86TR fuel pumps | FerrariChat

86TR fuel pumps

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by gabriel, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Greetings:

I had winterized the TR for about 9 months by, among other things, draining the fuel tank. However some fuel apparently remained and has gummed up the pumps. The car will start by shoting fuel directly into the intake. Shelton has confirmed the clogged pumps.

Heres the hard part - Shelton estimates as follows:

2 fuel pumps - $950 to $1000 + about $200 for each filter, + $220 for one fuel line and $129 for another, + 4 hours labor.

Thats over $2000.... When I asked if these units could be cleaned they just said *no.*

Does anyone have any experience with these units? I'm probably going to service this problem myself. I also find fuel lines at approximately $100 a foot an unbelievable amount to charge.

Hey, thanks for any input!

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Hi gabriel -- Welcome to the usual F service scr*w. You can buy the TR Bosch fuel pumps retail for ~$200 each (although the importec site shows them as temporarily unavailable) and the (US version) TR fuel filter is ~$12 (being a reseller, the shop will pay even less than those prices). See these posts for the information:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/131096.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/131090.html

Some of the (high pressure) fuel lines you need might be Ferrari specific so fewer options there, but the pumps and filter are just standard Bosch stuff that any VW, Audi, MB, etc. shop would have no problem sourcing and replacing.

Sorry to come down so hard on a (I think) respected F dealer/shop, but $200 for 1 TR fuel filter is way, way out-of-bounds, while the fuel pump price is maybe just out-of-bounds if that's for both fuel pumps (I consider anything over 2X retail as a gouge) -- JMOs. Good luck...

3. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Thanks Steve.

Exactly the information that I needed. Did you DIY your own pump replacement? Is there anything difficult about the removal, or do the tanks need to come out as well? Any info is appreciated. -I'm about to have the TR towed back home, after they mount the new tires that I bought for the rear...
    Again, thanks -g

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I did replace my TR fuel pumps when I replaced the check valves. The fuel tanks don't have to be removed for the work -- the pumps are mounted to a small plate sort of between and underneath the fuel tanks (but you've still got the moderate hassle of elevating the chassis, removing the bottom protection covers, and draining the fuel).

I must say that I do find the diagnosis (fuel pumps clogged) a bit surprising, and would've thought that the many small passages/orifices in the Fuel Distributors would be much more likely to be blocked from varnish. If you didn't witness a measurement of the supply fuel pressure being confirmed as bad, I'd strongly recommend that you invest the ~$50 and get the JCWhitney Bosch CIS gauge (http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=467&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&storeId=10101) or something similar to actually confirm/deny before proceeding (or pay a VW, Audi, MB, etc. shop to confirm/deny).

Good luck with the repair...

5. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Thanks again. I will talk with Ken at Shelton service about the issues that you raised. I just got back from delivering the two rear tires for them to mount, then I will just have it towed back and work on her myself. It was nice to see a few million dollars worth of Ferraris there...

I'll order that tester and stay in touch. -g

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    The fuel pumps can usually be cleaned by bathing in fresh fuel and flushing many times...however, a retail service centre would give no guarantees afetr spending many hours, so it is economically better for them to give a thorough job by replacing.

By doing it yourself at home, for zero labour, you can save a lot of money...but just for fun.....keep an accurate log of the time you spend untill it runs perfectly to your satisfaction and local emmision regulations after being re-tuned and balanced etc.......I think you'll be shocked