Alain de Cadenet | FerrariChat

Alain de Cadenet

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Challenge, Dec 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    This guy is actually making a living doing MY job. I was supposed to be the one to drive an array of irreplacable supercars through the picturesque twisties of Europe. :) I was supposed to be the one to beat on vintage racing monsters and garage queens alike, flogging them sideways a few feet away from disaster. At least he drives 'em right! He makes me proud! :D

2. Burnout

Burnout Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Canada
    Have you ever seen the video where he almost gets his haircut by a Spitfire?

Its best summarized in his own words....."F**K ME"!!!

3. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    I watched my recording of Victory by Design: Aston Martin yesterday. Alain always bring so much enthusiasm to each marque he covers that it's hard not to be excited watching him drive those fantastic machines.

His coverages of Goodwood events with Peter Windsor are great as well.

4. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I love Alain's job and attitude as well - they couldn't have picked a better host for VBD (as well as all the other things he does). Great driver, great personality, awesome job.

5. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I do think he is excellent - his enthusiasm is contagious.

6. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Can anyone tell me a little more about Alain DeCadanet's background? I know that he raced LeMans and designed his own car but I am wondering a little more about him. Surely he comes from a wealthy background to have funded his early racing. Can anyone fill me in here?

One other thing. Has anyone ever noticed that when he is talking on camera while driving that he changes gear every 2 seconds. It's like he is driving an 18 speed big rig.

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'm kind of curious, too. When I first saw him on TV, I really, really tried my hardest not to like him. I mean, he's got the accent, the racing background, access to all the coolest cars. But dammit! He just seems like a good guy. Bastard.

8. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Gilles27,
    LOL - that is exactly how I felt, but you can't help but like him - if you haven't seen the clip of him getting buzzed by the Spitfire at Goodwood, it's hysterically funny and really makes you like him more.
    Bastard.
    :)

9. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Nuvolari,

I don't know his background, but the "de" in his name certainly indicates an aristocratic lineage. I'd be curious to know more.

10. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Did a quick check on his biography on Speed Channel's website - didn't find out much about his genealogy, but did get some interesting tidbits - in addition to the racing stuff, his daughter Amanda is married to John Taylor of Duran Duran.

There is a town in the Vaucluse departement in France called Cadenet. There is also a feudal chateau there which is a listed historic site. An educated guess would be his ancestors come from there and were regional nobility. Whether his family still own the chateau or not, I couldn't say, but most likely they are affiliated somehow through bloodlines.

Maybe ol' AdeC visits FChat and can chime in himself?

11. vince308

vince308 Formula 3

May 23, 2003
    belgium
    Full Name:
    vincent
    de cadenet drove 512M (yellow) for our Belgian 'Ecurie Francorchamps'
    with team manager Jacques Swaters.

chassis 1030

1971 Le Mans n°9
    1971 Watkins Glenn n°63

12. vince308