02 Maserati sypder v. M3 Conv. | FerrariChat

02 Maserati sypder v. M3 Conv.

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Davidindallas, Nov 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    If anyone has driven or owned both, could you tell me which one is the squeakier? I've heard complaints about both.

2. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    who cares they are cars, get the mesarati over the BMW if you have the choice.

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I agree with Rob. You wont look like a drug dealer in the Maserati :)
    Plus its a Ferrari engine.

4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Get the M3. It is faster, cheaper, will retain its value better, handles better, is more reliable, sounds better, has a better SMG transmisssion option and seats 4 to boot. If you want a $15k car in 5 years, buy a $90k Maserati today.

5. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Id get the M3.

6. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    There seem to be a lot of low mileage '02 Maserati spyders out there, asking in the high $60s, which seems like a good deal to me. There have been a number of threads here discussing the Maseratis, all I can tell you is that my wife and I enjoy ours. As for further depreciation, I think the only thing that will save us is the sudden discovery of the marque by a larger group of buyers. I am not sure why these cars are not more popular, I'd think the warranty might answer concerns about reliability.

Squeakier?

7. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    What I meant by squeakier was body flex. I've heard that complaint about boith.

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    The M3 convertible is definitely squeakier. I have driven many, many Maseratis and good number of M3 convertibles. If you know how to drive the F1 paddles, they are actually smoother than the SMG. We drive a silver SMG occasionally and I personally do not like its characteristics when compared to that of the Maserati.

But again to answer your question. The BMW is squeakier. However, there is still some cowl shake in the Maserati Spyder, especially in the 2002 models.

9. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I have a BMW M3 Convertible and have had it for 2 years - daily driver. Not a single problem of any kind. It is fast, sounds great. I think that it is pretty solid structurally. It gets a little squirrely on tight bends with an uneven surface. But it doesn't really squeak. Very little cowl shake. I really like the car. Have not driven a Maserati spyder so I cant compare it.

Dont really understand the drug dealer comment from AMENASCE??? Helpful response - not.

10. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Damn--I agree with both Frank and Allen. I owned a Maserati Spyder for 6 months ('02 cambiocorsa) and I now own an M3 convertible ('03 6 speed). I took a bath to get rid of the Maser, and I did it for one reason. The cowl shake was intolerable in the Maser. The M3 is significantly stiffer (yet, it still has some flex). Neither car "squeeked" or "rattled" significantly--both seems relatively well screwed together. Based on my experience with the Maser Cambio (negative) and an opinion formed on several mutli-hour test drives with the SMG (even more negatively)--I went with the 6 speed. Marty on this board has a 575 F1 (he loves it) and sold a 6-speed M3 to buy an SMG M3 (a decision he severly regrets).

BTW, my 360 has more squeeks than any of my 4 vehicles. But it is still the most fun ;-). And, it has much more space for a weekend trip than the Maser had.

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Seriously? The 360 holds more than the Maserati?
    Hmmm... can't remember if I ever looked in the trunk...

12. rated///M

rated///M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Trevor Ely
    if it werent for the poor resale i'd take the maserati without a doubt...but I think i'd have to hand it to the M in this category, you will definately not be let down.

btw, in reference to the 'squeakiness'...you may look into getting one with the 18" instead of the 19" if you're not into a super harsh ride, and this will at the same time get rid of what little rattling/noises you may have out of the super solid e46 chassis.

...if it were me i'd buy a Noble M12, but that's completely off topic :D

13. albertl

albertl Formula Junior

Oct 23, 2002
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Albert
    If you did not get the spare tire kit in the 360, the trunk is much larger than the Maserati. I have them both and can that for a daily driver, the Maserati has not failed to satisfy my needs.

14. NoWives

NoWives Rookie

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, Il.
    To add a bit more: I'm not sure that the Maser and the M3 should be in the same ballgame. They each have specific values to specific drivers. I use an M3 cab as a daily driver ( 6-speed ain't easy ) and it is solid, squeak-free ride. Excuse me, that was AFTER the right BMW tech, armed with experience and the proper German lube, and then a factory modification/repair to the top and NOW it"s great.

15. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Not only is the 360 trunk bigger, but there is serious room behind the seats (whereas in the Maserati there is virtually NONE).

I must have gotten my M3 cab off of a different assembly line than others here--it is not what I would call stiff (though not flexy either). It doesn't squeek--but it does have both cowl shake and flex. As convertibles go it isn't bad, but certainly isn't among the best in terms of stiffness.