T-shirt buisness | FerrariChat

T-shirt buisness

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Artherd, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    I've been kicking around with the idea of launching a line of T-shirts for some time now, but never wanted to risk all the upfront $ in inventory and fufilment.

Tonite, I went from 30% of an idea, to an offered product. No time like the present!

http://www.cafeshops.com/neversurrender/

The margins aren't great, and they charge for anything but their stock store design, but they do offer more than just shirts. Pretty amazing setup guys, check it out.

Only 2 desings are available so far, many many more to come.

And the beauty of it all is that it's here. Today. Now. And it wouldn't be otherwise.

Best!
    Ben.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    be advised that cafe press basically creates iron-ons that are then attached to the shirt. it's not screen-printed. as a result, they fade rather quickly. all in all, a sub-optimal product with a short lifespan at a premium price.

that said, i'm unaware of any other alternative except having it "done right". this will cost you 3-5 bucks per shirt if you find a good to-the-trade shop plus printing costs, which aren't very high.

in fact, if you seek out the screen printers in your area, they can usually do basic design work and sometimes fulfillment for you.

g/l

doody.

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yup - Iron-ons don't match up with shirt background colors, either. Make sure graphics are good and T-shirts are of high quality - none of that thin crap.

Remember the Cuban cigar logo T-shirts that were kinda hot oh, 7 years ago? Got several straight from the guy who did them. Along with sharing the same advice as posted in the above reply - he imparted this other bit of wisdom as to why Cuban cigar logos were chosen - "I don't gotta pay Fidel Castro any fees or penalties for copyright infringement." Brilliant, huh?

4. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    There's always eBay. There are plenty of people infringeing on copyrights over there, and nobody seems to do anything about it.

5. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    lol wax! Great story.

Iron-ons are crap, looks like it's back to square one.

6. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Ben,

Are the shirts at the link you posted your design? Or is that just the website for the company that markets them? In any case, good luck. It's always cool to find out about other people's experiences starting business ventures.