575---- strange smell | FerrariChat

575---- strange smell

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by mw575, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Last few times driving the car with driver's window open after stepping on the throttle to pass, an acrid burning smell wafted into the cockpit through the open window.No smell when driving gingerly.
    Have an F1 with tubi and stebro straight pipes on.
    The smell is like a burnt rubber or burnt clutch smell but there in no discenible clutch slippage and didn't burn any rubber passing after down-shifting from4th to 3rg at 50mph.
    Car has 5k mi.
    Wonder if it's an exhaust leak or some burnt carbon residue in the line?
    Any ideas??
    Will probably bring to dealer tomorrow.

2. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    sorry marty, haven't noticed anything similar..........coming up on 2500 miles now
    be curious to know though

3. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    I don't know if this is the same thing

But I had a fuel smell coming into my 550 at times.
    I turned out to be the fuel tank vent pipe seals.

Probably not the same thing
    but just my 2cts

4. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Wazza: was this in your trunk? My car used to do this as well.

Martin: so did you notice it while changing gears or trundling along? Was it relatively short? I wouldn't worry much if so, but if it continues, definetly have it checked out. Clutch could be slipping under change for an excessive amount of time? I'm unfamiliar witht he mechanicals of the F1.

--Dan

5. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Mine smells of hot rubber when driven hard. Very similar to any of my cars when they're still relatively new. The 575 has about 2k on it right now and gets driven in 30 mile bursts most of the time. I haven't noticed any unpleasant odors. My Z8 however really stinks of unburned fuel when it's been hammered.

6. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Guys,thanks.
    It happens after I have hammered it with or without a downshift and on second thought does smell more like burnt rubber,as Alex mentioned.Then when I am off the heavy foot for a few minutes the smell dissipates.

7. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Marty, nothing to worry about. I get the same smell all the time from my car (at least once a week) and the blue moon where friends punch theirs out. To others, its not noticible, but I pick up on it every time. Definitely smells like burnt rubber.

I think it means your doing something right ;)

8. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Dan,

The smell was in the trunk as well as the cockpit.

Had it fixed which meant a fuel tank removal job.

Cured

Wazza

9. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Taking it in tomorrow-will post update,
    (Now I have to hope I can duplicate the problem with the service Mgr next to me.)

10. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    By chance was Ellen in your car?

11. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Mike-That's below the belt!
    Guys-Took it to Tonkin-svce mgr drove-The second he hammered it a waft of smell came thru the cabin-He was sure it was from the exhaust system "a sulphuric smell from the cats"
    They did a complete check of clutch,exhaust system-looking for leaks,etc,etc and found nada.The computer read all systems O.K.
    They are checking with FNA but it looks like I'll have to live with it for now.

12. StoryBook

StoryBook F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 1, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    MPL
    I'll go hammer on mine tonight and see if I can smell anything!:)

13. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    yeah, the damn computer seems to always read all systems okay unless it's screwed up itslef and falsely reports all systems not okay :).

i think maybe they need to hire some german programmers for that computer instead of italian ones ;).

doody.

14. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    the svce mgr told me today,he thinks the problem is the stebro straight pipes and suggests putting back the tubi central resonator and see if that corrects the smell problem.

15. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    I think the SM has been sucking gas fumes too long. Unless the Stebro is new, there shouldn't be any smell from it. If labels were left on it, they burn off, but shouldn't be an issue. is something leaking onto the Stebro? Why does he think a piece of metal should smell?
    Lee

16. mw575

mw575 F1 Rookie

May 30, 2001
    Lake Oswego,Or
    Full Name:
    Martin J Weiner,M.D.
    Here is serv.mgr explanation as possibility.
    By putting on a tubi one creates a high flow exhaust system so that the exhaust gases are exposed to the cats a shorter time thus less breakdown of noxious substances,When srt pipes are added to the system,2 silencers are removed further adding to the high flow since the silencers(mufflers) would have further restricted the flow and now it is an even higher flow exhaust.
    Of course this begs the question as to why now since this system has been on the car for the last 2500 miles???

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Well, if that's the case, then his scope is broken, since it should have set off a CEL. no light, his premise is false. No fault codes, ditto.
    2500 miles plenty of time. Usually, the cycles of faults reset if only occurs once (and is non-emission) after about 14-16 miles.
    The cats shouldn't see much change in flow, unless you run WFO all the time. Backpressure shouldn't change much since the pipe diameter is fixed. only packing removed. Works in human airways, works in exhausts.
    Flow is life 8^)
    Lee

18. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002

A brilliant explanation! :D

--Dan

19. peter mac

peter mac Karting

Nov 25, 2003
    Marty,

My 550 has the same smell. I also have Tubi solo tips and Stebro center section - noticed the smell within two days of putting on the Stebro section. Did not have the smell before, have put approximately 100 miles on the street and a day at the Sebring track. The smell is still there, nothing has burnt up??

If you find any solution I would love to hear about it.

Peter