a bit lower price, the Washington. All are in the general Mayfair/Kensington/Shepherd Park area. I've stayed in all and would recommend any- the Connaught and Hyatt are a bit pricey; the Washington is within closer walking distance of Picadilly Circus/Soho/Covent Garden areas than the others.

4. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I spoke to my friend in London today and he suggested I stay at the Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park Hotel. Has anyone ever been there? It looks nice. I want to make the booking within the next two days.

He also said that the Four Seasons wasn't really worth the price. *shrug* I can get a room at the Mandarin for 215pounds/night, whereas the Four Seasons will cost 370pounds/night. However, the Mandarin looks much better appointed. But, I am shooting in the dark here, as I have never been to either hotel. ugh!

5. mark_b

mark_b Karting

Dec 11, 2002
    Leeds, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
  6. AlexHancock

AlexHancock Rookie

Feb 14, 2003
    I live in London but have stayed in a suite at the Mandarin. It's a nice hotel with very good service although a bit old fashioned for me. The bar is popular with pretty girls who are looking for a rich guy - might be useful if you fall out with your girlfriend. It's in a good location with lots of quality shops and right next to an underground station which will take you to Picadilly and Covent Garden. I doubt you'd be disappointed and can use the savings to have an even better time.

7. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    You might try http://www.thistlehotels.com. The normally have multiday packagaes that are quite reasonable. Most of their hotels are high 3 or 4 stars. I stay at one of their hotels if I am doing a vacation. Last time I was in London for business I stayed @ a 5 star (can't remember the name) and did not find the room itself to be any nicer. The simple fact is most rooms in London or fairly small. I had a "junior suite" and it was tiny compared to the same here in the states.