No indication of what I've read!! | FerrariChat

No indication of what I've read!!

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by Brian C. Stradale, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    The absolutely best thing about the old board was that the threads where read if I have read them to their current state, and blue if not. That made it sooooo easy to remember where I was and not miss stuff. The old board did that better than most any other board I am on.

That seems to be completely gone in the new board... even more gone than those other boards I am on. I guess I'll have to start reading everything chronologically and keep a sheet that says up to what date I've read stuff.

2. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Brian,
    It's working ok for me on IE 5.1 on mac os x. Did you set something so that the visited links are the same color?

Birdman

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Old board:
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff" text="#000000" link="#0000ff" vlink="#bb0088" alink="#ff0000">

New board current settings:
    /* vBulletin 3 CSS For Style 'Red/Yellow' (styleid: 2) */
    body
    {
    background: #FFFFFF;
    color: #000000;
    font: 10pt verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif;
    }
    body a:link
    {
    color: #000030;
    text-decoration: underline;
    }
    body a:visited
    {
    color: #000000;
    }
    body a:hover, body a:active
    {
    color: #FF4400;
    }
    .page

________
    Rob:

#000000 is black - #000030 is a slightly lighter shade of black. Just need to change the color to something more apparent.

I note that the time is coded:
    .time
    {
    color: #666686;

Perhaps that would make a good a:visited hue/cue.

4. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    I posted this in GFD, but look at the icons to the left of the topic, if there is a little down arrow, that means that there is a new post. Click it, and it will take you to the newest post.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Those only show "new posts since last login"... which work okay if you visit FerrariChat once a day or less AND you don't have trouble remembering what thread you were just looking at.

But if you visit in between other stuff all the time, then those are pretty much useless. The link coloring works much better since it is showing you "new since you last clicked on this particular thread".

Wax may have identified the problem.

6. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I've been playing with those down arrows some more... they do seem to be doing better than "new posts since last login"... sometimes they vanish after update after visiting them... but not always. Weird.

But if they did work for "new posts since last visiting this thread" then they'd be waaayyyyy better than the old board, since clicking it takes you directly to the new post. That could be real sweet... if only it worked in some consistent manner.

If anyone sees the pattern, please let us know what it is...

7. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    One thing I am now realizing is that much confusion is caused by caching! For example, I'll be looking at an updated thread list... it shows a down arrow icon... I click it and it takes me to a post I've seen before... hmmm, I think, the down indicator was messed up (or so, I thought)... but in reality, it just loaded back up the cached page... if I hit refresh, then I get the page with the additional new posts!

Some of my other forums have similar problem... as a result, I visit them just once a day. With the old FerrariChat, I could easily visit anytime without difficulty... making it far more "chat-like".

Not sure there's anything you can do to fix that Rob... I suspect you'd need to insert something additional in the URL being sent so that it looks like a new page to the browser, though generates the same thing from the database. Like a "number of posts in thread" indicator that is ignored by the database but would avoid caches of the page with fewer posts.

8. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    also remember that at the top right, under a temporary check-y icon is a button "View New Posts" that will generate a list of all the new-to-you posts.

doody.