Parting out the 550 | FerrariChat

Parting out the 550

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by TestShoot, Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I decided today, that due to mounting xmas finances it would be a wise idea to start parting out my 550, rather than send it to the coachworks for a custom body. I probably have a buyer for the motor, but there are some good parts left. PM me if you are looking for something special.

I will be sans (bike not counted) Ferrari shortly. In the spring I will probably pick another up once I clear a licensing deal. At that time I might consider the Barchetta or 575, but from what I am hearing the suspension on the 575 is not as good as the 550. I guess I have plenty of time to decide. In the mean time my DB will be finishing up and my p1800 (a kick to drive) will be that much closer to 400hp.

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    DES will take the scuderia shields.

DL

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    can you clarify for us why this car is being parted out?

what color is/was it?

what kind of condition is it in?

i may be interested in some stuff.

doody.

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Darth's right, i'd like the Scuderia shields price pending... Please let me know, thanks... :)

5. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Car was parked and hit behind the driver's door, pushed up on to the sidewalk where it was pinned by a lamp post. Right across the street from Symbolic I might add.

Car is your sterotypical red 99. It is stored in a wherehouse under a tarp in San Pedro, and has been for three months. The guy that owns the space is a friend of my father, and is looking to turn the space into lofts. It is safe for another two months.

6. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    What about the insurance company?

7. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Tim (testshoot), you got a PM.

If you didn't get it for some reason, send me an email [email protected]

-Eric

8. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I took the insurance money because at first it looks like it was ok. I had three others come by to check it out, and they all said to part it, that there was no reason to try and repair it unless I was gonna turn it to a track car.

I am at a friend's office so I don't have my computer in front of me so I am going to post some pix of a 550 and describe the damage.

This image shows the approx damage area from the front. It pressed up against the pole at about 10 mph with the truck pushing it. The damage goes back around 10 inches from the front of the car. The car was elevated at the time because the rear of the car was still in the street at the time.

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    This is where the truck's bumber dug in to the car. the door was hit right and popper open allowing it to act as a support on the bumper to aide forcing the car forward. Honestly, I may have closed the door with the belt or my jacket partially in there because of the rush I was in to get on the set.

The left seat was broken free on the left side so the 'rails' are bent, but the seats are fine in tan leather.

Airbags did not deloy because of the angle of the impact and speed.

10. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I'll see about pulling the Cavallino off the grille for you since that is trashed. Hope you have access to a polished, it has a small scratch.
    I'll start a bidding war between DES and Jordan :) hahaha!

11. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, i wasn't aware Jordan wanted that; Jordan gets first dibs, then...

12. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Tim... I could use a new cavallino on the back of my 348 grill! I don't have a chrome one yet! :) (plus mine is starting to peel)... haha...

I guess the ideas of building a hot rod with the 550 motor are out the window, eh? ... well, a 575 or barchetta is a good choice...

Byron

13. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    575 barchetta, I hope they do, but with the suspension gripes some have.

The Cavallino if from the front grille, dunno if it is the same size or if you will have a Letterman-toothed sized gap :eek: You have my number still, gimme a ring Sunday, maybe I may ride my bike down to CCove Saturday.

Yeah the hot rod 550, well, I dunno, the guy that is picking it up is an old friend that introduced me to the Ultima, so maybe he will put it to use, but he has a few Ferrari project racers himself, so its destined to something.

14. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Oh boy another car wrecked....

speaking of wrecked...Byron, the cavallino in the back you can take off on the 2 screws and use chrome paint and respray it. I have done that a couple of times before. Works well for 6 months or so and then just redo it.

15. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    THANKS, Martin. Always full of good tips. ;) LOL
    I wish the tranny was as easy to just re-do every 6 months... btw, did you ever meet Bill? :)

Tim - I'll give you a buzz this weekend. If you do make it to the CC spot on sat, look for our small gathering of FCars... I'll look forward to seeing you there by bike! :)

16. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    what will you take for the whole thing?

17. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    Byron, not that I recall but then my memory is sketchy at best.

18. Cavallino Motors

Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    unless you mean that Korean guy Bill Mi Latr :)

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Martin - LMAO...!!!

20. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    If you are going to sell some parts on your 550, I would like to be there. My 550 needs a couple of share parts and i am in SOuthern California. Just tell me when and where.

21. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Bart,
    Tim is in the Newport area... if you come out to CC this saturday, he might be there.
    B.

22. steve2814

steve2814 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2002
    I'm kind of interested in either the gauge cluster, the gated shifter, or the pedals...I'm just looking for a souvenir type of thing to put in my room...

23. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I had a guy come out and take some parts this weekend related to the engine (including the engine) my dad was there, so i have tyo ask what is left, as I was on ythe couch with my bad back

24. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I would be interested in something like that also.

25. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

How many miles on the car?

I sent you a PM about ehat might interest me, depending on the miles...