HELP! Door not working on 456, ideas appreciated. | FerrariChat

HELP! Door not working on 456, ideas appreciated.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by joelk, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joelk

joelk Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Hi there,

The driver's side door on my 456GT (1994) currently doesn't open from outside. The passenger side does. The door locks click like they unlock, the interior locking handles pop up and the lights flash to signal the alarm is disarmed - but the door handle just pulls all the way out, without it opening the door.

The only way I can get in, is entering via the passenger side and opening up the driver side door from inside the car. This is a new problem which started this morning.

Any problem solving ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

Joel.

2. zackspeed

zackspeed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Zack
    sounds like one of the plastic clips on the rod conecting the handle to the latch either fell off or broke. the inner door panel will have to be taken off to see either way. you can insert the key in the lock and if you turn the key to unlock and hold it, the windows will both go down and you can reach in and grab the inside door handle. no more climbing through the passenger side. plus it looks cool when you do it.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The 328 has a clevis pin that holds the door handle to the wire that attaches to the door lock. Maybe yours broke? I don't know of any other way than take your door panel off & take a look to see what is going on.

4. joelk

joelk Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Thanks guys ! Great advice. Nice trick about opening the window with the key. Why don't they tell you things like that when you buy it? That'll see me through until it gets repaired.

Much appreciated !