1/32 Slot car track- Scalextric or Carrera? | FerrariChat

1/32 Slot car track- Scalextric or Carrera?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by jimpo1, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Does anybody know anything about this stuff? I'm thinking it might a fun Christmas present for me, but I don't know if one brand is better than the other. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Both are great choices to have lots of fun with, so it doesn't matter that much. Carrera is probably a tad better, however Scalextrix has IMHO two major pluses: For one it is available in the US. At least to some degree via speedgear.com. Second (and I think that is a big plus), Scalextrix is supposed to come out with a programmable chase car against which you can do real racing while alone. It's been announced for Q4 this year.

However a lot of the stuff is interchangeable so maybe the chase car would even work on a Carrera track.

Anyway, have fun!

PS: I got the Le Mans set from Scalextrix. Has just about enough parts to make a decent track.

3. castex

castex Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Rouen, France
    Full Name:
    Thomas Daniels
    I've never had the opportunity of taking any carrera products for a spin, but Scalextric cars are fab. One thing: don't expect a fast-looking car to be particularly quick; my F1 cars are consistently embarassed by a frankly lardy Mustang that sticks to the track at silly speeds thanks to its whopping great magnet. Test drives are in order, I'd say:)

Also worth a look - Ninco, Fly cars, and www.slotcarworld.com

4. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Some other things I've learned:

Carrera track has the smooth surface, and is hard plastic like the HO scale. (which means its not as forgiving when dropped or stepped on.) Carrera track is wide enough to run both 1:32 and 1:24 scale cars.
    Carrera track does not snap and lock in place when put together.
    SCX, NINCO and Classic Scalextric have rough road surfaces and are made of a flexible plastic like the big-truck mud flaps.
    SCX, NINCO and Classic Scalextric have the "snap together underneath" design and don't come apart when pulled and bumped.
    SCX and Classic Scalextric track connections are compatible/interchangeable.
    SCX and Classic Scalextric hand controllers, electric lap counters, speedometers, power terminal tracks and transformer plugs are NOT compatible/interchangeable.
    Ninco has an adapter track to connect to SCX and Classic Scalextric.
    Carrera, Ninco, Scalextric and SCX can be expanded to 8-lanes wide racing.
    Carrera and Classic Scalextric offer banked curves. Carrera is much more serious on this topic, offering multiple lane banked curves.
    Scalextric Sport Track has a smooth finish like Carrera. Goes together similar to Carrera, but unlike Carrera, Scalextric Sport Track is a durable, flexible plastic.
    Scalextric Sport Track snaps and stays together when connected.

Carrera cars are nice looking cars with nice detail, especially the American Muscle Cars and the 007 Aston Marton, but require some skill, some "tweaking" with after-market magnets, to race.
    Fly ... most of their cars are all around awesome!
    These cars have generally been the slot car "hobbyist's" choice for collecting and racing.
    Fly pays very close attention to detail and racing chassis balance designs.
    They offer cars that have engines in the front with drive shafts to the rear axle, .... to direct drive engine/gear configurations, without ring and pinion gearing.
    Ninco cars are nice looking cars with nice detail.
    They are quiet, fast, but require some skill, or some "tweaking" with after-market magnets, silicone tires, etc., to race.
    Scalextric has come a long way with their cars in the last year.
    They have made some much needed improvements to chassis handling.
    The detail on the New Sport Scalextric cars is "top shelf".
    Overall, the Scalextric cars are the fastest and quietest cars out.
    They still need a little skill for driving into the curves, but what a difference in handling, from a few years ago.
    The Sport Scalextric cars have earned the respect of many of our customers and are treated not only as slot race cars, but as collectible models. From what we have seen, the New Sport Cars are closing in fast on the Fly cars.
    With the test runs on our newly constructed huge in-store Oakridge Raceway Race Track Display, the Sport Cars may be "taking the Fly cars on the inside" .
    SCX cars, "Out-of-the-box", stick to the track the best and do the best on short courses, especially with lots of turns. SCX's attention to details on the cars is pretty nice. They even offer 4-wheel-drive Rally cars with head lights and tail lights! The 4 wheel drive cars are a little noisy because of the 4 wheel drive gearing and the magnet drag. SCX is still a good quality car.

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think your big decision is what system to buy. It doesn't really matter that much who provides the cars are they are the most interchangeable part of it all. I have cars from all different manufacturers. But I have to say I love the Scalextric cars the best. They're the easiest to drive, but the FLY are the prettiest.

As you mention Carrera did a nicer job with their bends and turns. The book "Racing and collecting slot cars" mentions that as well and says, that only Carrera allows you to build a somewhat realistic representation of the Laguna Seca turnscrew.

As I said before, to me the decision boiled down to availability and there Scalextric seems to have a leg up.

6. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    You may want to address what your objective is. I have HO slot car stuff, which I like to buy more track, more cars, more accessories. I can afford it in HO, not in 1/32. HO is a fun toy, but 1/32 becomes more of an investment.

So, do you want to keep growing a larger track, buy more cars, etc? Which company has accessories you like, unique track options (curves, side aprons, bridges)? Are you going to build a permanent layout?

7. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'm just looking for a starter set at this point, I have no idea if I'll ever expand. It won't be permanent setup, which kind of points me to the Scalextric. I was all setto buy a Carrera track because I love the banked turns, but I expect that I'm going to be tearing it down quite a bit so I'm thinking the Scalextric will probably hold up better. Also, I have 2 small kids so I expect it to get some abuse. The HO track I've bought has not held up well to the kids.