Ferrari-related quotes from Jan 04 Car & Driver | FerrariChat

Ferrari-related quotes from Jan 04 Car & Driver

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    What was the best quote from January's Car & Driver?

====

"One Ferrari official, who was apparently aiming to offend almost everyone, on seeing the curiously Ferrarilike Honda HSC concept unveiled at the Tokyo show: 'It looks like an Enzo on estrogen.'"

(They supplied a pic of the HSC complete with lipstick and eyelashes. :) )

====

The title of the article on the 612 Scagletti:
    "Some Dare Call It a Scag"

I'm surprised some here didn't come up with that.

====

Despite their portly numbers for the Stradale, they did say:

"You won't find another car here that gets your heart pumping like this Ferrari."

"We did our top-speed testing on a windy day, and with the Porsche jumping around dramatically, we didn't have the cojones to bring it to its claimed 190mph top end. The Ferrari was just the opposite -- buttoned down, secure, undramatic. We ran it to 176mph with nary a white knuckle."

"And we never grew tired of hearing the engine. It really is the sweetest-sounding motor available. Every time we headed off on a lapping session, crowds formed at the starter's stand."

Referring to the Ford GT:
    "The whole car has a kind of robotic feel to it when compared with the lusty Ferrari."

The Ferrari won in driver experience... but was left behind (literally) in the performance department. With a lower price tag, it would have tied for the win.

====

Yes, I know I am posting just the Ferrari-positive quotes... this is a Ferrari site... I am just posting these for Ferraristi entertainment.

Brian

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I think they pretty well sum it up. For me, it's all about the engine. Nothing else sounds like a Ferrari. I'd imagine the GT sounds a lot like the Mustang GT I followed to work this morning.

3. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think that HSC comment is totally stupid. I guess we will see how Honda responds. I hope they make the HSC blow the doors off the 360.

4. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

The HSC comment by Ferrari is a compliment. When the big dog mentions your name or notices your car. You are doing something right/wrong. All press is good press when Ferrari talks about your car.

Funniest Ferrari Quote .. . and Hypocritical

"The Gallardo is in a different class! This is Epic! No under-steer at all, It is Fantastic! Lighting reactions, changes directions like a fly.
    Try these same moves at this speed while driving the 360 and the Ferrari turns into a small dog, spinning around your legs and wagging its tail.
    The only problem with the Gallardo..... Its not a FERRARI."
    (Top Gear video clip posted about a month ago "But its not a Ferrari")

5. GWat

GWat Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    USA
    You missed one:

"...we'd sell our homes if it meant we could hear that engine every day."
    -Car and Driver Jan. '04

Another interesting quote was:

"...the Ferrari couldn't outrun the less-expensive Porsche."
    -Car and Driver Jan. '04

Which is in direct contranst to the statement in another mag.

"...I find myself cursing the GT3's lack of grunt...the sight of the bright red Ferrari hollering off into the distance tends to give you a slightly warped perspective of what fast really is."
    -EVO Sept. '03

6. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

wait til you guys see what David E Davis said abt little red cars in the latest AUTOMOBILE magazine. He obviously has no love for the current Ferrari lineup.

7. zackspeed

zackspeed Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Zack
    david e davis is the biggest blowhard in the industry. right up there with brock yates. i dont even read automobile and i'm sick of car and truck and minivan and sport ute.

8. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    David E Davis once sold his 328 GTS for a Porsche 968 - having owned both, I can honestly say the man has no clue whatsoever.....

9. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Both of these guys write as if they are royalty and that people actually care what they have to say. I agree, Automobile sucks. A crap version of Car.

Bloated blowhards.

10. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I remember DED bragging about that transaction. His 968 had 'the biggest 4 cylinder in the industry.' Like that somehow made it special?

11. Nibblesworth

Nibblesworth Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 29, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    BillyBoy
    I'm surprised any of you even READ Automobile anymore.

I have yet to even TOUCH an issue since they gave the 1997 Car of the Year Award to the fuggin' Toyota RAV4.

I have been boycotting their crap ever since - it was totally transparent that Toyota had given Automobile big $$ in adverts, giving them the COTY.

What a joke.

12. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I read the rag because I like Jamie Kitman and Jean Jennings. Other than that, I spend the least amount of time with that magazine.

13. Car magazines are crap in general.

14. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I debated sending a letter to the editior recommended in the future when they make car comparisons they include which car the writer/tester, given the opportunity, would take home.

Numbers to tell a story but not a complete one.

Based on my reading of the article, I believe he would have chosen the Stradale.

15. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    I think the fact that Automobile magazine is given away free on the Delta shuttle @ LGA is indicative of its general standing. The general list of publications they have are pretty poor. The only saving grace being free FT and NYTimes.

In England Automobile magazine would be called "pants".

16. John Miles

John Miles Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    A 968 is a damned good car, 4-banger or not. I miss my '92.