328 fuel pump leaking | FerrariChat

328 fuel pump leaking

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Dla, Dec 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dla

Dla Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Jacksonville FL
    Full Name:
    Lee Anderson
    I have a fuel 'weep' at the north end of my fuel pump. I have tried to tighten the nut at the end of the pump to tighten the seal, but I still have a small leak.
    Has anyone replaced the fuel pump or just the seals that lead to the fuel accumulator on a 328? How labor intensive is this and is there anything I should know before I do this.
    Thanks,
    Lee

2. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    There aren't any 'seals' per se.

The pump-accumulator line uses flare fittings that seal by compression against the mating fitting, so you're going to have to pull things apart to see what the problem is. My suspicion is that there's a crack where the fitting attaches to the fuel pump.

You'll either have to drain the fuel tanks, or else use vice-grips and a couple of small wood blocks to clamp off the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump. Unless you know this fuel line is pretty new I'd drain the tanks & replace it at the same time.

Also, disconnect the battery as you'll be disconnecting the fuel pump power wire.

The fuel pump & accumulator are mounted on a lightweight metal plate that is attached to the chassis by 3 rubber stand-offs. This plate bends easily so it's best to disconnect the line between the accumulator and fuel filter & pull the entire plate/pump/accumulator assembly. Otherwise you'll seriously bend the plate just trying to break the fuel lines loose(ask me how I know)...

You can do everything with jack stands, and relatively minor contortions. Pull the driver's side wheel to get it out of the way (not strictly necessary, but makes access more convenient.)