I was just at the 612 unveiling in NYC | FerrariChat

I was just at the 612 unveiling in NYC

Discussion in '612/599' started by squidracing, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. squidracing

squidracing Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Pretty hot event. Car looks better in person....a real nice gentleman GT car.

2. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    got any pics already???

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #3 wax, Dec 3, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    I also attended the unveiling and was unimpressed with the car. Although some of the styling elements are interesting, like the cut line extending from the headlights to the rear of the car (very similar to the TdF) the car is otherwise bland. The interior is ok, with the dash being too techy and looking, dare I say it.. Japanese! It's also strange to see a Ferrari with park distance control!!!!

On the other hand, there were some serious trophy eye candy there of all flavors and sizes. The women were definitely better than the car. It's a relief to know that my money is safe!

5. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I went too and pretty much had the same reaction, more impressed with the leggy ladies than the car. I overheard two guys talking and one said, "where do you want to eat? , the other one says (while looking at the super-model), I'll start there. His friends says "Oh, you're disgusting!". ROTFLMAO!

6. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    I also attended the unveiling and loved the car as an GT car but would not give up my spider for it. The girls, well that's a different story.

7. benedict

benedict Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I agree. I'll keep my 355 Spider, thank you. These "gentleman's" Ferraris remind me of a line from the Rocky movies where Mickey tells Rocky, "ya done the worst thing a fighter can do, Rock, ya got civilized". My 355 is a loud, rude, aggressive, in-your-face Clubber Lang, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Ben

8. RacerNika

RacerNika Karting

Dec 2, 2003
  9. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well hi, Nika!

I wasn 't sure you'd "made it thru" to the new software.

Pm me how your car sale went. You can drive The World's Fastest Art Car, if you miss yours! Amanda says "hi" too.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Nika, You ate a PEACOCK?????????!!!!!!!!!!

11. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Nika, nice write up! Do you think the car will go the way of the 456 and be selling at half price in 3 years?

12. RacerNika

RacerNika Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    It was pheasant not peacock - someone translated incorrectly on the menu - even the chocolates had "World Champion" written on them in Italian

Ferrari 4 seaters have never really had the oooompf -- the 612 actually looks like Ferrari put some effort into making it a true sports car not 4 seater sedan. Unlike the Vanquish and it's purse size back seat - this car seats everyone comfortably - again I just wish I could hear it and see it run......then I can tell you if it'll fizzle or shine

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Whew! I'm relieved.

It was a great review! Sounds like a good party.

I can't carry those mints in my 308GTB trunk!

14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I still can't get used to the 'smiley face' grill. ..................... 'Happy car'. That kind of look belongs on a childrens toy.

15. eric

eric Formula Junior

Aug 3, 2001
    Albion, CA
    I liked it.

I found it very difficult to really get a good look at the car with so many people around it, but found I was attracted to it much more than the bland air-brushed photos Ferrari has released.

I talked for a while with one of the engineers, and he gave me some insight into some of the technological goodies that will make this car smoke everything else on the road. One coment was that it covered the test route the production test drivers take from the factory in far less time than the 360, even the CS.

I think this beast will really come into its own when a few people actually get a chance to test drive it.

I'll keep my order in, thanks.

Here's a pic to tease. It was hard to get good shots with all the people and the intense lights above.

16. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    UH is there a car in that picture?

17. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That color would be the "lacklustre Blue or silver" that Nika referenced in her review.

I don't like the style/color of that dress either! These stylists need some HELP, man. At least on the dress. Looks like an extra from Braveheart.

We got some holographic colors down here in 'da hood that'll snap that edge styling right on out!

For my money, I'd take the two tone Schumi Edition 456 out in Cali.

18. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I cant say I was wowed by the first art depicting the car, but it has *grown on me*.
    I have yet to see a pic of the car, so my final judgement will rest untill then.
    At least its better than the 456, it wasnt ugly but it was no show stopper like the Daytona was/is.
    The new car seems to have adressed that.

19. MPalilonis

MPalilonis Karting

Sep 30, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hey Guys,

I didn't get to go to the unveiling of the 612 cause I am here at school. However, today I ventured down to Borders to look at the new mag's for the month. To my suprise, Top Gear's Magizine (Dec. '03) did a complete story on the new 612. There is a full shot of it on the cover. It even has actual pictures, some of the inside, one of the engine and some exterior shots. Its like a 4 page article or something like that. While I was reading it, the article noted that there are only 2 fully completed cars. One red and the other silver. They said that by this summer Europe would be able to purchase them. Even though they say production will be like 100 a year or so. Oh yeah, also they mentioned that Sigerio Segalti (sp?) would probably be rolling over in his grave because they took the lines from the 375 MM which he had no involvement in building. Its kind of funny if you think of it. Like disrespect to the gentle or something. So go check it out at Borders Books!!

Tifosi :)

~Mike P.

20. plapham

plapham Rookie

Nov 28, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    There is a good article in Jan '04 Automobile mag with pics ... sans the ladies.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I don't understand what the skeleton in a dress represents.
    Is she the Ghost of Christmas Past or something?

22. Ontogenetik

Ontogenetik Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    >Now, Ferrari had ventured into the world of four seats before, but with a clutch of cars in the 1970s
    >such as the 308GT4, 2+2 Mondial and the 400 that somehow seemed boring. Neither their looks nor their
    >performance awakened the senses like that of other Ferraris, and their value drained away.

?????

Performance? Value draining away?
    Comparing midengine 8's with front 12's?

>Until now, the 456M was the only four-seater Ferrari currently in production,

now + currently = rather poor journalism

>with slightly more than 1,300 built from the time it was first produced in 1998.
    >Although it was Italian in sound, in looks it was so bland that you might as well have owned a BMW sedan instead.

Have you studied design?

Practically all of the cars mentioned, sans the Mondial perhaps,
    are more creative and beautiful designs than the mostly cliché 3x8 2 seaters.

>Would it be a beauty or a beast?

The world revolves around 'and's

>Nika, nice write up!

Average

23. RacerNika

RacerNika Karting

Dec 2, 2003
    I'll certainly let him know how much you disagree

love to read your piece....

24. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'll show him the piece I keep in the 308 glovebox!

Speedy

PS. I thought we were talking about styling here. I agree it DOES resemble the smiley cars at the Chevron station. I thought Ferrari used Shell products!

25. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Any more pictures from this event?