Klein gets second seat at Jag | FerrariChat

Klein gets second seat at Jag

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by beast, Dec 2, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  2. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I don`t know if Jaguar made the right move...
    Some say he`s just an average driver and some say he`s really fast. I`v also heard people saying Jaguar signed him just due to the money he brings to the team.

BTW ... I could see J. Wilson being a Jaguar test driver for next year.

3. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

J . Wilson ripped into the whole affair a bit when he mentioned (and I"m paraphrasing from memory) "... it's not even a matter of who's quicker, but who brings the most money to the table..." I hear him on that, 100%!

Also, per the new FIA rules, a driver that competed in 6 or more GP's in the last two seasons is ineligable for a testing seat effective 1, 2004. Idiotic. Wilson is quick, and has a ****load of heart... I share his frustrations -- more than ever!

4. ART360

ART360 Guest

On almost all of the teams, its about the money. Since, except for a very few people, the drivers are all pretty much equal, the money is the deciding factor. I wonder how much money he brought. Had to be in the 10s of millions.

Art

5. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Klein's got Red Bull behind him. Couldn't guess as to the amount, but the math works out nicely; i.e., Austrian Driver (hometown hero type) and Austrian Co. equals a likely marriage of interests. We'll have to wait to see if he lives up to all the elegant prose on his behalf coming from Jaguar materializes in race trim. At any rate, I wish them all luck -- especually Wilson ; truely , dog eat dog.

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    looking at the testing times. the kid is 1.5 - 2 seconds slower than webber. What a Joke Bring bucks and you can flounder at the back of the pack all you want.

Perhaps i will win the powerball and blow my bundle of cash for the right to drive in F1. LOL

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

7. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Got one name for ya: Yoong. Remember that debacle?

8. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    I think this is just for the friday testing... correct?

9. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    I would certainly rate Klein higher than Yoong. He has won the German Formula Renault Championship and in his first year of F3 he contested the Euroseries (effectively the French and German championships put together) and came second with three wins. He also, and most significantly, won the Marlboro Masters event at Zandvoort. That's not a bad cv by any stretch.

Havng said that it is obvious the only reason he got the drive is the $15 million from Red Bull, I think this could be a precursor to Red Bull buying the Jaguar outfit. There's no shame in buying your way into F1 though, a certain Michael Schumacher did this through Mercedes money with Jordan and Rubens Barrichello did this with Jordan for a couple of years as well.

Personally I dont see what all the fuss is about Justin Wilson. Sure when he was qualifying at the back of the grid with Minardi he would make up some places on the opening lap, but then it is relatively easy when you start at the back...Once he started racing the Jaguar and qualifying higher up all of a sudden it was a lot more difficult.

Best
    Mark

10. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    MS driving for Jordan was a one shot deal since the normal driver was injail for beating up a cabbie in England i recall. After that Flavio snatched up Michael and the rest was history.

Rob Guess "The Other Rob"

11. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Couldn't care less about Klein, but Hubert's quote was a bit of a shock:
    Is that really true? Haven't heard it and don't understand its purpose at all. What this effectively does is throw out people who just lucked out of a seat. And basically destroys their career. It would have meant the end for Heidfeld in 2004.

Whoever came up with this one, must have a keen interest in getting new names and blood into the system. Some talent searching managers come to mind. Strange.