Oh crap, winter is here... | FerrariChat

Oh crap, winter is here...

Discussion in 'New England' started by Birdman, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Well, I think today was the nail in the coffin for driving the Ferrari. Seems they salted the roads. (And I just got my heat working too! Bummer!) I guess now I can start taking stuff apart and working on those winter car projects. We managed to squeek that last drive in the nick of time.

Stay warm...and lets still post some stuff in the NE chat section just so I won't be lonely, eh? I hate it when a week goes by without a post. Depressing!

Birdman

2. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Yeah 30 degree drop in 2 days - 15F outside my house right now.

Oh well - time to start dreaming about the spring and at least enjoy skiing in the meantime.

3. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Ahhh cheer up Bman...time flies...plus the days will start getting longer in only 3 weeks. I had my Tr out this AM for a brisk ride on RT24 So. on it's way to a service. Felt soo good.... and..don't you have some warm water you can dive into somewhere we can't ? :)

Kenny K.

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Yes, today's gloomy weather really put a damper on car guys fun. Time to put the snow tires on the M5:( Oh well, we have been lucky to get this far before any real storms have hit us (knocking on a 4x8 as I type)!!

Prova85:

Thanks for reminding us about the day legnth. It is always good to know that the daylight gets longer after Dec. 21st.

5. Jason W

Jason W Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Jason
    So is it snowing up there yet, guys?

I'm planning to move back to RI in fall of '04. I can't wait to be back up there. Texas weather is not for me.

Jason-

6. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    It is snowing? Ummm... already used my new Toro snow blower. Welcome to my neck of the woods :-(

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

7. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Hey, it rained this week!! Salt is rinsed and I'm going for a drive tomorrow. WOO HOO!!! ;-)

Birdman

8. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Do not speak so quickly. Just watched the evening news and heard that another northeaster will be here Sunday afternoon into Monday morning:(. Looks like rain for the cape, sleet/ice for Boston and 495 out snow/ice. This is shaping up to be another bad winter.

9. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    Come on down to the Cape ,all the snow is gone ,all the salt is washed away ,all the roads are dry ,going to play a few holes of (COLD) golf and then out for a ride in the F car.

10. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Exactly right, Birdman! The wonderful, beautiful, refreshing, invigorating, cleansing rain washed away all of the salt from the roads here in southern CT.

So I took advantage of it this bright and sunny morning with a nice little 45 mile drive to get a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich.

My only question is why I didn't see ANY other Ferraris on the road doing the same thing? Especially with another snowy storm forecast for Sunday afternoon.

Oh for the winter 2-3 years ago when we got only one snowfall all winter and I was able to drive my Ferrari every week throughout the winter!

FORZA guys, grab those drives while you can!

John

11. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    John,

i JUST came back from a nice 50 mile fun run :) The weather was glorious and the roads were clean and clear. Only thing i needed to be careful of was that the tires did not have the ultimate gripping/brake grabbing power as when on warm roads/days.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

12. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Just got back in from a nice ride with Verell. Oil never did get up to temp, but it was a great drive, and so nice because I thought the season was totally over. Nonetheless, in the cold weather, that rear shock is making quite a racket. Time to get that thing apart and rebuilt!

Birdman

13. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Steven/Birdman

As they say down under "Good on 'ya, mates!" I logged just under 100 miles today in two sessions, one a.m. and one p.m. The s***y (snowy) stuff comes back tomorrow.

John

14. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    Weather forcast for Cape Cod ,less than 2 in. of snow than rain oh that glorious wonderfull rain.

15. Ashman

Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John

Forecast for southern CT is snow at midday Sunday, turning to rain, then back to snow Sunday night and back again to rain on Monday morning.

The good part is that, the longer range forecast if for much warmer temps on Wednesday and then rain. If there is any salt on the road, that should wash it away again.

Where on Cape are you?

John

16. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Birdman,

>>>Oil never did get up to temp,<<<

Find a red t-shirt and stuff it inside the DRIVER'S side air intake (on side of car just behind the door, opposite the air intake). This keeps the cold air from directly blowing on the oil cooler. Of course it does take a bit longer for oil to come to temp, yet it does reach a decent, workable temp as there is no cold air directly coming in the side vent.

While oil NEVER reached 100 Celcius or overheated, if it was getting too hot i can simply open the door and reach around and take out the t-shirt at a stop light :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

17. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Here is a picture that proves you can drive a Ferrari in winter!! Last week Verell and I headed over to John's house to check out the major service he is doing on his 348.

18. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    And here is what the 348 looks like! YIKES! John and Verell contemplate getting the transmission apart from the engine....

19. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    Yikes is right! Nice work folks. I would love to come down and check it out before you re-install that beast. Looks like fun.

20. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    John, anytime you want to visit is fine, just let me know. Jonathan’s timing was perfect. I am still smiling in the photo. Spent only time thus far, not money. Smile may be a bit strained as I purchase major parts, waterpump etc.

21. Giovanni_P

Giovanni_P Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    MetroWest, MA
    Full Name:
    John Pelliccio
    I think I used to work with you, and I have a calendar with some of your pictures in it. Please PM me at [email protected] if you have a moment!