rebulding calipers 308 | FerrariChat

rebulding calipers 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by joeyy, Dec 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    rebuilding rear calipers on 308. ATE. it looks pretty straightforward are there any things to look out for?

2. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    I have my front and rear calipers off of my 308 QV completely apart. Fronts are very basic, no surprises at all. The rears are pretty basic also except when you get to the handbrake stuff. I think there's about 2 million pieces! But really no surprises. I did have some difficulty in removing the metal cap at the base of the handbrake lever shaft. I drilled a couple holes and tried to pry it off but it didn't budge. So out came the blue flame for a little heat. After that it popped right out. I also found a small amount of corrosion on 2 spacers around the sealing seat. After talking it over with a good buddy, (a great fabricator/ technician also) he recommended to lay a little JB Weld in the gap just to tighen up the sealing surface. I did and all is fine!
    So now I have to locate a source for the seals and handbrake stuff, paint the calipers red and re-assemble everything.
    If I wasn't so cheap, I'd buy a digital camera and post step by step photos of what I'm doing. But the car is draining me of all my $$! In fact it's been nothing but hotdogs for the last 6 months! J/K!
    Go for it! It's not difficult. Or pay Whitepost way to much money to do very little.

3. zff

zff Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Ken
  4. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    T Rutlands has all rebuild parts you will need. there are 2 kits one specifically for the hand brake. thanks for the link ZFF.

5. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    ZFF what a great link. I wish I had that when I did my rebuild. As for parts, the calipers are out of a Porsche 914 (with spacer added) so you can try your local Porsche repair business.

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    BTW, MAZDA uses a similar, or maybe the same rear caliper design with the park brake actuating the piston. Have encountered it on Rx7s & a Ford Probe. The MAZDA manuals are fairly detailed & mostly relevant.

7. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Other than rebuilding the calipers, adjusting the rears (as you do with any pad replacement) is a little tricky due to the inner and outer adjustment mechanisms.

Ric Rainbolt has an excellent reference on this here...
    http://home.att.net/~ferrari/brakes5.htm

FWIW, since I've never done the caliper rebuild, I opted to get rebuilt ones direct from T. Rutlands. They're nice units--anondized, clean, etc. You send them back your old cores. Cost of course is more than a rebuild kit...

--Mike