575M fiorano handling package | FerrariChat

575M fiorano handling package

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by jim g, Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Anyone have any experience with the Fiorano handling package on their 575M, and does it help to tighten up the handling noticeably? I may be picking one up and noticed that of all the pre-owned 575's out there that not one has this package that I could find.

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    it's a very uncommon package. when i was 550 shopping, i only came across one single car that had it (2000 and 2001 MY). i would assume 575s would have it in basically the same proportion.

i'd guess that most initial buyers of maranellos are not hyper sportscar guys - they're looking for a lux, fast, gt - so the option gets passed over pretty quickly "dealer: oh, that's an option that gets you a stiffer suspension, and tighter response, blah blah blah" and the buyer simply assumes (right or wrong) or is advised (right or wrong) that it's "damn stiff enough already".

doody.

3. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Dealership here discourages ordering the F package.
    Brakes squeel like crazy.
    Hard on tire wear.
    Must watch air pressure closely.
    Never have driven one with the pkge so can't comment on handling.

4. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Well, I have the Fiorano on my 575 - but mine is the only Maranello I've ever driven, so I have nothing to compare. I like a very stiff suspension, so the Fiorano doesn't bowl me over. I suppose the car rides somewhat hard, but you still get some squat and dive on braking and acceleration. At about 700 miles, I haven't pushed the car extremely hard yet, but I have never really noticed a change in the car's personality based on how hard I drive it. So, I can't tell you it's a "must have." Wish I could help you more, it's a fun car. Good luck, Will

Edit -mw is right, you cannot possibly overestimate the brake squeal. The only way I've found to defeat it is to threshhold brake for every stoplight, which is silly. I could replace the FHP stock pads with a softer compound; I was quoted $1600 for a new set - and believe me it's almost worth it. I also have noticed tire pressure changes, although not severe, and this is something I monitor anyway.

Edit 2 - FWIW, I definitely am a hyper sports car guy. The 575 doesn't fully scratch that itch for me, which is one reason I ordered a Stradale.

5. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    The 550 with the FHP tracks into the corners noticably better but yes...the ride is a little stiffer (take it out of sport if you must). The brakes are basically (in a word) obnoxious however they definitely do the job better than the standard brakes when pushing the car to it's limits.

I cannot comment about the different nuances of it with regard to the 75.

DL

6. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    i recall a thread being posted specifically about the fiorano package on the 550/575 on the old board. check in the archives. if you don't find it, i'm sure dr. shelbee will see this thread and comment since i believe he's driven one with the fiorano handling package. i remember him saying the brakes squeal like crazy!

7. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak Karting

Jul 20, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Why is it ok for Ferrari to be aware of their problems with the FHP and not do anything successfully about it, when I'm sure they have brilliant engineers? Whatever the cost of the fix would be could probably fit into the price of almost a quarter million for a new Maranello.

8. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    According to the magazine reviews in the UK the 575 got slated for being too soft (too orientated to the american market were their exact words). Everyone with no exception hated its standard handling. Ferrari very quickly brought out the Fiorano package and the car was retesed. All the new articles basiscaly say that it restores the handling and it should be the standard setting !

Thats the view from over the pond :)

9. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I have had 550's with and without FHP. There is not a "problem " with the FHP brakes. They squeak when they're cold. A lot. Loudly. Always stop, stop great, better when hot, and actually get quieter when HOT. Steering is a bit sharper, as is ride, about like sport is on a non FHP car, and Sport is harsher still, but not much roll/dive. If you track, if you run on roads with 100-160-100-40-160 transitions, the FHP is great. If not, you won't notice much. I liked my FHP, so did a deer. Still, the difference between a FHP and a non-FHP 550, versus a non-FHP 575 seems to be smaller. I have not driven FHP 575, so I can't comment on that beast. My guess is suspension geometry, or steering rack issues...and nomatter what anyone says, a 575 isn't a Lincoln Townhouse. Just feels a bit more isolated/damped than the 550, on same tires(OEM S0-2's). Maybe bigger hydraulic pump to drive steering and F-1 box bits too? WFK?
    Either way, unless you are Schummi Jr., Dario, or Gilles V, mortals won't notice much. 8^)

10. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Good memory Stokpro