Storing a 355 (sob) for the winter... | FerrariChat

Storing a 355 (sob) for the winter...

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by benedict, Nov 12, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I need a nice storage spot for my car in New Jersey. I planned on using Classic Coach in Elizabeth but they are busting at the seams. Someone told me there is an exotic car storage spot in Point Pleasant. Anyone know the name? Ideally, I would want the car in a heated garage and started up once a week. Thanks

Ben

2. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    why do you need to store it somewhere? I would also check with insurance as they normally don't like cars left with third parties for extended periods of time

3. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    where in NJ are you located? I have possible storage in north east nj.

4. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Westfield (Union County)

Ben

5. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I grew up in westfield, too bad classic coach is filled as they are pretty close

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Ben,

I'm not sure if starting the car once a week while in storage is best for the car. I'm not far from you. A number of us nearby are not letting our cars hibernate over the winter. I intend to drive my GTB this winter as I did last year. Last winter, the longest the car stayed in my garage was about 2 1/2 weeks after the Presidents' Day storm.

Let me know an you can join up with us. You'll have a chance to see my fiberglass GTB and a gorgeous GTC/4.

Barry

7. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    and made some room for me. I know storage is not ideal but with the kids and the snow, I need that garage to plow my SUV through 12 inch snowdrifts. Besides this is my chance to get some repairs and upgrades done without missing any nice weather. I'd love to hook up with you guys. See you in April!

[

8. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Get a battery tender. works great. I use it for my other cars, during the winter. www.batterytender.com

9. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Interesting,
    I am currently looking to expand my shop to a new building with approx. 16-20 indoor climate controlled spaces for car storage. I had only planned to store race prepared ferraris and other exotics with their equipment, but i did not concider the street cars.

Ben, maybe if all goes well, I can help with your storage needs next year.
    The shop is being planned for the Milford Pa. area which is about 6 miles from the Northern NJ and New York borders on interstate 84.

If you can, to help me please let me know what you are looking for in a storage facility, (i.e. insurance coverage, detailing service, pickup and delivery, etc...). any comments are welcome and appreciated.

Best regards, Jim

10. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Hi Jim, aah Milford... Rte 650 Sussex NJ over the Milford Bridge is one of my favorite cruise spots. We usually stop in for a bite @ the Apple Valley Restaurant.

11. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Lots of great roads to cruise on for sure, rt 6, hawks nest, etc....Best in the fall, love kicking up the leafs..

regards, jim

12. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    You guys are talking about my neck of the woods. I'm in Warwick, NY. Right on the border with Vernon, NJ. 20 minutes from Milford, PA. If you want to get together for a drive, whatever, give me a shout.

Tom

13. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    Tom,
    Hopefully, If we can stay off this snow:(

But anytime you guys are ready, I`ll be there.....

best regards, Jim

14. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Will do Tom!

15. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    We don't have any room to store cars just for the sake of storing cars right now and anyway it looks like you found a berth but just "starting your car once a week" is not a good idea. I wrote an article for The Maserati Club a few years ago about storage that you may find informative. It's on our website under TECH TIPS.

Good luck and let's hope for a mild winter, although this weekend looks bad so early in the season.

Wil

16. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Wil, I'd be interested to read the article. What is your URL? Thanks

Ben

17. wildegroot

wildegroot Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 19, 2003
    Frenchtown NJ
    Full Name:
    Wil de Groot
    Sorry - left the URL out of my post:

http://www.exoticars-usa.com/tech

I wrote those articles when I was lying flat on my back recovering from a spinal lamenectomy 6 years ago. If any more disks go I'll write some more.

Wil