TR Dash removal | FerrariChat

TR Dash removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Octane116, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Octane116

Octane116 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Near Milwaukee, WI.
    Full Name:
    Cliff M.
    I need some help on information on "how to" remove the dash from an 86 TR. The dash top needs new leather. This is a common problem on TR's I'm told. I have removed the console, and gotten the right side of the dash loose to where it would come out, but the Speedometer/Tach gage pod area has some attachments that I am not seeing or cannot see access points too. Any help would be much appreciated

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The TR instrument housing "pivots" along the back edge (the back clamps are "L" shaped thingys that disconnect from their sockets when the front of the instrument housing is pivoted up). Remove the nuts/washers from the two studs to the left and right of the steering column and then rotate the front of the instrument housing up -- they oversized the holes in the housing to help clear the studs, but you still might have to flex it quite a bit.

3. Octane116

Octane116 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Near Milwaukee, WI.
    Full Name:
    Cliff M.
    Thanks for the info, will give it a shoot this weekend

4. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

Hey Octane:

I did remove the dash assemblies on my 86 TR, just like you are going to. Be aware that the dash panel that goes between the windshield and the front of your dash is a VERY flimsy piece of sh***y corregated plastic crap that will fall to pieces if you look at it the wrong way. Actually, I was appalled that it was constructed in this fashion - it really belongs on a Yugo. I replaced mine with a more sturdy material.

FYI, I bought the Leather myself & never told the guy that did the upholstery work that it came out of a Ferrari. - Cost me LESS than $100 for the labor. :)