348 exhaust project | FerrariChat

348 exhaust project

Discussion in '348/355' started by 92_348ts, Dec 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I finally coughed up the money for a Tubi last month (thanks Tino), but I couldn't decide what to do with my cats.

Most guys on the board have said that a Tubi with strait pipes was just too loud, however the 348's I have heard with a Tubi and cats in place weren't loud enough in my opinion (great sound, just too restricted).

I ended up ordering a pair of euro resonators from Stebro (strait pipes w/resonators). The build quality looks good, however the raw stainless steel pails by comparison next to the Tubi system.

I went out and purchased a pedestal buffer, and after less that an hour, the euro resonators actually came out looking pretty good.

I am going to try to get the system mounted on the car tomorrow and I'll check back with you guys to let you know how the sound turned out.

2. bboxer

bboxer Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2001
    I happen to think the 348 with Tubi and straight pipes sounds pretty good but a little too loud. I am curious how the resonnated pipes will sound and look forward to hear from you. Nice job on those Stebro's !

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I have a tubi w/cats....but I have tubi's test pipes sitting on my shelf....I just haven't had the time to put them in.

I'm anxious to hear what you have to say about the pipes that you have.

Ciao

Dino

4. julian_blk348

julian_blk348 Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Tubi with cats just didn't do it for me... not loud enough! Had to put the cats back on for smog testing and immediately afterward, I put the test pipes back on. Another thing you could do after the Tubi install is to remove both heatshields then you can really see the complete exhaust. You will have to fabricate 2 brackets (very simple to do) to hold up the intake hoses.

Have fun :)

5. Ferrari Fanatic

Ferrari Fanatic Formula 3

Apr 2, 2003
    SoCal
    I have a 1998 355 Spider Tubi with Test Pipes and even with the top down it is not too loud. I drive my car on shorter trips (less than 100 miles) so it has never even come close to being a nusiance.

Too loud?? Are some of these guys trying to conduct a Business Meeting while redlining their 348??

6. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Julian good to see you like the way the 348 sounds without the cats and the Tubi. I know I always loved mine! I think it is perfect, in the car it is there, but I still hear more engine noise and intake than I do the exhaust...if you are behind the car however it is a different story! :p Not having the cats also keeps the engine compartment quite a bit cooler than before and got rid of the damn annoying "Slow down" lights when driving on hot summer days. I drove it to Indy this year straight from Minnesota and it was never annoying.

I know last summer at a Ferrari drive here in Minnesota a lot of guys were saying it was too loud but just as many were saying they loved it. All personal preference, it is still not as loud as with the challenge exhaust. I tried it and had to take it off because it was just really pissing my neighbors off!

John

7. julian_blk348

julian_blk348 Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Julian
    John,

Good to hear from you as well. After having both heatshields removed, I think it's going to make the cats/test pipes swap a lot easier. You won't believe how much access you'll have from the top of the engine!

8. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Yeah I know I havent had my heatshields on since I put the tubi in...I didnt see a reason as I knew there was going to be so much less heat. I am sure the car sounds bad ass when blasting up the pacific coast and the sound bouncing off the mountians. :eek:) Ahh now only if it wasnt snowing and 25 here in Minnesota!

9. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Well I wonder why they put those heatshields in ?

Could it be they serve a purpose?

10. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    They serve the purpose of macking sure the hear from the upper muffler is vented out the steel gril instead of the vents on the top of the engine. This was to keep the paint from bubbling on the engine lid. With the Tubi eliminating the upper muffler, and retaining less heat while running (almost 60 degrees!! from my theromo measuments). There is just no need for them anymore once the Tubi was installed, I had a mechanic at Lake Forrest in Chicago tell me they removed them on all cars they install Tubis on.

11. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Indeed!, the exhaust heat shields prevent the inner axel boots from cooking (especially at the track) and the mufler rear heat shield prevents the mufler from cooking the rear facia (especially at the track). You can probably get away without these if you don't track the car (often).

12. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    O.K., got everything buttoned up late last night. I can't believe how much extra space I have in my engine compartment now.

The sound is GREAT. It has an aggressive growl at idle, but is not too overwhelming when driving around town. However, when you take the car above 4000 RPM....WOW!

If my math is correct, I shaved off approximately 46 pounds.
    Stock muffler 64 lbs.--------> Tubi 28 lbs.
    (2) stock cats 16lbs.--------> (2) Stebro euro resonators 6 lbs.

I ended up purchasing new exhaust gaskets (donuts) and replaced all the nuts, bolts, and washers with cadium coated hardware. The only regret I have is not having the sliding catalytic converter flange (see photos) chromed to match the rest of the system.

Anyway, I'm definately happy with the combination I went with.

13. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
  14. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
  15. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Looks just like mine buddy! It looks great, and I imagine it sounds awesome as well.

16. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks John. By the way, is it ever NOT snowing in Minnesota?

17. jjstecher

jjstecher Formula Junior

Jan 21, 2002
    Rochester Minnesota
    Full Name:
    John Stecher
    Not really...I think the only time it doesnt snow is from May-Sept but during that time it is usually snowing local police. Enjoy the car man!