TR vs. Countach! | FerrariChat

TR vs. Countach!

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by lashss, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    When I was in elementary school, the two big papas in the exotic car world were the TR and the Countach.

The TR is refined and developed...with a body that's 1978 Lynda Carter hot!

What's the Countach like? What would be the perfect stablemate for the beloved TR?

I just had to find out...

http://autocrossersinc.org/lambo/index.html

It was delivered Sat night by the FoW transporter. It didn't run when we took it off the truck. I traced the problem to low voltage to the coil. It turns out that the battery NEG cutoff switch was faulty. When I removed it, I read a full 12.70v at the coil. Started it up and sprayed some carb cleaner into the 44DCNFs and it started to smooth out.

And here's a movie clip of it idling:

http://quateams.com/ferrari/Deeps_Countach.avi

Next project is a cleanup of the interior. I've got the interior almost completely removed...cleaned out seat tracks, rewiring some underdash harnesses, removing the "ghetto fabulous" alarm/stereo system.

Next week-brake system overhaul.

Lashdeep

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    All right. Looks like a fun project :)

3. Russ Birch

Russ Birch Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Russ Birch
    [
    What's the Countach like? What would be the perfect stablemate for the beloved TR?
    Lashdeep[/QUOTE]

Having owned a Countach, I can tell you in one word my impression of this car...Visceral.

The car has the feel of a tube frame 12 cylinder go cart. Manual steering, gobs of power, loud and cramped and fast and tossable,......... and quirky. I traded mine for a brand new Diablo back in 1999. God, what a mistake. With the Diablo they "fixed" all of the things that made the Countach SO great. The Diablo was uttery boring to drive.

Good luck!

Russ

4. Ferruccio

Ferruccio Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2003
    olathe, KS
    Full Name:
    Dan Gordon
    Having owned a Countach, I can tell you in one word my impression of this car...Visceral.

The car has the feel of a tube frame 12 cylinder go cart. Manual steering, gobs of power, loud and cramped and fast and tossable,......... and quirky. I traded mine for a brand new Diablo back in 1999. God, what a mistake. With the Diablo they "fixed" all of the things that made the Countach SO great. The Diablo was uttery boring to drive.

Good luck!

Russ[/QUOTE]

Soul the most important thing when buying an exotic!!!

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Nice going! Looks like a euro QV.

6. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Lashss
    I, too, have similar background on Coutach. Although to me, girls attached to Countach are Susan Anton & Catherine Bach due to CannonBall Run II.
    Price of Countach is coming down to my affordable zone, so I am seriously contemplating for next year.
    Let me know your thoughts on driving this beautiful black beast.

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Good luck!

Russ[/QUOTE]

LOL! And now you drive a 360 Spider?

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    One thing is for certain, a carbed Countach will run circles around a TR. Did you buy that car with a partner who also owns a black carbed QV?

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

I asked my paint guy who owns a Jag XJ220, Vector, 99 Diablo convertible and numerous Ferraris his opinion of a Countach he said they feel and drive like a kit car and I would not like them.

10. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Another stupid reply. Obviously, judging from the cars he has owned the Countach would feel like a kit car, it was designed in the early 70's. It is no more kit carish than a Ferrari from that time.

11. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    And the Vector did not have a Kit Carish Interior?

12. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    He must be one heck of a 'paint guy' to own those cars!

Or did you actually mean, 'famous artist'???

And he owns a '99' Diablo CONVERTIBLE', I ain't never seen one of those!

Does he have the money to have had it made as a one-off? :)

I sure would like to see some pics. of a Diablo Convertible; please post them.

13. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Lashdeep,

The worst thing about the Countach are the door windows.

Only opening about maybe 8" makes me feel claustrophobic; and paying at a tollbooth is a nightmare.

Also, going through the drive-thru at McD's or Taco Bell can be hellish! :)

14. atheyg

atheyg Guest

He makes a **** load of money repainting all high end cars, does all the work for local Porsche,Merc etc.dealers, many new cars that are damaged from transit are touched up by him and the new owners are unaware as well as all the high end accident repair here which their are alot of wrecks in this town.

I am not into the Diablo but his is very nice, Silver with black suade leather dash and sport seats, black wheels, carbon fibre everywhere and Brembo calipers and rotors.

The JagXj220 is in his shop in a plasticair filled bubble, he also has a 54 Caddy convertible all original in a bubble, a spare Diablo gutted to the frame for parts for his car, other Ferraris and the Vector and thats just what I am aware of.

This guy is the real deal and has had them all, he has no axe to grind on the Countach but he said it was poorly made and drove just like a kit car, this from his experience with many of them as he used to import exotics from Europe to the U.S. in the 80s, he likes his Diablo though

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Hmmm, here i was always thinking the windows only open about 3 inches!

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    LASHSS ...... congrats and thanks for sharing. i love the countach. its an icon please keep us posted on the progress.

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I have a 93 512TR & an 86 Countach, The Countach has good power, good handling, poor brakes, & poor visibility.

Cant believe a guy who owns a Vector could call anything a kitcar after driving that fire trap.

Congrats on the new Countach. You'll probably want to have the wiring harness redone & see if it has the larger Bosch alternator w the serpentine belt, if not it would be a good idea to upgrade. I believe its the same alternator used on large MBs back in 86

18. atheyg

atheyg Guest

BTW
    The Vector is for sale for $100k, its Black on Black

19. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

The Countach is a mean machine, no doubt - it turns heads.

The TR breaks necks.......... we always create a scene wherever we drive the TR. :)

20. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    That wouldnt happen if there was a Countach driving next to you.

21. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Lots of you guys here know me and know I'm a hard core Ferrari fan, and patron, HOWEVER, I did have the chance to drive one of our club members Countach for an entire day. I put quite a few miles on it. I've gotta agree in this case with Allan. The car is like a big, fun, go cart. Super exotic too. No rearward visability, (ala William), but a real treat to drive. Big torque too. I'd say it'll take my 348 Turbo off the line. I have MORE roll on acceleration, (due to boost), But who cares. The car's cool factor is enormous. If you can affors one and be able to keep it running, go for it!

22. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Congrats on a very cool car!!!

Ed

23. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ed, I sent you a PM regards, WH

24. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I responded to it, did you receive it?

Ed

25. WILLIAM H

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Ed, no I must have erased it accidently please send me another with 512TR parts in the header, thanks WH