355 Engine Light Again | FerrariChat

355 Engine Light Again

Discussion in '348/355' started by DrewH, Dec 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DrewH

DrewH F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    On what might be my last drive in my 355 Spider for the season I had to park it on a sour note. The check engine light is on again?

I was winding out on a nice stretch with no one around and the light came on. The car now is rough starting and seems to want to stall for the first couple of minutes of idling.

I'm all worried that I over revved it or something?

Loosing sleep until a nice day when I can get it to the dealership.

DrewH

2. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    Do you have a K&N filter in the car. Almost sounds like a mass airflow sensor problem to me. The wire is coated with oil and is having a hard time getting proper air readings causing the ECU to constantly search for proper idle speed. Not sure if this is an issue on the F355 but I know it is a constant battle with the BMWs.

3. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I would suspect the alternator. My 512TR runs rough when the battery is low

4. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    My check engine light came on last night.

Starts and runs fine. Drove home 20 minutes no light then stopped at the store for ten minutes. when I restarted the light was on. Stays on now when i start the car, but it runs fine.

What are potential causes for the light to come on? Are the catastrophic or simple symptoms?

Stan

5. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    Occasional problem in my 512TR. Turning off battery, waiting 1 min and turning it back on always fixes it for a few weeks. Sensitive emission components and has no effect on drivability.

6. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    plug in a OBD2 analyzer and find the codes it is throwing. Post the codes on this board. Members will help you with the factory code identification. Be aware that engine misfiring can lead to significant repair bills

7. PBRacer

PBRacer Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Where do i get an OBD2 analyzer? and where do i plug it in?

Stan

8. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    You can get an OBDII plug and lead off E-bay, not so sure about the software, I've been playing about with Rosstechs VAG-COM with a degree of success with a friends 355 (Euro spec)

All up think the OBD plug and software was about $120 (still hugely cheaper than the Ferrari OBD kit at $32000!)

9. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    The government demanded that all cars coming from Europe, etc. have a common computer hookup under the steering wheel. Based on the year of the car's manufacture is has to be either obd1 or obd2 compliant. You can get the analyzer for $120 or so from www.partsamerica.com It will come with a manual telling you what some of the codes are. Other codes are supposed to be "secret factory" codes. but there are guys on the board who can tell you what a specific code is for. There has been some debate on the board about whether the engine should be running. My analyzer was very specific and said the ignition had to be on but not the engine. Just follow the directions and try not to fry an ECU as they are very salty. Good luck

10. bgomez

bgomez Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    My check engine light came on today for the second time. First time I started up the car before the check ok light came on and idle was very rough. Turned off the car, waited for check ok, started up fine but check engine light stayed on for what seemed about 4 or 5 startups and after that it was fine. This time I waited for check ok and instrument panel lights were doing weird things and making weird noises. I cycled the alarm/locks and it started fine but check engine light stayed on. Again, after 5 startups everything is fine and check engine light is off.
    Bill

11. LeoExotic

LeoExotic Karting

Nov 29, 2003
    Manalapan, NJ
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    go to autozone they have an obd 2 analyzer service, its free.