No heat in my F355 | FerrariChat

No heat in my F355

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by F355Berlinetta, Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. My F355 blows cold air no matter what I have the heat set at.
    The car spent it's life in Southern California and Florida before that. The heat has probably never been used before, being that it get a little chilly in Chicago I would like to use it. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Park it next to a 308 with old fuel lines.

3. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    355s have and an electric pump and and electric valve in the heater hose under the front bonnet adjacent to the AC unit. remove the fiberglass cover then check the connections. In the picture, the pump has the blue stripe, the valve has the blue dots.

4. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hi,
    Zan gave you a great shot of the heater values. The round vertial motor (nearest the front) pumps hot water, the squareish motor (nearest the driver) opens a value to let more or less hot water through as you increase or decrease the temp setting via the a/c - heat control unit inside the car. If you have the cover off , as in Zan's photo, check to see if the heater motor is functioning (open/close the value) and the valve is moving to different positions.
    Good luck,
    Jim

5. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #5 colo348, Dec 7, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    F355Berlinetta
    I found a couple of images that might help your diagnosis of your heat problem.
    Good luck,
    Jim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Zamboniman308 likes this.
  6. colo348

colo348 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #6 colo348, Dec 7, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    After you get it fixed, its always a good plan to turn the heat on once a month for 1 minute just to let fresh coolant into the heater core and prevent corrosion and cake buildup. You don't have to cook yourself, just feel the warmth and shut it back off.

8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I had the same problem in my 99. On the highway it would be OK, then going through San Francisco it would only give heat on full fan/full heat. FoSF could not find anything wrong, and suggested I had not warmed it up enough. (it's 70+ miles to FoSF from my house)
    Los Gatos found the heater valve questionable, and also some indication on the SD1 tester that the control unit might be having problems. They replaced both, and it's been fine for two years now.
    I would have the heater checked out with a SD1 tester before replacing anything. It's about a half hour test to check out everything.

9. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thanks again,
    Dan.

10. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    All,

It seams that I'm having a similar problem.

Since quite recently, I'm not anymore able to get hot air inside the cockpit of my F355 (date : 1997). This even if I put the climate unit temp selector to the "Red" temp (highest position).

In this position, the fan working at full load (normal) ... but only with "external" air. The air is clearely not heated nor colded. It's just external air (apparently).

When the outside temp is higher than the selected inside temp, I'm getting a quite well regulated temp inside. So it's seams that the AC system is working well.

All in all, I'm suspecting a problem with the "hot-water" regulation (ie the electrical pump or the heater valve ... or something else I'm not aware of).

So I decided to removed the liner to check the climate system.

First of all, I tried to identified any fuse that can be faulty. As per the usermanual, there is not fuse dedicated to the heater sytstem in the front boot nor on the passanger floor side. The visual control confirmed that.

I then tried to measure some potential on the electrical hot water pump. This to determine that the climate unit was giving some instruction to actuate the system. I did not succeed. May be I was not having good enough contact with my voltmeter. There is soo less room to access the contact overthere!

I then measured the potential on the heater valve. The tension was clearely changing as I was actuating the temp selector in the cockpit. So the control of the valve seams working.

But clearly the lever on the heater valve was not moving ... at all.

I suspect that the heater vavle motor may be defect. What do you think?

Since I was unable to measure anything on the electrical water pump, I just wonder if there is a fuse I did not found, or may be my measure was not good? Any idea?

Is there by the way a climate ECU located somewhere in the boot?

In the case I have to replace the vavle, has anybody have an idea of the price? I got the following codes :

BOSCH
    AXF 12V
    0 390 721 006 [944]

Can we purschase it directly from a BOSCH dealer? Or is it only reseal by Ferrari?

Any other idea are more than welcome.

As usual, I thank you in advance for your support.

Regards,
    Christophe.

11. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    See if anything here helps you at all.

12. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
  13. Uberpower

Uberpower Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 6, 2004

Dan- move to Houston. Problem solved. ;)

14. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    My heater control valve seems to be operating fine, open and close with the dash A\C off button. But I can hear the heat pump working, I got the car good and hot. Now it is about 80 degrees here tonite I would think it may sense the outside temp BUT, I've felt all of the connected water heater hoses and none of them feel the slighest bit warm. Not even if the pump (which is really used for low RPM's) wasn't working the circulation from the water pump alone should heat the lines. Is it possible the thermostat is stuck? But than wouldn't the car run hot? It seems to run a consistent 190 and both cooling fans turn on and off fine.

15. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Hi Merdav,

Thanks for the two doc you scanned.

The second one seams comming from the F355 usermanual. When the first one is not familiar to me.

This one has very detailed technical information (water pump current consumption, resistor value, ...) very valuable for the troubleshooting.

Where does it come from?

Bye for now,
    Christophe.

16. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    I just got back from FofLI, talked to louie (da man) turns out I was pressing down the STOP button on the console thinking it turns off the A/C. Well turns out it turns off everything but the blower for fresh air. So that button needs to be UP for A/C OR HEAT. Hope some of you have similair problem and not malfuctions.-MICHAEL