Short block, 348, 355, 360 Similarities? | FerrariChat

Short block, 348, 355, 360 Similarities?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ILMAESTRO, Dec 3, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Does anyone know if the short blocks of the 348, 355, 360 are similar?
    I know the stroke is different and the bore is the same!
    What about bearing spacement, size, etc. Are some of the parts interchangeable? Any feedback welcome!

2. Ricardo

Ricardo Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Portugal
    Full Name:
    Ricardo
    ILMAESTRO - So... You want to upgrade the Mondial's engine?

That should be fun! A 355 engined Mondial! (I really love the sound of those 355's upgraded to 9.200 rpm redline)

3. ILMAESTRO

ILMAESTRO Karting

Dec 29, 2002
    Yes, it could do with more power, specially low end! Applying good American hod rodding technic might be the way, longer stroke! I have noticed that all 3 engines have the same bore. Stroking the motor might be the way to go without spending $50K, Its easy to have pistons and rods made up over here. For that matter a crank as well.

Easy way to get 30 to 40 additional HPs'

4. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    There is no "easy way" to get 40-50 more HP out of a Ferrari engine. Trust me the engine buiders of these engine are pretty smart and i there would have been a way to Hot-Rod that type of power out of the engine for small spare change they would have done it!

Fact is the block of most V8s is the same. If memory serves me right (and it rarely does) the block was unchanged for 20+years and recently with the 355 it received a change.

I don't think you can simply and cheaply "make" rods for these engines.

5. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    want some quick HP and instant gratification, get test pipes and replace the CATS. Eric here on the board sells great pipes for 348 engines. They are way less than Tubi and great quality. You can order from him and they will give you increase of I guess 15HP min. The difference on my 348 as tremendous!

If you can not find Erics number e-mail me and I will send it to you.

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Carello would make rods for any motor and they are great rods. You would have to watch the rod length as a longer stroke with the same deck height means shorter rods, which is a bad thing for power. Unless you did a real hot rod technique and moved the gudgeon pin hole up into the ring groove area ... thus maintaining the same rod length.

Er, he is suggesting making the engine bigger, thus easy is a relative term. This is what Ferrari did to make more hp, so it does make sense, and is a good way of NOT increasing the stress on the engines' components.

If the bores are the same, can you simply put 348 heads on a 360 block? ( why not just put a 360 engine in a 348?)

Pete

7. ART360

ART360 Guest

360 motor in a 348. Too much power in a car not capable of handling the extra power. Need to replace rear end, trany, etc. Not a good idea. Buy a 360, avoid lunacy.

Art

8. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If the 348 in question has the especial (or later) rear subframe, it is essentially the same as the F355 rear sub frame and carries the F355 suspension geometry. {Yes, I know they hang the transmission differently}. The power difference between an 360 and an F355 is not that great (375 versus 395), and the TQ is essentially equal. I would be more woried about the transmission dealing with nearly 100 more HP (25%) than the suspension and chassis.

More problematic is the air inlets. The 360 air inlet manifold is taller than the 348/355, and it would not look correct with a hole in the rear deck.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I was on Nick's Forza website, he is Rob's longest sponsor, and he is punching out a Ferrari engine to FOUR liters. How is that for displacment. He has a bunch of pics up with the engine being built. Nothing yet on the power out put, but I'm betting it is gonna be pretty impressive. Anyway go check it out.