Shuey leaving... | FerrariChat

Shuey leaving...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by bostonmini, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Any predictions as to what happens to the Ferrari team after Schuey leaves? Will they stay on top? they have a great car this season, and may well next season...but if Shumi doesnt renew his contract....Uh oh...

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Schumi leaving is one thing, but worse yet the whole brain power (Todt, Brawn etc) are supposed to leave with him at the end of 2006 I believe. That is some huge blood drain.

OTOH it is all known well in advance so I'm quite sure a smart guy like Montezemolo plans ahead.

As far as driver speculation goes, it is all up in the air. Obviously Fisico and Massa are candidates, but IMHO they don't have 'it'. If I had to bet money, I'd say Alonso will one day drive the Ferrari. And win with it.

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    This is what really pisses me with Italians, even in their car design, etc. they do NOT look into the future and make the hard decisions.

It WAS/IS time for Brawn and the other guy to go. They have been fantastic, but why we have the services of the worlds best test driver it is time to start afresh.

When MS goes and the brains behind him also, I predict that Ferrari will drop right off like they were with Alesi and Berger.

Correct management of any company requires that you have long term plans ... Ferrari F1 has their head in the sand going yee ha!, we are winning and are not putting the steps inline for continual domination.

Maybe this is Todt's fault ... but be brave Ferrari time for fresh blood!

Pete

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    We can only hope that Ross and Jean are taking Jr Engineers and having them be mentored by the powers that be so that they can take over the team when the day comes.

As for drivers??? that is a good question, I am sure once MS retires that every driver will be lining up at Ferrari begging for a ride.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

5. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Woo!
    Thanks tifosi_12 for reminding me about Todt and Brawn leaving in 2006.
    I wonder who will replace them? Anyway I just hope the team will be as good.

Now for the drivers, its either Fisichella or Massa who will replace Michael. And for Barichello , I don't see him driving a Ferrari for many years to come.

6. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    I didn't know Todt was leaving. Do you know why he is leaving? He has done so much for Ferrari, and, according to him, loves Ferrari. He probably even bleeds Rossa Corsa. So I hope his leaving means he is going into retirement, and not to another team. And also, this is off the topic of Formula 1, but I heard rumors that even when Michael retires from Formula 1, he is going to be involved with the engineering of new road cars. Does this have any merit?

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well "leaving" is maybe too strong a word for Todt & Co. It is more that their contracts will expire, but it is kinda assumed that they will retire afterwards. At this moment all is speculation, including whether MS will work on the development side of Ferrari street cars or not.

Regardless I would expect major changes in a few years times. I don't really see Fisico in that seat as he isn't the youngest anymore either (although it is true, that he hopes the Sauber seat will serve as a jumping board). Massa could make it agewise, talentwise we'll see next year.

8. ART360

ART360 Guest

The brains are Lucia. The balance is hired help.

Art

9. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think Rubens is about to start his last season at Ferrari and Michael will be "training" Alonso in 2005 to be the number one driver in 2006/2007 season at that time there could be a new driver around to fill the number two slot that we don't even know about yet, but Kimi would still be only about 27/28 so I could see him there also, except in the past Ron Dennis has always kept his drivers for the long term. I agree that it is Brawn and Todt replacements that will be tough to replace.

10. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I would say that oversimplifies it a bit, Art. Yes, he assembled the team, but he hired a team with the experience and brainpower to get it done. As we've seen, "hired help" and a big checkbook is no guarantee of success.

11. ART360

ART360 Guest

Gilles, you're right, but as long as he's there, my sense is that he won't allow this to sink. Look at what he has done with the company in general. No, I think that he's the most responsible for the success because he found the people, left them alone, and ensured that they got the job done. He went through several groups of people before he found these guys, and I suspect, when they all leave, he'll make sure that the team, sooner, rather than later, gets back to the top.

Art

12. ART360

ART360 Guest

Gilles:

I forgot: Think Dallas, and Parcells and you'll see my reasoning.

Art

13. Anthony_Ferrari

Anthony_Ferrari Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Sheffield, UK
    Full Name:
    Anthony Currie
    The latest I heard about Michael's plans were that he is going to see what the new Bridgestones are like in January. If they aren't up to the job then Michael won't do the 2004 season. As for his replacement, I think Massa is being groomed as a successor. Massa is managed by Jean Todt's son so it looks pretty certain that he will one day join the Scuderia.
    I think Michael will only retire if he thinks the new tyres are hopeless. If there is hope Michael will drive - it's what he lives for. Corrina (Michael's wife) has started to get more nervous than before about Michael being in an accident. She was very shocked when Ralf crashed and had to miss a race this season.
    Interesting times ahead. I think the McLaren will be awesome this season, but I don't think DC will be any kind of a threat to Kimi.

14. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Art, funny you chose Dallas as an example. We were just talking about that, comparing them to the Bears and the difference good leadership can make. You're point about Luca is right, though.

Hey, BTW, what about ART360?

15. ferrari_kid

ferrari_kid Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2003
    hmm...well they let jeff gordan race jpm's F1 and he did pretty good. how do you think he'd handle a ferrari?

16. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Ack... then I'd have to be a BMW fan. ;)

17. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by ferrari_kid
    hmm...well they let jeff gordan race jpm's F1 and he did pretty good. how do you think he'd handle a ferrari?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great then we would have a bunch of Banjo picking beer bonging rednecks F#$%ing up the atmosphere of a F1 race. That is all i want to do is leave the track smelling like a brewery, because Alonso passed Gordon and a beer fight broke out.

18. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How do you know ANY of this for fact? Are you currently on Montezemolo's staff?

19. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Good entrance, Mr. Opus. Or is it Mr. Green?

That's the way to make friends here.

20. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    Parcells only goes into a situation where he knows he can win. certain things have to be in place b4 he makes a move. he is a great coach but he wasn't running to Detroit. At Ferrari everything is already in place to be a winner, look for them to make a run at JPM or Kimi.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, just watching what is currently happening and reading about Ferrari's history and this is how they have alway played the game!

That is how I see it anyway.

Pete

22. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    at least here in europe we have to face this situation since MS is driving f1! and you won't believe how many "ferrari fans" came out of the woods all of a sudden after MS joined ferrari. believe me, when i'm visiting a GP i'm ashamed to wear any ferrari stuff (i have a nice sauber cap and shirt for this reason ;))

trevi

23. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    LOL, I'm looking for a nice Minardi shirt to wear at the next F1 race!

Don't count Ruben's out. He's Brazillian but of Italian descent, and speaks great Italian. I think he would do fine if MS was out of the picture, it must be hard to be in such a long shadow.