WHAT IS MY 308 WORTH? | FerrariChat

WHAT IS MY 308 WORTH?

Discussion in '308/328' started by ROCKY1634, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ROCKY1634

ROCKY1634 Karting

Nov 12, 2003
    NEED HELP...

PLANNING TO SELL MY PRISTINE 1983 308GTB QV (EURO MODEL), AND NEED HELP ON WHAT TO ASK. CAR IS RED WITH BLACK INTERIOR, NEW DUNLOP TIRES, CAR HAS 20,000 MILES, 30K SERVICE DONE 18 MONTHS AND 2500 MILES AGO. CAR NEEDS NOTHING. PAINT AND INTERIOR ARE NEAR PERFECT. CAR IS REGISTERED IN CA. SO NO PROBLEM WITH DOT/EPA. PLAN TO BUY A 355 BUT MUST SELL THE 308 FIRST, WHAT DO YOU THINK?
    THANKS

2. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
  3. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Low 30k
    high 35k

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Sad to say, it is worth more in parts than it is together. :(

5. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I would say $35K-$40K. This is assuming the car is perfect and has described.

Ken
    1985 308QV

6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I think $33k would be fair price for buyer and seller. If dry sump, maybe a little higher. Are all Euro 308's dry sump?

7. SMC

SMC Rookie

Nov 16, 2003
    Recently (2 months ago) sold 85 GTS QV Euro with 30k for $40.

8. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    QV's were never dry sumped. Dry sump only on Carburetted Euro 308 GTB's.

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    the market on the 308 s has been very strange. there are cars on ebay, dupont and auto trader that have less than 50k miles and they are mid 20's to high 30's, THEN there are cars that have " HIGH" miles in f car terms say 80k miles and they are still in the high 20's to low 30's. documented or not there is no way i am going to pay 25k ++ for a car with over 50k miles when there are plenty lower milage cars WITH RECORDS. i digress for bieng off topic but good luck figuring out what the car is worth , the 308 market is nuts...... sounds like your 308 is a very nice car and i wish you the best of luck getting your new car.

10. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I'm with the concensus: low 30's is where deals for nice cars like yours get done.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm looking for a Red/Black GTB, although prefer a carb model.
    I need a second one while my yellow/black is in the shop.

Yours sounds nice, PM photos to me!

A friend in the wholesale auction business at 2000 cars/month told me once:

"It's worth what you count in your hand, as you watch it drive away!"

12. funshipone

funshipone Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2002
    Harrison Twp. Mi. US
    Full Name:
    John Bicsak
    I have a pristine 1984 308 GTS QV wouldn't part with it for nothing less $40,000

13. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    When I get my '77 308 low VIN Euro out of the shop in two weeks, I would not take any less than $50K for it. Laughing? Wait until I post pictures of the work, a real show piece.

14. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I'm not laughing; I wouldn't take less than $20k for my Europa but no one would pay that much. I doubt you'll get $50k unless Paris Hilton used it in her video.

15. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Am not sure exactly which year they were produced but if your 308
    is fiberglass, then it may be worth close to that.

16. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Considering the car is red/black, low mileage and recent 30K service, I think you should be asking at least $35K.

If it was a US car, maybe $38K. I think the market is pretty strong for a really good quality QV.

17. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Ken-Ron: Hold your thoughts. First off, the VIN is in the first 100 308's ever built. Second, hold your breath until you see the work that has gone into this car and WHO has done it. Show quality, 100%. Keep in mind that there are those out there that would want this car because of the VIN alone, but not the average buyer that just wants to own a 308 by any means.

18. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    GTBs are worth less than GTS cars - no matter what. They may be rarer, because not many people wanted GTBs to begin with, so they were not strongly ordered from the factory. Enthusiasts like them for their lines and chassis stiffness, but GTS cars offer the wind-in-the-hair experience, and people pay more for that. $35K is a decent price for a low-miles GTS 308, but I'd knock off $3-5K for a GTB. You may get lucky and find a buyer that will give you more, but.....

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Ken-Ron: Hold your thoughts. First off, the VIN is in the first 100 308's ever built.

Is that good? I'd rather have a car made in the LAST 100 made if it's a Ferrari...but I'm sure the car has been all updated anyway judging from the description.

Second, hold your breath until you see the work that has gone into this car and WHO has done it. Show quality, 100%.

Nothing like a pretty face; no doubt about it.

Keep in mind that there are those out there that would want this car because of the VIN alone, but not the average buyer that just wants to own a 308 by any means.

Keerect. It will take a LONG time to find the right guy to pony up $50k for ANY 308. Look how long that wonderful aluminum body yellow 328 has been for sale! And it should fetch more than this car but hasn't. It's a buyer's market, not a sellers one. Sad but true.

20. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Ken...The guy with the most time wins. I have time! If it would sell, great, if not, I'm not going to give it away.

21. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I disagree James....

I think the GTB is worth just as much and perhaps a premium over the GTS. The people either want a GTS or a GTB specifically. While there may be more who prefer the GTS, there are lots of GTS cars out there for sale. A QV GTB is pretty dang hard to find... very few come on the market. For the guy who wants a GTB, they have to jump when one comes up.

I would not discount the car at all for being a GTB. That said, I think its work probably $32K to $35K if as described.

I am selling my pristine and updated '77 GTB. I have a serious buyer at $32,500 and the deal should be done next week. I would not take less.

Terry

22. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I think you're upside down about $20K. Maybe you'll win some trophies for the shelf.

But when Ralph Lauren spent all the money and then some on a car for his collection, he responded to the criticism with:

"It's not that I spent too much, but that I bought too early."

Time may eventually reward all of us early 308 (and 512 Boxer) owners,
    but then again, maybe not. Depends on what you paid, what you spend, and how you value the "smiles per mile".

T. Rutland's has plenty of VIN numbers from the graveyard. Which one you want? I just like mine 'cause it matches my address. Helps me find my way home.

Loan Value $28,500.00. Anything more is gravy! It does sound like a nice example.

23. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    I thought that 308QV GTB's were pretty rare. Almost all are GTS's.
    You might wait for the right buyer. Berlinettas seem to be more popular now than when built.

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I think we are getting a little "off topic" here...he asked what his car is worth...which basically means what people will pay for the car, not what you will sell for, regardless of how much blood, sweat and money you have sunk into the car...

If as represented, people would probably pay between low to mid 30's. Could he get more? Perhaps, if patient, and willing to find that rare buyer that is afflicted with "gotta have it now!" Should he try to get more? Absolutely, I would list it for $37k or so, and work down from there...to do any less would be to throw money away.

Can a perfect, "concours correct" 308 be worth $50k? Perhaps, but is anyone really looking for a perfect 308 to take to a concours? Not many, most would prefer to put 50k into a older, perhaps more historically significant Ferrari. Me? I'd probably put my $50k into your car, as an early, screaming Webers 308 with 255hp would be a hoot to own, but how many of us are out there? Not many.

Most would prefer a late model 328 or 348 or even TR.

25. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    I've been researching these lately. Id say $33K and you'd sell it within a week. $35-$38 if you want to wait several months for the right buyer...

-Wayne